Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sue Barker leaving "A Question of Sport"

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

Sue Barker leaving "A Question of Sport"

Old 13-09-2020, 22:42   #1
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Sue Barker leaving "A Question of Sport"

A Question of Sport host Sue Barker is leaving the BBC quiz show after 24 years, as part of a major shake-up at the programme.

Team captains Matt Dawson and Phil Tufnell will also depart the long-running sports quiz show.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54135771
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-09-2020, 06:47   #2
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Sue Barker leaving "A Question of Sport"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
A Question of Sport host Sue Barker is leaving the BBC quiz show after 24 years, as part of a major shake-up at the programme.

Team captains Matt Dawson and Phil Tufnell will also depart the long-running sports quiz show.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54135771
Why?.
Old 14-09-2020, 10:51   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Someone at the BBC has decided the show needs fixing, and has sacked (or rather declined to offer new contracts to) all three of the show's regulars. QoS will be back, but most likely in name only. The fact that it's only ever had three hosts in 50 years, with Sue Barker doing almost half of it, gives you a clue how little it's actually changed in all that time.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 12:25   #4
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I forgot they still made it. Always found it quite tedious to be honest.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 12:35   #5
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from The Sun:
Sue Barker insisted she didn't quit A Question Of Sport and was "removed" from the job by the BBC.

The former tennis player, 64, was axed from the sports quiz alongside team captains Matt Dawson and Phil Tufnell so bosses can revamp it.

But Sue - who is the face of Wimbledon for the BBC - said she wouldn't have left the show and only did because she was "removed".

"I love the show so much they would have to remove me, it would have been tough for me to walk away.

"I absolutely loved my 24 years fronting A Question Of Sport, it's been my dream job," she told the Daily Mail.

"But I understand the BBC want to take the show in a new direction and I'm sad to say goodbye."
A new direction? Obviously the existing show is insuficiently woke.

Last edited by heero_yuy; 14-09-2020 at 12:38. Reason: Daily Mail link restored.
heero_yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 20:16   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Generally speaking, I find "a new direction" makes things worse.

I stopped watching this some 25 years ago (when David Coleman was still doing it).

Given Sue is 64, she should be happy to retire.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 15:41   #7
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Sadly, Question of Sport no longer satisfies the new era in which Diversity, Gender Awareness, Disability, Equal Rights and Socioeconomic values play such an important role.
actually it's not a quote, I just made it up . . bet it's not far off though
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 10:44   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Generally speaking, I find "a new direction" makes things worse.
agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Given Sue is 64, she should be happy to retire.
I am happy for her to keep hosting Wimbledon. I don't know how long she has been doing it for but it is defo been more than 25 years because I started watching it in 1993 and she was hosting it back then.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 12:28   #9
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Someone at the BBC has decided the show needs fixing, and has sacked (or rather declined to offer new contracts to) all three of the show's regulars. QoS will be back, but most likely in name only. The fact that it's only ever had three hosts in 50 years, with Sue Barker doing almost half of it, gives you a clue how little it's actually changed in all that time.
I suspect you are right. It could be a new producer, just wanting to put their mark on the show I've worked in a few offices where a new manager has come in and changed stuff seemingly for no reason. Often it was because they wanted to make their mark.

I've even read that a few years ago, a new Producer joined Eastenders. He joined, and a few weeks later, introduced a storyline that ultimately killed two of the main characters. It is rumoured he was sending a message to the cast, that he was in charge. Entirely possible, but still a rumour.

OK, so the EE Producer didn't kill off the entire cast, but maybe the new producer is trying to change things. After all, if the change is successful, then the new producer can argue on their CV that they successfully rebooted a successful UK TV franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I forgot they still made it. Always found it quite tedious to be honest.
Same here. I used to watch it when I was a kid, but, TBH, that was because we only had one colour TV, and my dad enjoyed it. Not like now, when if anyone in the family wants to watch something (be it on TV or online), they have dozens of different ways they can watch it.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 12:52   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I suspect you are right. It could be a new producer, just wanting to put their mark on the show I've worked in a few offices where a new manager has come in and changed stuff seemingly for no reason. Often it was because they wanted to make their mark.

I've even read that a few years ago, a new Producer joined Eastenders. He joined, and a few weeks later, introduced a storyline that ultimately killed two of the main characters. It is rumoured he was sending a message to the cast, that he was in charge. Entirely possible, but still a rumour.

OK, so the EE Producer didn't kill off the entire cast, but maybe the new producer is trying to change things. After all, if the change is successful, then the new producer can argue on their CV that they successfully rebooted a successful UK TV franchise.

Same here. I used to watch it when I was a kid, but, TBH, that was because we only had one colour TV, and my dad enjoyed it. Not like now, when if anyone in the family wants to watch something (be it on TV or online), they have dozens of different ways they can watch it.
Almost certainly true, but it won’t be the day to day series producer - someone who will have had the authority to make wholesale changes like this will be higher up the food chain. The BBC’s internal structuring is arcane in the extreme (W1A is not at all far from the truth), but it has a department called ‘in-house entertainment’ which may or may not be located within the Entertainment and Music division, which is itself located within BBC Productions. A new senior director somewhere in that reporting line is most likely responsible.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 12:43   #11
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Speculation in the red tops is that Alex Scott is being lined up for Sue's role.

BAME ☑
Woman ☑

Several more boxes need ticks though.
Old 18-09-2020, 12:50   #12
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Its not just in the red tops either now as l would say its a cast iron certainty that she will become the new host of QOS.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...on-sport-host/
Old 18-09-2020, 14:50   #13
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Speculation in the red tops is that Alex Scott is being lined up for Sue's role.

BAME ☑
Woman ☑

Several more boxes need ticks though.
Maybe, but it's also entirely possible the Sue Barker herself decided to leave.
After all, she is near retirement age, and even if she isn't going to retire, she has done the same job for a long time, so may have decided she wanted a change. Maybe they picked a woman who is apparently a well liked broadcaster, as well as an international sports woman . Exactly the same as Sue Barker was when she started.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 15:14   #14
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

If you look at the quote in post #5 she is reported as saying it was the BBC that "removed" her rather than her wanting to quit.