Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 17:53   #751
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l heard he was a close relation to you Andrew.
lol, if only, my predictions don't normally get a 50% success rate!
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2017, 18:00   #752
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
lol, if only, my predictions don't normally get a 50% success rate!
Well the venerable three amigo's on here seem to have quite a good strike rate going by past history.
Old 09-03-2017, 19:59   #753
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I'm not sure which source you are referring to? If Tivo had the Premier update, then it is indisputably technically possible.

Whether Amazon and LG have come to a deal, I don't have a clue. I have four devices that give me 1080p and 5.1, so it is not an issue for me. And I don't get why people are waiting for Amazon Prime to be added to Tivo, when there are inexpensive devices available that have been around for ages that provide both Amazon and Netflix, plus other services.
Well, the thing is, if Amazon was on Tivo as well, one search would bring up everything on live TV, On Demand, Netflix and Amazon. Not only that, but you could use the series link + to get everything you want added from each of these services to 'My Shows'. That would be really something.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:42   #754
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

A positive response from Amazon here on collaboration with cable companies. Also an interesting comment about sport, right at the end of the article.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/67084...ith-operators/

Amazon ‘definitely open’ to video partnerships with operators

Speaking at Cable Congress in Brussels this morning, the managing director of Amazon Video said that while Amazon has not been as active at partnering up with pay TV operators as Netflix, it does speak to cable industry players and “Amazon is definitely open to those partnerships”.

Green said that Amazon has been primarily focused on improving its service for customers, but pointed out it had also worked with a “huge range” of device manufacturers and has also brought its own line of devices to market – such as its Amazon Fire TV devices.

The comments came a day after Liberty Global’s Central Europe CEO, Eric Tveter, said on the same Cable Congress stage that Liberty is currently “evaluating” whether to offer Amazon’s video offering, after striking a broad deal with Netflix last year.

Speaking on a panel today dedicated to the theme of over-the-top video, Green – who previously worked for BT TV and Virgin Media – denied that Amazon posed a direct threat to the traditional TV operator model.

He said that services like Amazon, Netflix and others “easily co-exist” with the cable and pay TV industry. “Compared to, if you like, traditional broadband, triple-play, quad-play businesses, this is not a zero-sum game.”

Green said that Amazon’s Prime Video Channels initiative in the US has seen it work with over 100 brands, helping them to deal with “that technology and marketing challenge” and allowing to them to “really focus on content”.

“We positively encourage brand-owners, content providers to go direct as well. There’s no notion that Amazon should be an exclusive route to market and indeed if you’re going direct, strategically you are typically investing a lot in the content,” he said.

“We work with people who have both models, but HBO is a great example. Their direct-to-consumer service – we offer it all over the Amazon channels in the US – we think it’s very complimentary. It supports their growth, it improves the marketing, makes sure they’re on every single platform, so there’s definitely room for growth and we encourage that.”

Discussing the future direction of the pay TV industry, Green said that channels – either linear or SVOD – are in essence brands that are starting to transcend the “old view of the world” of having a 24/7 linear channel with some VOD on the side.

“Really you are a provider of an edited selection of content under your brand, and that can be delivered both linear and on-demand in the best way for that particular customer. That’s a shift going on from the channel operators.”

Looking ahead, he added: “Almost talking about the OTT market I think is wrong. I think consumers now just think ‘there’s TV, there’s video, there’s movies’ and how they get that is just going to be increasingly transparent. It’s going to be less ‘am I with that provider or that provider’. They will have that freedom to pick and choose.

“I think a very interesting area in the end will be sport, which is traditionally an absolute bastion of cable or pay TV broadcast networks. If it wasn’t for sport, who knows. But that’s an interesting area for the next three to five years.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 10-03-2017 at 12:46.
Old 12-03-2017, 19:30   #755
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

The F1 UHD channel is now testing on satellite, does anyone know if we will be getting this on VM?
Old 12-03-2017, 19:51   #756
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The F1 UHD channel is now testing on satellite, does anyone know if we will be getting this on VM?
I don't think we will be getting this initially, but hopefully that will change when LG take it over.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...x/td-p/3312520.

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/01/f...7-sky-uhd.html
Old 12-03-2017, 20:24   #757
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Not in near future no.
Old 12-03-2017, 21:50   #758
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don't think we will be getting this initially, but hopefully that will change when LG take it over.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...x/td-p/3312520.

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/01/f...7-sky-uhd.html
LGI are not taking over Formula 1. Formula 1 is part of another company, Liberty Media. http://www.libertymedia.com/companies/formula1.html
Old 13-03-2017, 00:32   #759
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Not in near future no.
No chance what so ever, virgin is not the provider if you want 4K included in your package, or virgin store or anything
Old 13-03-2017, 02:04   #760
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
No chance what so ever, virgin is not the provider if you want 4K included in your package, or virgin store or anything
4k content is arriving on vm later this year via on demand content and pay content such as movies.
Eurosport also rumoured to be launching a 4k channel and they want it on bt, sky and vm.
Old 13-03-2017, 08:07   #761
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

That's all good but what about 4k material but for what we already subscribe and pay for rather than virgin movie 4k, nerfliz
Old 13-03-2017, 08:12   #762
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

I won't be changing my Tivo for a V6 until they have proper 4K channels. There is no point when I have Netflix,Amazon,Vimeo and You Tube on my smart tv.
Old 13-03-2017, 09:04   #763
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
LGI are not taking over Formula 1. Formula 1 is part of another company, Liberty Media. http://www.libertymedia.com/companies/formula1.html
Apologies, my bad, but Liberty Media is controlled by John Malone, which is the point I was making. With his Liberty Global interests, presumably he would aim to resolve this content issue for Virgin Media and the other cable companies he owns.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 13-03-2017 at 10:33.
Old 13-03-2017, 09:43   #764
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor View Post
I won't be changing my Tivo for a V6 until they have proper 4K channels. There is no point when I have Netflix,Amazon,Vimeo and You Tube on my smart tv.
While they don't have 4k and the apps are available via other devices, it's way way much faster and big improvement on the older hardware
Old 13-03-2017, 10:40   #765
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor View Post
There is a point, because it is so much faster and therefore less frustrating than the old Tivo, plus it has 6 tuners, which avoids those annoying programme clashes. And with tha ability to stream your recordings from one box to another, you've effectively got the equivalent of a 2TB box.

If all this does not bother you, then I guess only the UHD channels will change your decision. However, the UHD content is only a short way down the track, but don't expect to get the Sky or BT fare this year. Most of it, I suspect, will be through on demand, initially at least.
Closed Thread