Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 29-01-2017, 00:57   #406
Bananaman_007
Inactive

Bananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really nice
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

This has been brewing for a few years. Not sure if you all remember the failed launch of Quest on Freeview? Well i have it on good authority that it was Sky that was the reason behind this. Discovery planned to launch Quest with a range of programming that had only just aired or was about to air on the main Discovery channels. Sky got its legal team involved as they believed that Discovery were in breach of contract with regards to showing its content on other channels.

Discovery had to basically scrap 80% of its proposed line up and had to ready different content for Quest which is why it took a few months after the original date to come on air.

Sky have also reduced the amount it pays to some other content providers which is one of the reasons Home appeared on Freeview. Sky wanted to pay a certain amount for the UKTV channels which like we have seen with Discovery was lower then the current amount. The agreement was Home would not be included in the new deal therefore making it available for Freeview when previously it was part of a pay tv deal with Sky that prevented that.

---------- Post added at 23:57 ---------- Previous post was at 23:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
A potential tactic for Discovery to take is to close down Quest and allow DMAX to go FTA.
That may not be needed the Tru Tv slots on Freeview are up for sale and people on Digitalspy seem to think it was Discovery who were the highest bidders. My inital thought was that Eurosport or a version of would come to Freeview due to Discovery need to broadcast a percentage of its Olympics coverage on Freeview. However i am wondering in if in the mean time they may use this for DMax.
Advertisement
Old 29-01-2017, 01:04   #407
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
A potential tactic for Discovery to take is to close down Quest and allow DMAX to go FTA. Furthermore, I would keep Discovery, Discovery Science, Animal Planet, TLC, ID and Eurosport 1 & 2 HD behind a pay wall and allow the re-launched DMAX, Discovery History, Discovery Turbo, Discovery Shed, Home & Health and Eurosport 1 & 2 SD to become available to Freeview and Freesat as well.
You won't be finding Eurosport moving from encrypted form on satellite. The UK services are on Astra 2F which has a Pan-European beam & would effectively allow free access to the channels from all over Europe.

Last edited by nodrogd; 29-01-2017 at 01:11.
Old 29-01-2017, 12:43   #408
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
A potential tactic for Discovery to take is to close down Quest and allow DMAX to go FTA. Furthermore, I would keep Discovery, Discovery Science, Animal Planet, TLC, ID and Eurosport 1 & 2 HD behind a pay wall and allow the re-launched DMAX, Discovery History, Discovery Turbo, Discovery Shed, Home & Health and Eurosport 1 & 2 SD to become available to Freeview and Freesat as well.
Not going to happen.

Discovery's main channels are Pay TV, having the relevant programme rights, and they are locked into long term carriage agreements with Virgin Media and BT.

Why on earth would they want to close down the hugely successful and established Quest and replace it with the dire DMAX.
Old 29-01-2017, 18:16   #409
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman_007 View Post
This has been brewing for a few years. Not sure if you all remember the failed launch of Quest on Freeview? Well i have it on good authority that it was Sky that was the reason behind this. Discovery planned to launch Quest with a range of programming that had only just aired or was about to air on the main Discovery channels. Sky got its legal team involved as they believed that Discovery were in breach of contract with regards to showing its content on other channels.

Discovery had to basically scrap 80% of its proposed line up and had to ready different content for Quest which is why it took a few months after the original date to come on air.

Sky have also reduced the amount it pays to some other content providers which is one of the reasons Home appeared on Freeview. Sky wanted to pay a certain amount for the UKTV channels which like we have seen with Discovery was lower then the current amount. The agreement was Home would not be included in the new deal therefore making it available for Freeview when previously it was part of a pay tv deal with Sky that prevented that.

---------- Post added at 23:57 ---------- Previous post was at 23:52 ----------

That may not be needed the Tru Tv slots on Freeview are up for sale and people on Digitalspy seem to think it was Discovery who were the highest bidders. My inital thought was that Eurosport or a version of would come to Freeview due to Discovery need to broadcast a percentage of its Olympics coverage on Freeview. However i am wondering in if in the mean time they may use this for DMax.
Discovery have been testing two new frequencies off the Sky EPG.

First they were showing foreign feeds from their international channels, now they are showing Discovery Shed +1 and Home & Health +2.

Not sure if these are connected to the dispute or not.
Old 30-01-2017, 16:16   #410
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Discovery have been testing two new frequencies off the Sky EPG.

First they were showing foreign feeds from their international channels, now they are showing Discovery Shed +1 and Home & Health +2.

Not sure if these are connected to the dispute or not.
Not at all related.

Discovery Shed and Home & Health recently moved from the old Lifestyle section to the Entertainment section on the EPG, they will lose their two previous slots unless they put something on them.
Old 30-01-2017, 16:41   #411
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgem22 View Post
Does anyone know when the current deal is up please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
I believe its in 2019.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Quite awhile left on it i think 2019 MB would know more.
We do not see any real paperwork on deals with broadcasters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
Viceland has popped up on TV Anywhere (channel 215) with a Coming Soon listing so the launch must be imminent.
Thanks for info that the Channel number we was working on for Viceland when it launches.

---------- Post added at 15:41 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

Quote:
Not at all related.

Discovery Shed and Home & Health recently moved from the old Lifestyle section to the Entertainment section on the EPG, they will lose their two previous slots unless they put something on them.
They only moved in Scotland, Wales and England on Sky.

They are still on their old channel numbers in N. Ireland via Sky.

Some Irish channels are using their EPG Channels in N. Ireland.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 30-01-2017, 17:55   #412
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Viceland has appeared on TV Anywhere (channel 215) with a Coming Soon listing so the launch must be imminent.

It looks like Sky are going to lose the Discovery channels.

The following preparations have been made:

4461 11.836 H 27.5 5/6 DVB-S OPSK now showing a caption saying "Unfortunately Sky is not able to bring you this channel as the broadcaster has withdrawn it from the Sky platform".

The EPG info says "Programme is no longer available".

I've been reassured that VM will not be affected. I was led to believe that their SD Discovery channels were taken from the satellite used to broadcast the Discovery suite of channels on Sky, but they are now delivered via fibre in the same way as the HD variants.
Old 30-01-2017, 19:12   #413
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Base on info we have WORLDBOX International Packs prices news:

-FRENCH BOUQUET - £6.99 p/month
BFM TV
Euro Channel

-POLISH IMPREZA - £8.00 p/month
No channels on this pack as far as we know...

-RUSSIAN PREMIYERA - £10.00 p/month
CTC

-SPANISH VIVA -£5.99 p/month
Canal 24 Horas (Spain).
VIVA

-PORTUGUESE COLETA -£6.99 p/month
-Coleta
-Sic International

We just got this information from our sources (Channel names not confirm).

Due to not having TiVo can anyone confirm?
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 30-01-2017, 19:16   #414
SonicMaster
cf.geek

Quote:
Viceland has appeared on TV Anywhere (channel 215) with a Coming Soon listing so the launch must be imminent.
Yes that's what I posted on here 4 days ago...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...5#post35882455

...any particular reason why you have copied and pasted my exact words?
Old 30-01-2017, 19:20   #415
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yes that's what I posted on here 4 days ago...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...5#post35882455

...any particular reason why you have copied and pasted my exact words?
In this thread we share information received for the benefit of others.

It is not some sort of competition and it does sometimes occur where information is duplicated.
Old 30-01-2017, 19:31   #416
SonicMaster
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post

BFM TV
Euro Channel

CTC

Canal 24 Horas (Spain).
VIVA

-Coleta
-Sic International

I've just checked, the correct details are:

France 2
France 3
France 5
Cartoon TV (Coming Soon)

BFM TV and Eurochannel are free

iTVN
iTVN Extra
TVN 24

Planeta HD
Moolt
Bestseller

CTC is free

-SPANISH VIVA - £5.99 p/month
Antena 3
Atreseries (aka A3Series)
MIS
TVE

Canal 24 Horas and VIVA are free

-PORTUGUESE COLETA - £6.99 p/month
Benfica TV
TVI International
TVI Ficcao
Crinca TV

Sic International is free

-EUROPEAN

TGCOM24, 1 +1 and TVRI are free

-ARABIC

Nessma is free

---------- Post added at 18:31 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

Quote:
In this thread we share information received for the benefit of others.

It is not some sort of competition and it does sometimes occur where information is duplicated.
I don't see the point of "sharing" information which has already been posted by someone else only a few days ago by copying and pasting it. That's deliberately duplicating information for no reason, and is of no benefit to anyone on here.
Old 31-01-2017, 00:29   #417
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post

BFM TV
Euro Channel

CTC

Canal 24 Horas (Spain).
VIVA

-Coleta
-Sic International

I was looking at those over the weekend and found it a little strange that the separate Spanish / Portuguese pay apps have been dropped and the foreign pay tv channels had been lumped in with the free ones in the main Worldbox app. Possibly a little confusing to anyone not noticing the BUY logo on the pay tv channels and thinking that these are just extra free channels.

The price points are possibly a little high. I would have thought that anyone desperate to receive these channels would have been using "unofficial" streaming services for quite some time. It could be difficult to persuade such people to pay for this service, rather than use the "unofficial" streams offering the same channels plus many more but for zero cost. In short, the packages seem to be lightweight and overpriced.

Russian channel CTC is written in the Cyrillic alphabet, so STS in the Roman / Latin alphabet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS_(TV_channel)

---------- Post added at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was at 23:20 ----------

Quote:
-ARABIC

Nessma is free
Still no "Hafla" for the Arabic bouquet...

Old 31-01-2017, 09:46   #418
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I've just checked, the correct details are:

France 2
France 3
France 5
Cartoon TV (Coming Soon)

BFM TV and Eurochannel are free

iTVN
iTVN Extra
TVN 24

Planeta HD
Moolt
Bestseller

CTC is free

-SPANISH VIVA - £5.99 p/month
Antena 3
Atreseries (aka A3Series)
MIS
TVE

Canal 24 Horas and VIVA are free

-PORTUGUESE COLETA - £6.99 p/month
Benfica TV
TVI International
TVI Ficcao
Crinca TV

Sic International is free

-EUROPEAN

TGCOM24, 1 +1 and TVRI are free

-ARABIC

Nessma is free

---------- Post added at 18:31 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

I don't see the point of "sharing" information which has already been posted by someone else only a few days ago by copying and pasting it. That's deliberately duplicating information for no reason, and is of no benefit to anyone on here.
Sometimes information gets duplicated on here. No copy/pasting from you was involved; the information came from another forum member.

---------- Post added at 08:46 ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
I was looking at those over the weekend and found it a little strange that the separate Spanish / Portuguese pay apps have been dropped and the foreign pay tv channels had been lumped in with the free ones in the main Worldbox app. Possibly a little confusing to anyone not noticing the BUY logo on the pay tv channels and thinking that these are just extra free channels.

The price points are possibly a little high. I would have thought that anyone desperate to receive these channels would have been using "unofficial" streaming services for quite some time. It could be difficult to persuade such people to pay for this service, rather than use the "unofficial" streams offering the same channels plus many more but for zero cost. In short, the packages seem to be lightweight and overpriced.

Russian channel CTC is written in the Cyrillic alphabet, so STS in the Roman / Latin alphabet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS_(TV_channel)

---------- Post added at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was at 23:20 ----------

Still no "Hafla" for the Arabic bouquet...
Odd isn't it
Old 31-01-2017, 23:27   #419
Aguero9320
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Paramount+, Apple TV+
Aguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really nice

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/01/d...e-reached.html

BREAKING NEWS:

Discovery and Sky settle ongoing dispute just four-and-a-half-hours before the channels were scheduled to disappear from Sky's EPG.
Old 01-02-2017, 00:03   #420
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

What's with all the above crap about French, Russian, Polish TV etc etc, does anyone really give two monkeys!
Closed Thread