Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:29   #8131
JohnnyWashngo
Inactive

JohnnyWashngo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

There is an article on the reg about how ISPs are trying to repair their damaged public image due to mis-selling of broadband services by advertising speeds that are rarely attainable.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...code_practice/

I wonder how much damge this whole Phorm debacle will cause and what they will be doing to repair that public image disaster
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2008, 12:55   #8132
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetBlowWhistler View Post
-p22, para 3
To quote the vernacular - **** me backwards! 21CN is a wholesale network as far as I'm aware. What the hell is BT Retail thinking of here? The number of projected servers they need to run this kit is in the region of 300 servers, and mention is made of having to find suitable places to host the equipment. Good luck with that. I know for a fact that your latest datacenter at Rochdale is already pretty much fully subscribed, and unless you take all that reserved space for NHS off them you aren't getting it into Cardiff either (which for those of you not familiar with BT is their main 21CN site). 300 servers? hahahahahaha. Most BT datacenters are running out of/or have run out of power. Unless the Rochdale site is fully subscribed *because* of this project, I don't see where you're going to put this stuff anyway.
No worries, BT will host it on 'ThePlanet' or 'Gyron' or 'Fasthost'... anywhere really. Whos going to know?
^flippant remark^
---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
one of many in the near future i hope , this might inspire the insiders with access to also have a root through the records and pas them along to Alexander too, some VM ,CPW,and even 121/phorm if there are any good people that want to help uphold the users rights with access there.

come on annonymouse readers, please dig deep and find and reproduce those other smoking gun documants that are there for the taking...

perhaps even the 3rd party PR firms have some interesting related documents?
A document detailing the 2007 BT trials would be very handy........

I envisage a lot of scurrying around at BT land... shredders at the ready!
Old 05-06-2008, 12:58   #8133
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
snip...and wearers of varifocals.
OI!

Anyway, they're good for small component work.

And precise close up body strikes.
Old 05-06-2008, 13:01   #8134
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post
No worries, BT will host it on 'ThePlanet' or 'Gyron' or 'Fasthost'... anywhere really. Whos going to know?
Hmm, not sure how well that would integrate into 21CN :flyingpig:

hey, where's my flying pig smilie?
Old 05-06-2008, 13:26   #8135
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Old 05-06-2008, 13:39   #8136
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them

That's cheating! Still, nice piggie :P
Old 05-06-2008, 13:57   #8137
OldBear
Inactive

OldBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
that was an interesting comment by +Zer0Day
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...st&p=589456673

"
Wow, if this true, and I have my doubts until I see the document myself or its reported in are reliable media outlet, site owners have the right to be ****ed. BT sticking their ads in without permission, isn't that interception of communication, and isn't making a modification to communication illegal?
"
Unfortunately, Neowinians have a tendency to shout "source" for every story they see, and it has to be an official source, i.e. Microsoft story on an MS site, etc, or they just cry "not true".

I don't think they get the concept of a 'leaked' document, sometimes.

OB

btw. I'm actually disappointed at the lack of replies to my post, so far.
Old 05-06-2008, 13:59   #8138
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTLVictim View Post
OI!

Anyway, they're good for small component work.

And precise close up body strikes.
I wear em myself !

---------- Post added at 13:59 ---------- Previous post was at 13:57 ----------

Quote:
^flippant remark^
---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 ----------

A document detailing the 2007 BT trials would be very handy........

I envisage a lot of scurrying around at BT land... shredders at the ready!
So some targeted ads on shredders would enhance their "sensitive document disposal experience"?
Old 05-06-2008, 14:17   #8139
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

How is it that stories with only 50 Digg's can make the font page, yet the BT Report can't?
Old 05-06-2008, 14:18   #8140
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

That was a well written post over on the BT forums Mr Jones.

It will be interesting to read the responses from BT

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
How is it that stories with only 50 Digg's can make the font page, yet the BT Report can't?
I was thinking the very same! How does Digg work?
Old 05-06-2008, 14:19   #8141
Deko
Permanently Banned

Deko is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Mr Hanff

Will the Reigster run with this leaked document story ?

nothing done yet !!
Old 05-06-2008, 14:21   #8142
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

I was thinking the very same! How does Digg work?
Maybe we need to put a lolcat or Pron in the title :P
Old 05-06-2008, 14:25   #8143
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
Yeah there is something not right. Most commented article in the Technology category and about 4th in the popularity filter yet still not "popular".

The /. article has been marked as hot since about 6:40am too and is still not published. This concerns me and whereas I don't want to accuse either site of being in Phorm's pocket it is odd that not a single Digg article has gone "Popular" and as far as I know most if not all articles posted to /. have so far been blocked by the mods.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deko View Post
Mr Hanff

Will the Reigster run with this leaked document story ?

nothing done yet !!
Chris Williams already has the document and has referenced it in a previous article, so I presume he covered everything he regarded as news worthy already. There is a big difference between Chris posting a news article on El Reg with word restrictions/management and me posting reasonably freely on the nodpi site with no word restrictions and only my conscience.

Alexander Hanff
Old 05-06-2008, 14:26   #8144
OldBear
Inactive

OldBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial View Post
Alex, can you give some details about pages 50-52? What is Section 6 - Download Targets?
I was wondering about this, too.

Is this a list of where Phorm bought advertising space to drop cookies?
Is it a list of sites working with Phorm?

Any ideas, anyone?
Old 05-06-2008, 14:33   #8145
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBear View Post
I was wondering about this, too.

Is this a list of where Phorm bought advertising space to drop cookies?
Is it a list of sites working with Phorm?

Any ideas, anyone?
weired 5 retries to post then

what would the best way to get cookies into bt users pc, bt yahoo web page maybe, its full of them and once bt user logged in to their a/c via bt yahoo then its easy the drop them i would think.

only logical way i can see it happening.
Closed Thread