Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media UK to remove V+ HD Boxes from network

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media UK to remove V+ HD Boxes from network

Old 13-03-2019, 18:10   #1
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Virgin Media UK to remove V+ HD Boxes from network

Since Monday (March 11th) Media Boy Sources has reveal that it look like Virgin Media are set to remove V+ HD Boxes from the network soon.

My Source has told me that they have seen an on screen info saying "This is an older box" and "You need to call us to order an new box".

But my Source say they have been given no news about the new box via Royal Mail. Or been given an date on when it will happen.

Can anyone confirm when the V+ Boxes will be removed?
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 13-03-2019 at 18:16.
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2019, 20:30   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media UK to remove V+ HD Boxes from network

They all should have been swapped by now. They've been in the process of being swapped since last year.

Anyone with an active V+ box should have had a least one mail via post or email about it. The end date for the swap was 28th February, with no guarantee of a working V+ box after that date.

Last edited by BenMcr; 13-03-2019 at 20:34.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 20:48   #3
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
They all should have been swapped by now. They've been in the process of being swapped since last year.

Anyone with an active V+ box should have had a least one mail via post or email about it. The end date for the swap was 28th February, with no guarantee of a working V+ box after that date.
But I was told the on-screen info just appeared on Monday on they box. It an V+ HD box. I know V Boxes was axe on January 29th.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 20:58   #4
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Is this all V+ boxes out of curiosity?
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 20:59   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Yes. All V+ boxes are being swapped out.

V HD boxes are also being swapped but as yet that's not all of them
Old 14-03-2019, 11:55   #6
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
But I was told the on-screen info just appeared on Monday on they box. It an V+ HD box. I know V Boxes was axe on January 29th.
Let the V+HD go MB or they'll send the bailiffs round ! Could there be a siege situation ?

(Actually the VHD i was quite fond of, a small quite box for the bedroom. However the V+ was a noisy unreliable piece of junk....)
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 12:24   #7
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Let the V+HD go MB or they'll send the bailiffs round ! Could there be a siege situation ?

(Actually the VHD i was quite fond of, a small quite box for the bedroom. However the V+ was a noisy unreliable piece of junk....)
Loved the VHD box excellent piece of Kit.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 12:31   #8
StevenNT
cf.addict

Services: 500Mb Hyperoptic, Sky Signature with HD, UHD and Ultimate On Demand
StevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about them

My parents used to have a V+ HD box was a Cisco version I think, it was certainly better than the legacy NTL Pace box at the time that got very slow after one of the major firmware updates in the NTL era.

Given how slow the Pace boxes got eventually, I wonder how long VM kept them going for, out of curiosity sake
StevenNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 13:02   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

AFAIK there were some still on the network until a few months ago. Now that they've gone, channels are gradually going HD only where possible.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 13:48   #10
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNT View Post
My parents used to have a V+ HD box was a Cisco version I think, it was certainly better than the legacy NTL Pace box at the time that got very slow after one of the major firmware updates in the NTL era.

Given how slow the Pace boxes got eventually, I wonder how long VM kept them going for, out of curiosity sake
Given the debt piles all the UK Cable companies created digged up the pavements I think it was partly trying to spend as little as possible in order to reduce the debt. So they kept them going until they keeled over.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 14:02   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
AFAIK there were some still on the network until a few months ago. Now that they've gone, channels are gradually going HD only where possible.
Those would have been Samsung SD only boxes.

I'm pretty sure the Pace SD boxes all went years ago.
Old 14-03-2019, 15:26   #12
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Given the debt piles all the UK Cable companies created digged up the pavements I think it was partly trying to spend as little as possible in order to reduce the debt. So they kept them going until they keeled over.
That wasn't really a factor. Most of the debt was written off very many years ago (2002-ish). Pace were still supplying new boxes up to 2004.

There just isn't any point in replacing boxes that are still able to provide all the services required of them.

Quote:
Those would have been Samsung SD only boxes.

I'm pretty sure the Pace SD boxes all went years ago.
A few Pace boxes were in use until last October. The batteries in them were designed to last 5 years, but some actually lasted almost 20.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 20:01   #13
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Just had a really arrogant guy on the phone who said he wanted to arrange to swap out our V HD box. I asked him for some evidence that he was from VM and he became quite offensive so I told him to 'go away', errr well words to that effect, and hung up on him.

We do have a V6 box and the V HD box which I see may well need replacing so ..after a long ramble... could someone confirm that the V HD box will need to be replaced and if so what will VM replace it with.

I thought VM would be contacting affected customers by email or post so if the phone call I have just been subjected to was legitimate would I need to contact VM to arrange the swap out process.
Old 14-03-2019, 20:47   #14
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Some V-HD boxes are being replaced now, so it probably is legit. Not sure whether you'd get a V6 or a TiVo 500GB as a replacement.

So you haven't had messages popping up on your box since Monday?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 20:49   #15
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
That wasn't really a factor. Most of the debt was written off very many years ago (2002-ish). Pace were still supplying new boxes up to 2004.

There just isn't any point in replacing boxes that are still able to provide all the services required of them.

A few Pace boxes were in use until last October. The batteries in them were designed to last 5 years, but some actually lasted almost 20.
Batteries? Were they designed to work during a power cut?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote