Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 16:33   #361
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
I don't seem to see that option in the Firefox cookie view screen.

Just decided to have a play around with IE and webwise i opted in out in out and then viewed all action from this time and even sorted by address, www.webwise.com. And guess what, no cookie. Just a bunch of images and a javascript file.
Actually, you are right.

The cookie.txt file in FF is a single file, you can't access each cookie as a seperate *.txt file, sorry.
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2008, 16:35   #362
bliss
Inactive

bliss is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually i do have a cookie in IE now that might be it.

dewb.opt.fimserve.com

It showed up when i reopened IE.

Just checked my FF cookies and it's not there.
Old 01-03-2008, 16:42   #363
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Actually i do have a cookie in IE now that might be it.

dewb.opt.fimserve.com

It showed up when i reopened IE.

Just checked my FF cookies and it's not there.
Nope, that's Myspace.com

OrgName: Myspace.com
OrgID: MYSPA
Address: 1333 2nd Dt Suite 100
City: Santa Monica
StateProv: CA
PostalCode: 90401

NetRange: 216.178.32.0 - 216.178.47.255
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: fimserve.com
Address: 216.178.38.123
Old 01-03-2008, 16:47   #364
bliss
Inactive

bliss is an unknown quantity at this point

Then doesn't this prove that their cookie is a pile of junk and doesn't work? Heh, that's what my girlfriend has set as her homepage. She doesn't like FF.
Old 01-03-2008, 17:43   #365
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Then doesn't this prove that their cookie is a pile of junk and doesn't work? Heh, that's what my girlfriend has set as her homepage. She doesn't like FF.
I don't think that you'll get a cookie yet if you're on a Virgin Media connection: both VM and Phorm are currently stating that OIX has not gone live yet on the VM network (that is if you trust them...). I did a few trials involving cookie-clearouts a few days ago, and found no cookies from the domain oix.net in my folder (according to the Webwise a.k.a. Phorm FAQs, this is the domain that will serve the tracking cookie - again, I don't necessarily believe them, but that's what they're telling people...) In the meantime, assuming that they're not lying about that, I've now set my router to block all connections to that domain.
Old 01-03-2008, 18:03   #366
eddcase

Hang on a minute. Since VM took over from NTL or whoever else as our ISP, haven't we all been having connection/speed problems? Perhaps this has something to do with this Phorm lark. Perhaps to make the whole deal viable, VM have to show that their customers will be worth the mi££ions that VM will get from the deal. A buckshee speed increase should help to allay the fears of advertisers ensuring the target fodder get to see their luvverly ads in super-fast-fibre-optic time. Yeah, where's my 10meg, I have a lorra lorra personally targeted ads to download

Old 01-03-2008, 18:10   #367
aMIGA_dUDE
Inactive

aMIGA_dUDE is an unknown quantity at this point

It makes more seance that discussion to make new anit-SPYCOMS list about Phorm on another forum then this one. This discussion is only to talk about hosts file issues and updating it.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...l#post34498585
Old 01-03-2008, 18:20   #368
lordy
Inactive

lordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about them

More details on Phorm at the Register ..
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...orm_documents/
Old 01-03-2008, 18:37   #369
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddcase View Post
Hang on a minute. Since VM took over from NTL or whoever else as our ISP, haven't we all been having connection/speed problems? Perhaps this has something to do with this Phorm lark. Perhaps to make the whole deal viable, VM have to show that their customers will be worth the mi££ions that VM will get from the deal. A buckshee speed increase should help to allay the fears of advertisers ensuring the target fodder get to see their luvverly ads in super-fast-fibre-optic time. Yeah, where's my 10meg, I have a lorra lorra personally targeted ads to download
thats a good point also who is exactly is the 5% hoggers of bandwidth. For all we know and would VM own up is they could been trialing PHORM. Ever since VM started talking about traffic shaping and this 5% so called hog peak lark the intenet become cronic even struggling to browse.

So I am thinking VM being less than honest possible trialed the system and just about crashing everybodies connection at peak.

Yet prior to to VM coming out with Traffic Shaping I never had issues at peak myself I dont know about others. Yet when VM started this meddling thats when it went dodgy.

I really now putting my thinking cap on and say I am pretty sure they been trialing something dodgy.

Yes because it cant cope with PHORM they now got to upgrade the internet to cope with all this JUNK heading our way.
Old 01-03-2008, 18:47   #370
RizzyKing

Being honest i hadn't thought about it before but YES my speed has suffered since VM took over and it is slower. When it was NTL my connection was stable and solid but now i routinely drop connection or slow to a crawl and have got nowhere contacting VM about it. To be honest till now i always put it down to over subscription but maybe they have been either trialling or reducing speed to the levels it would be with phorm and seeing how the customers take it.

Old 01-03-2008, 19:10   #371
bw41101
cf.geek

Services: Broadband XL TV XL Phone - A device with buttons that makes a funny noise when it rings!
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media Ad Deal - Would you be opting out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I have asked VM today - awaiting a response, coming soon.
I contacted VM myself (today) regarding the same thing and the individual I spoke to denied any knowledge regarding Phorm - Interesting! I'm wondering whether it's genuine ignorance (on their part) or someone's telling porkies?
Old 01-03-2008, 19:11   #372
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

Which dept did you contact?
I work in tech and more than half my colleagues have never heard of Phorm.
Old 01-03-2008, 19:45   #373
iTekweni
cf.addict

iTekweni can only hope to improve

First lousy 20meg now this what next VM
Old 01-03-2008, 19:55   #374
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

I thought someone said PHORM russian.

According to my netalyzer they are based in good old dirty America.

Even got there registerd domain which questions if I ban this will it cut them off from the juggler.

I even got 2 email address of PHORM, full snail address & phone /FAX.

So even we can use the information to find things out.

I not going to publish it its upto others to find it I not going to be responsible for millions spamming.

On another note about security. If I am right its been trialled then I fear there is already a security breach with it.

I had a phonecall from my bank who has squashed over £600 and they told me it WAS NOT my end the security breach.

So HOW can VM securely keep OUR PRIVATE informatin SAFE.

What is to stop these from using that ISP data to HARD ATTACK for passwords logins. They simply CANT.
Old 01-03-2008, 20:01   #375
bw41101
cf.geek

Services: Broadband XL TV XL Phone - A device with buttons that makes a funny noise when it rings!
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaningmags View Post
Which dept did you contact?
I work in tech and more than half my colleagues have never heard of Phorm.
Just the ordinary customer services. In fact, when I asked the representative to look at our website and read the info on Phorm for themselves (rather than try to explain it myself) the response (I felt) was one of genuinely not knowing anything about Phorm.

Obviously (it seems) the right hand isn't communicating with the left - nothing new there then. :
Closed Thread