Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Benefits Street

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

Benefits Street

Old 13-01-2014, 21:22   #1
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Benefits Street

A thread to discuss the TV show that sparked so much controversy last week. Episode 2 airs on Channel 4 at 9pm tonight.

Please note, this is for discussion of the TV show, how it has been made and the people featured in it. We have a current affairs thread for discussing welfare policy, please try not to confuse the two.

---------- Post added at 21:22 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

20 minutes in and I'm giving up.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-01-2014, 21:25   #2
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Benefits Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
A thread to discuss the TV show that sparked so much controversy last week. Episode 2 airs on Channel 4 at 9pm tonight.

Please note, this is for discussion of the TV show, how it has been made and the people featured in it. We have a current affairs thread for discussing welfare policy, please try not to confuse the two.

---------- Post added at 21:22 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

20 minutes in and I'm giving up.
I watched one last week and just got mad ,I decided that putting cretins like those on TV was not a good idea
Old 13-01-2014, 21:59   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It was mildly annoying seeing people living their lives in such ignorance but it was mostly annoying for the complete lack of any analysis or context. I have better things to do than simply gawp at unemployed people like some sort of Victorian freak show.
Old 14-01-2014, 09:49   #4
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

If I wanted to watch the unemployed I'd just look in a mirror lol.

Failing that I am in the East End of Glasgow, plenty of areas like that around here.
Old 14-01-2014, 09:56   #5
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

It reminded me of a previous area I worked in. Same piles of rubbish, same cast of characters from the local junkies to the 'ill' whose ailments and crutches vanished if they needed to run from the Police.

It's all just a bit depressing. For every one trying to better the area or themselves there are plenty more who just take, take, take with no thought to anyone else.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 10:16   #6
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

This is just another example of a media hatchet job. These days a lot of people think this is how it is everywhere. I'm sure there good AND bad examples of people. Of course shows like this get far more viewers / publicity by showing the bad ones.

But what still gets me is whey the people in it allow the cameras / 'documentary' makers to do such a hatchet job on them. Surely they have a little common sense and know what's coming?

Anyway I'm sure it'll continue to be a good ratings show and will be back for another series.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 10:24   #7
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw View Post
This is just another example of a media hatchet job. These days a lot of people think this is how it is everywhere. I'm sure there good AND bad examples of people. Of course shows like this get far more viewers / publicity by showing the bad ones.

But what still gets me is whey the people in it allow the cameras / 'documentary' makers to do such a hatchet job on them. Surely they have a little common sense and know what's coming?

Anyway I'm sure it'll continue to be a good ratings show and will be back for another series.
exactly you can almost see Cameron in a Burns esq pose cackling to himself thinking this is what I want them to believe
Old 14-01-2014, 10:27   #8
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Only the uneducated and ignorant will think this is representative of the vast majority of people who are unemployed as l know or have known quite a few people who get benefits and they are nothing like the portrayel's depicted on rubbish like this.
Old 14-01-2014, 10:37   #9
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Only the uneducated and ignorant will think this is representative of the vast majority of people who are unemployed as l know or have known quite a few people who get benefits and they are nothing like the portrayel's depicted on rubbish like this.
You'd think so - but many and I include a lot of posters on here just don't think that way.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 10:38   #10
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

They wanted to make a show that got people talking. Job done.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 10:48   #11
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw View Post
You'd think so - but many and I include a lot of posters on here just don't think that way.
The trouble is with some of the media in this country is that many have certain agenda's at misrepresenting certain groups and suffice to say this is just one of them as yes there is a small minority who abuse things but the vast majority do not but alas if you shout loud enough people will believe it and regard it as the truth sadly.
Old 14-01-2014, 10:53   #12
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

An awful show that belongs in the Daily Mail.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 01:34   #13
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Found it quite upsetting and really depressing tbh, will not be watching it again so sad those little ones really don't stand a chance God Love Them...
Old 16-01-2014, 20:51   #14
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Watched the first 2 episodes today. Didn't find it upsetting, in fact found it to be quite interesting and educational. I didn't know that lining your bag with tin foil should/could evade rfid tags.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 21:02   #15
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

What are you planning to do with that information then?