Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mesh Wifi

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Mesh Wifi

Old 15-07-2019, 16:38   #16
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Mesh Wifi

I’ve bought a mesh system - Google WiFi Mesh System (3 pack).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-07-2019, 16:44   #17
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I’ve bought a mesh system - Google WiFi Mesh System (3 pack).
show off :P

is it any good?
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 16:53   #18
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Which one?

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-c...stems-3661110/
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 18:18   #19
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
show off :P

is it any good?
It arrives tomorrow - I'll let you know.

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Google Wifi, 3 pack - it was reduced by £70 on Amazon.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-c...#toc-3661110-9
Old 15-07-2019, 18:22   #20
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
It arrives tomorrow - I'll let you know.
It's not _that_ good then
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 21:26   #21
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

For all you ASUS folks out there, Merlin has started onboarding AiMesh for his value-add version of the stock firmware:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ex...openssl.57489/
Old 16-07-2019, 18:19   #22
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

It arrived at 15:50, unpacked and installed* in by 16:10 (all 3 nodes), 15 minutes for the latest software to download and install, and it's working beautifully.

I have one node at the ground floor front right of the house (lounge), another upstairs at the first floor left (office), and the third at the back middle of the house (main bedroom).

I am getting over 100Mb/s in all the rooms with the nodes, and between 60 and 90 in all the other rooms in the house (4 beds, 4 reception rooms), and in the garden between 50 and 70 - very happy with those speeds.

*using the app, which consists of plugging in the nodes and pressing "next" - very, very user friendly.
Old 24-09-2019, 10:27   #23
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

I'm on a VM superhub 3, compared to the SHub 1 its ace, but... even in our 3 bed terrace it still struggles to reach the end of the house despite being sited centrally. I use power lines with minimal loss (80-90 of a 110 Mbit connection) but do have annoying infrequent dropouts and no way to control access like I could with the M5's through software (kids times, bedtimes etc)

I'm giving thought to the TP-Link Deco M5 3 pack.

I've discounted the Tenda rubik's cube things due to dodgy software etc.
Plus significantly poorer results.

Nova review: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/tend...-review?page=1

Deco review: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/revi...deco-m5?page=1

People are saying I should get the M9 instead of the M5 because it's twice as fast etc, but I'm not sure if they're thinking of commercial usage. My house isn't a typical PH Mansion and I'm only on 110 Mbit in any case. The Deco's also come with dual ethernet ports which would be good for my upstairs smart tv which as ethernet ports.

Cost is a consideration too, the 2 pack of M9 is a lot more than the 3 pack of the M5 (3 physical units with dual Ethernet ports would be more versatile than 2 as well)

Thoughts/Ideas?

Last edited by techguyone; 24-09-2019 at 10:37.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 10:50   #24
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
I'm on a VM superhub 3, compared to the SHub 1 its ace, but... even in our 3 bed terrace it still struggles to reach the end of the house despite being sited centrally. I use power lines with minimal loss (80-90 of a 110 Mbit connection) but do have annoying infrequent dropouts and no way to control access like I could with the M5's through software (kids times, bedtimes etc)

I'm giving thought to the TP-Link Deco M5 3 pack.

I've discounted the Tenda rubik's cube things due to dodgy software etc.
Plus significantly poorer results.

Nova review: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/tend...-review?page=1

Deco review: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/revi...deco-m5?page=1

People are saying I should get the M9 instead of the M5 because it's twice as fast etc, but I'm not sure if they're thinking of commercial usage. My house isn't a typical PH Mansion and I'm only on 110 Mbit in any case. The Deco's also come with dual ethernet ports which would be good for my upstairs smart tv which as ethernet ports.

Cost is a consideration too, the 2 pack of M9 is a lot more than the 3 pack of the M5 (3 physical units with dual Ethernet ports would be more versatile than 2 as well)

Thoughts/Ideas?
My choice was the BT Whole Home Wifi - £150 for a 3 pack. Absolutely brilliant esp. if you can use Ethernet backhaul. I switched from the ASUS setup I had due to a number of 2.4 clients refusing to connect/stay connected. So far, the BT solution is rock solid and all devices connect.

The other benefit is that it is a wifi only solution so you can choose the router solution you prefer, in my case, a pfsense mini-PC.
Old 24-09-2019, 12:40   #25
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

I do have the BT home hub as a close second choice, though the twin ethernet ports of the tp link sway it (I have things like smart tv's/ cctv that need ethernet and two ports are more versatile)

I'm only on the 100 mBit stream, and unlikely to ever get close to maxing out the devices ability for the lifetime of them.

I'm not sure what Ethernet backhaul is, and if I should need it especially. (I'm not running ethernet from node to node)
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 16:10   #26
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
I do have the BT home hub as a close second choice, though the twin ethernet ports of the tp link sway it (I have things like smart tv's/ cctv that need ethernet and two ports are more versatile)

I'm only on the 100 mBit stream, and unlikely to ever get close to maxing out the devices ability for the lifetime of them.

I'm not sure what Ethernet backhaul is, and if I should need it especially. (I'm not running ethernet from node to node)
Ethernet backhaul means the mesh system can used a wired network to route the traffic between nodes - see https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/f...m=select-local You get lower latency and faster throughput. However, this only make sense if you have the ethernet already wired near the node location.

Your ISP speed is secondary to what you might want to do on the (internal) network. For example, your CTV may be pushing high resolution video to a server/NAS somewhere in your home. You also may want to view the view the video over wifi all the while sharing the (wifi) bandwidth with other home users.

BTW, you can always have a local switch co-located with the node if you want to shared the wired access ..
Old 24-09-2019, 16:48   #27
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

True - I have 100Mb/s to the house, but get around 300-400Mb/s between the Mesh nodes and devices.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 095F4F65-176A-4DE3-AF78-90FB5239644F.jpeg (229.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 25-11-2019, 12:37   #28
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Finally bought a mesh system

Ubiquiti Amplifi 4-Ports Home Wi-Fi System AFI HD Wireless Router

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Am...15033487&psc=1
Old 13-09-2020, 17:34   #29
Pierre99
cf.member

Pierre99 is an unknown quantity at this point

do any of these options allow a Guest network via Ethernet cable? so it isolates the ethernet cable connected device from the rest of the network?
Pierre99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 17:50   #30
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Mesh wifi is all about wifi. I have never heard of guest networks via ethernet in the sense you are talking of. The only way you can do something like that is setting up vlans but you cant do that on traditional residential routers. You can try buying a cheap managed switch or an end of life cisco switch on the cheap.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote