Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 29-05-2008, 19:14   #7501
davethejag
Inactive

davethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Hi All, I am an old Offshore Radio Pirate/Free Radio supporter and it has suddenly struck me that this old Pirate related music could have the words altered to suite our cause? -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLBq6Vu9KC4

Best to all, davethejag
Advertisement
Old 29-05-2008, 19:24   #7502
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

Congrats to all .. threads just gone past 500 pages!!
Old 29-05-2008, 19:28   #7503
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethejag View Post
Hi All, I am an old Offshore Radio Pirate/Free Radio supporter and it has suddenly struck me that this old Pirate related music could have the words altered to suite our cause? -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLBq6Vu9KC4

Best to all, davethejag

I Spy For The BTi
Old 29-05-2008, 19:53   #7504
serial
Inactive

serial is on a distinguished roadserial is on a distinguished road

My MP submitted a question to the Home Office and today I recieved a letter with the response. I've typed it out below:

Home Office
The Rt Hon Tony McNulty MP
Minister of State

Dear Serials MP

Thank you for your letter of 21 April to Vernon Coaker on behalf of Serial, who contacted you to express concern about targeted online advertising and the use of that technology by internet service providers. I am replying as the Minister responsible for the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA) which provides for the lawful interception of communications and the criminal offence of unlawful interception.

The Home Office has considered the issue of Targeted Online Advertising in general without specific regard to any particular application such as the one you mention. The Home Office came to the conclusion that it might be possible for Targeted Online Advertising services to be lawful under RIPA. It might also be the case that Targeted Online Advertising is delivered in a way that is not considered as interception as defined by RIPA. It does rather depend on how those services are offered and how they work. I should point out that we are, of course, unable to provide a definitive statement of the law, which only a court could give.

The Home Office does not take forward investigations or prosecutions under RIPA. The Investigatory Powers Tribunal investigates complaints about the alleged use of interception when conducted by state bodies such as the Police and Security Service, but does not investigate commercial companies. Any investigation of a complaint against a company for breaching RIPA legislation would need to be taken up by the police.

The Information Commissioner's Office has provided a view that Targetted Online Advertising could operate in a way that is in compliance with the Data Protection Act, but that he is keeping the targeted online advertising products under review and will be strongly influenced by the experience of those users who choose to participate in any trials and the way in which they are able to make that decision to participate.

Tony McNulty
Old 29-05-2008, 20:22   #7505
Cogster
Inactive

Cogster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial View Post
but that he is keeping the targeted online advertising products under review and will be strongly influenced by the experience of those users who choose to participate in any trials and the way in which they are able to make that decision to participate.

Tony McNulty
So the ICO waits to see what the 10,000 carefully selected 'vegetables' will say.

Figures..
Old 29-05-2008, 20:47   #7506
serial
Inactive

serial is on a distinguished roadserial is on a distinguished road

Don't forget this:

http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3629297

For the upcoming trial Adam Liversage, BT's chief press officer said:

"We won't know who any of the users are, so any feedback we receive is likely to be the customers choosing to do so through our forums,"

Note, this means anyone in or out of the trial can post feedback in the forums and BT can't distinguish.
Old 29-05-2008, 20:56   #7507
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

I think they missing the point that BT did a covert trial not once but twice without the consent of those involved in the two trials, so why are they not looking into them never mind the new trail.
Old 29-05-2008, 20:59   #7508
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogster View Post
So the ICO waits to see what the 10,000 carefully selected 'vegetables' will say.

Figures..
He'll need a translator to exchange 'grunt' into English first.

Reminds me of that old spitting image sketch. Thatcher and the cabinet sat around a large dinning table.

Waitress: "what would you like?"

Thatcher: "I'll have the steak.., raw"

Waitress: "What about the vegetables?"

Thatcher: "Oh they'll have the same"
Old 29-05-2008, 21:00   #7509
Deko
Permanently Banned

Deko is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Whats happening with the 80/"0 Video's ? Did the dog eat the tape or some other poor excuse come out i have not seen.

Mr Hanff any joy getting the unedited BBC footage of kent being, well kent ?

Simon @ 80/20 phorm will ruin your reputation I do hope they paid you enough.
Old 29-05-2008, 21:12   #7510
vicz
Inactive

vicz is on a distinguished roadvicz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My MP submitted a question to the Home Office and today I recieved a letter with the response. I've typed it out below:

Home Office
Minister of State

Dear Serials MP

Thank you for your letter of 21 April to Vernon Coaker on behalf of Serial, who contacted you to express concern about targeted online advertising and the use of that technology by internet service providers. I am replying as the Minister responsible for the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA) which provides for the lawful interception of communications and the criminal offence of unlawful interception....

...waffle..waffle..waffle..

.......tion Commissioner's Office has provided a view that Targetted Online Advertising could operate in a way that is in compliance with the Data Protection Act, but that he is keeping the targeted online advertising products under review and will be strongly influenced by the experience of those users who choose to participate in any trials and the way in which they are able to make that decision to participate.

Tony McNulty
Useless berk. Any excuse not to do anything. Who voted for these morons?
Old 29-05-2008, 21:25   #7511
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deko View Post
Mr Hanff any joy getting the unedited BBC footage of kent being, well kent ?

Simon @ 80/20 phorm will ruin your reputation I do hope they paid you enough.
No I never bothered to ask for it, I can't see them giving it to me.

[deleted text I misread original post]

Alexander Hanff
Old 29-05-2008, 21:32   #7512
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:

cut....
The Information Commissioner's Office has provided a view that Targeted Online Advertising could operate in a way that is in compliance with the Data Protection Act, but that he is keeping the targeted online advertising products under review and will be strongly influenced by the experience of those users who choose to participate in any trials and the way in which they are able to make that decision to participate.

Tony McNulty
So it doesn't matter if it's illegal, let's just wait and see if there is any perceived outcry. I hope the EC gives the ICO a right old rollicking at some point. I am getting very angry with this lacklustre Government. This is an absolute disgrace the way the Government is handling this.

Phorm is illegal!

START LISTENING TO THE PUBLIC GORDON BROWN! THE BUCK STOPS WITH YOU!

They are so deep inside their ivory towers they have not got any clue what's going on in the real world.

Let us all make sure there is one hell of an outcry!
Old 29-05-2008, 21:35   #7513
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
So it doesn't matter if it's illegal, let's just wait and see if there is any perceived outcry. I hope the EC gives the ICO a right old rollicking at some point. I am getting very angry with this lacklustre Government. This is an absolute disgrace the way the Government is handling this.

Phorm is illegal!

START LISTENING TO THE PUBLIC GORDON BROWN! THE BUCK STOPS WITH YOU!

They are so deep inside their ivory towers they have not got any clue what's going on in the real world.

Let us all make sure there is one hell of an outcry!
I think we need to organise an official demo at some point over the summer, in London outside BT HQ.

Alexander Hanff
Old 29-05-2008, 21:38   #7514
Cogster
Inactive

Cogster is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in..

why no go to the OIX partners?
Old 29-05-2008, 21:39   #7515
OldBear
Inactive

OldBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Home Office
Minister of State

Dear Serials MP

Blah, blah, drone, waffle

Tony McNulty
It's amazing that MPs kicked up such a huge stink when they felt we were invading their privacy when a DPA request was made into their expense claims. Look how much trouble they took to try and stop it.

Yet when we try and stop our privacy being breached, they pass the buck and do sod all.

You wonder what the point is sometimes.

OB
Closed Thread