Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 20-02-2020, 21:32   #2476
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: [Updated] The UK’s future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Looks like that perfidious Vardkar has at last been stiffed.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...F-il-Fine-Gael

Might help the negotiations.

Varadkar or Sinn Fein, who do you prefer?
Advertisement
Old 20-02-2020, 21:43   #2477
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
The poll had nothing to do with the EU...
Where's your sense of humour?

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Obviously not Varadkar. Who ever else becomes their PM will have the opportunity to avoid perfidy.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 20-02-2020, 21:47   #2478
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
The poll had nothing to do with the EU...
i didn't mention poll.
Old 20-02-2020, 22:00   #2479
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Irrelevant, unless you are eligible to vote in the Irish elections.

I prefer, whoever the Irish vote for.
Old 22-02-2020, 23:01   #2480
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

From the gov.uk website - our new "blue" British passport*.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/i...urn-next-month
Quote:
Britons will be able to travel with a blue passport when the traditional colour returns for the first time in almost 30 years.

The distinctive blue cover will be re-introduced now the UK has left the EU, and will replace burgundy passports which were gradually rolled out from 1988.

The first new passports will be issued and delivered early next month. Full introduction will be phased in and from mid-2020 all new passports will be blue.

Looks black** to me - I suppose I just have to believe it’s blue more...

*made in Poland by a French company

(**Same colour as my passport from the 80’s, which I still have (with the corner cut off).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4307C986-C3D7-48CD-B3A0-61F7321D8E0C.jpeg (167.0 KB, 86 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 22-02-2020, 23:13   #2481
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The pre-EU passport has always been described as blue even though it was a very dark shade (I think it’s what you call “midnight blue” ... my first car was that colour). I don’t think there’s much (any) controversy here. For those who value the symbolism of the colour change, reverting to the same very dark shade of the pre-EU passport will be much more in line with their hopes than some of the lighter blue mock-ups that appeared in the media when the change was first announced.
Old 22-02-2020, 23:15   #2482
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

My blue passport with serial number 200200A also contains the autographs of the 1966 England football team, including Bobby Moore, Alan Ball, etc.

I think it's right to further differentiate ourselves from the EU in this way.

Btw, I learnt at school maths that differentiation was the opposite of integration. Funny that.

Old 22-02-2020, 23:29   #2483
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I actually prefer the black tone to the blue. Looks more sleek and professional.
Old 22-02-2020, 23:56   #2484
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Could be pink with yellow stripes for all I care.
Old 23-02-2020, 09:55   #2485
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Could be pink with yellow stripes for all I care.
Nah, that would look awful.

I think they should have gone more radical though. The ones in Norway are amazing: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...assport-design

The symbolism of changing the passport should have been to something altogether new rather than reverting to the past although I don't really care that much.
Old 23-02-2020, 11:02   #2486
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The pre-EU passport has always been described as blue even though it was a very dark shade (I think it’s what you call “midnight blue” ... my first car was that colour). I don’t think there’s much (any) controversy here. For those who value the symbolism of the colour change, reverting to the same very dark shade of the pre-EU passport will be much more in line with their hopes than some of the lighter blue mock-ups that appeared in the media when the change was first announced.
From the gov.uk passport application site - even they aren’t sure...

Black is blue, and war is peace, ignorance is strength, Airstrip One has always had a blue passport, etc...

btw, here’s the mock up Theresa May showed people..

Now that’s blue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3EB66544-76AD-4AA4-8D92-CA843E96D994.jpeg (22.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpeg 3D6D6D93-B6BF-40C7-AD3E-F5C159508823.jpeg (15.8 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by Hugh; 23-02-2020 at 11:08.
Old 24-02-2020, 10:01   #2487
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Nah, that would look awful.

I think they should have gone more radical though. The ones in Norway are amazing: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...assport-design

The symbolism of changing the passport should have been to something altogether new rather than reverting to the past although I don't really care that much.
I like the Swiss passport - https://www.ofs.ch/products-services...tems/passport/

And the New Zealand one - https://images.app.goo.gl/eUcM9KUQMCcnQqtd8

In other news, the CBI have published what they would like to see from an ongoing relationship with the EU - https://www.cbi.org.uk/articles/the-...-relationship/
Old 26-02-2020, 18:58   #2488
Sephiroth
Simples

I see that positions are hardening.

UK is saying that fishing rights are not part of the trade negotiations. The EU is adamant on the opposite.

UK is saying we will be sovereign and not subject to any EU rules. The EU is adamant that their rules/standards will be the reference point.

We talk about our "European friends"; they talk about our "British friends". Isn't it time that this patronising language changed - especially from our side?

Old 27-02-2020, 10:26   #2489
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...10riyo?ocid=sf
Quote:
Boris Johnson is poised to abandon part of the Brexit deal he signed with Brussels setting up a furious row with the EU when the trade talks get underway next month.

The Government will publish its negotiating mandate later today after Number 10 cast serious doubts over whether it will stick to promises it made in the political declaration it signed alongside the withdrawal agreement.

Downing Street sources suggested the declaration the Prime Minister signed setting out the framework for a future trade deal had been usurped by the Tories’ manifesto, which helped the party secure a thumping general election victory.

On Wednesday, the Prime Minister's official spokesman said the “political declaration was agreed alongside the withdrawal agreement and sets out aspirations and parameters for the upcoming negotiations on the future relationship”. The spokesman added: "The political declaration is clear that this will be based on a free trade agreement."

While not legally-binding, the political declaration is an international agreement signed between the European Commission and the UK Government.
Old 27-02-2020, 10:45   #2490
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

ooh le sob, le sob.