Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | X Factor: 2010

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

X Factor: 2010

Old 12-12-2010, 23:37   #301
iFrankie
cf.mega poster

Services: V BB 350
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to iFrankie Send a message via Yahoo to iFrankie
Re: X Factor: 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Thank crunchy that is over, Surfin Bird for number 1 at Christmas and lets hope Cowell stays in America and stop inflicting this rubbish on the charts. Singing live is obviously not a skill tonights lot have mastered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184
Love that song! i wouldn't complain if it went to number 1!
iFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-12-2010, 09:34   #302
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Both the finalists "release" songs are poor, based on their stage performance. Matt's song is a tad better on the radio, but still quite forgettable. Rebecca's standout performance was the Annie Lennox song, one of the few times in the series the true power in her voice has shone out. But most of the time, both Matt and Rebecca may have been technically good, but I have been struggling to see any real spark. I have bought albums of some of the previous finalists (well someone somewhere has to), but nothing I saw on this series encourages me to part with cash for this lot. Maybe I'm finally getting bored of X-Factor, but I seriously wonder what career any of them have.

Of the previous X-Factor winners the only one who seems to be active at the moment is Alexandra Burke, and she just seems to be going from minor publicity gig to another filling in here and there on radio standins and the like. I know Leona is due to do a tour, or has she done that now, but what about the rest who have dissapeared into anonyminity? Indeed the only previous talent show winners who have shown real staying power have come from Pop Idol with Will Youngs stuff often getting played on the radio, and of course Girls Aloud / Cheryl Cole.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 12:22   #303
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Both the finalists "release" songs are poor, based on their stage performance. Matt's song is a tad better on the radio, but still quite forgettable. Rebecca's standout performance was the Annie Lennox song, one of the few times in the series the true power in her voice has shone out. But most of the time, both Matt and Rebecca may have been technically good, but I have been struggling to see any real spark. I have bought albums of some of the previous finalists (well someone somewhere has to), but nothing I saw on this series encourages me to part with cash for this lot. Maybe I'm finally getting bored of X-Factor, but I seriously wonder what career any of them have.

Of the previous X-Factor winners the only one who seems to be active at the moment is Alexandra Burke, and she just seems to be going from minor publicity gig to another filling in here and there on radio standins and the like. I know Leona is due to do a tour, or has she done that now, but what about the rest who have dissapeared into anonyminity? Indeed the only previous talent show winners who have shown real staying power have come from Pop Idol with Will Youngs stuff often getting played on the radio, and of course Girls Aloud / Cheryl Cole.

A few months ago, I looked into the amount of all the various recent talent shows (both on BBC and ITV) of the winners who had actually made it after they won the prize. I was surprised to discover than over 90% didn't go anywhere. Even fewer have achieved long term (for the sake of argument, I am defining long term as 2 or more years in the spotlight) success.

Off the top of my head, I think it was Gareth Gates, Will Young (both of whom appear to have vanished), Girls aloud and Leona Lewis (who, as you say, doesn't appear to be doing much ATM).

Two members of Hearsay have achieved long term success, but neither as a singer: Kym is an actress on Corrie and Mylene Klass is a TV presenter, Classical Musician and DJ.

There are a few who I think probably will have long term success. Susan Boyle, Diana Vickers, JLS, Olly Murs, but I don't think they are there yet.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 14:28   #304
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
A few months ago, I looked into the amount of all the various recent talent shows (both on BBC and ITV) of the winners who had actually made it after they won the prize. I was surprised to discover than over 90% didn't go anywhere. Even fewer have achieved long term (for the sake of argument, I am defining long term as 2 or more years in the spotlight) success.

Off the top of my head, I think it was Gareth Gates, Will Young (both of whom appear to have vanished), Girls aloud and Leona Lewis (who, as you say, doesn't appear to be doing much ATM).

Two members of Hearsay have achieved long term success, but neither as a singer: Kym is an actress on Corrie and Mylene Klass is a TV presenter, Classical Musician and DJ.

There are a few who I think probably will have long term success. Susan Boyle, Diana Vickers, JLS, Olly Murs, but I don't think they are there yet.
Paul Potts is still around even after being dropped by Simon Cowell's SYCO label and has gone onto bigger things. http://www.paulpottsmusic.net/
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 15:13   #305
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

I think Neil Fox's summary was spot on, on Sky News this morning of why many winners fail to make it after the hype of the shows of the X-Factor and other talent shows dies (if you can call it talent at times) is because once the shows are over, you are left to fend for yourself, these contestant winners are not obviously good song writers and usually end up doing covers of already previously released material.

Unless Matt Cardle can pull off some good tunes and keeps up his own hype, he will follow in the foot steps in to the Forgotten hall of shame of X-Factor winners, Steve Brookstein, Leon Jackson and Shayne Ward and not far behind him it would seem is last years winner, Joe McElderry, his latest released song "Someone Wake me Up" limped in at 68 in this weeks UK charts, so not even reaching the top 40 is pretty bad IMO.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 16:29   #306
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I think Neil Fox's summary was spot on, on Sky News this morning of why many winners fail to make it after the hype of the shows of the X-Factor and other talent shows dies (if you can call it talent at times) is because once the shows are over, you are left to fend for yourself, these contestant winners are not obviously good song writers and usually end up doing covers of already previously released material.

Unless Matt Cardle can pull off some good tunes and keeps up his own hype, he will follow in the foot steps in to the Forgotten hall of shame of X-Factor winners, Steve Brookstein, Leon Jackson and Shayne Ward and not far behind him it would seem is last years winner, Joe McElderry, his latest released song "Someone Wake me Up" limped in at 68 in this weeks UK charts, so not even reaching the top 40 is pretty bad IMO.
Shayne Ward has a career overseas according to the hype when he appeared on X Factor a few weeks back, it is just the people of his home nation who can tell he is rubbish, even his cover of Nickelback's "Gotta be somebody" was atrocious.
Old 13-12-2010, 17:42   #307
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Paul Potts is still around even after being dropped by Simon Cowell's SYCO label and has gone onto bigger things. http://www.paulpottsmusic.net/
Oh, I am not saying I have provided an exhaustive list. I did find a few more people when I looked into it. The people I typed were just the ones I could think of.

---------- Post added at 17:42 ---------- Previous post was at 17:35 ----------

Quote:

That's one problem I have with these shows. They drop people as soon as the next winner comes along. I'll admit, that's not something done exclusively by these shows (the industry as a whole is quite capable of doing it). How must it be for those people? One day, your at number 1, and having people almost throw new songs at you (not to mention sponsorships for tours) and inviting you to record them in the best studios with the best engineers/producers/composers/musicians. The next, you are left with nothing. Maybe a job acting in a West End Musical, or a slot on some nostalgia tour.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 19:09   #308
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Oh, I am not saying I have provided an exhaustive list. I did find a few more people when I looked into it. The people I typed were just the ones I could think of.

I know that but the last I had heard was SYCO had dropped him and no mention of his contract being picked back up, so a bit of positive news.
Old 13-12-2010, 19:20   #309
Sasha222
Inactive

Sasha222 has a nice shiny starSasha222 has a nice shiny star
Sasha222 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Is this the same Niel Fox who used to be a judge on American Idol?
Sasha222 is offline   Reply With Quote