Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 500mb Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

500mb Question

Old 13-05-2019, 08:12   #136
mike86
cf.addict

mike86 is on a distinguished roadmike86 is on a distinguished road
Re: 500mb Question

These days they send prepaid packaging so you can send the TiVo back to them
mike86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-05-2019, 18:56   #137
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Cheers for that Mike. I'll look out for that when the 2nd V6 arrives tomorrow
Old 14-05-2019, 17:09   #138
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Yep,as you said Mike,I can send the Tivo back in the same box that the V6 came in this morniing with a barcoded label for the collect + shop around the corner.
Old 14-05-2019, 21:07   #139
thedotlair
cf.member

thedotlair is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting on the VMB side doing the 500mb upgrade - already have the 4 port Hitron and they're insisting on sending out an engineer (tomorrow, 15th) to install the 500mb service.

Not complaining but thought it would have been a remote upgrade as I already have the four port
thedotlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 23:28   #140
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

I also have a pending order for the business 500 Mb/s service (as I am on an old tariff I will actually save money!) Initially they told me it would simply be a remote upgrade, but was called today to apologise to say they need to send an engineer on Thursday to swap the Hitron. In my case the reason given is because I have the original 2 voice port Hitron and they will only offer the service on the second generation 4 voice port Hitron. No idea why....

I don't even want to use the voice ports, but telling them that made no difference - it has to be changed. BenMcr - any insight you can offer on this?

On another note the Hitron firmware updated last night.

Last edited by ccarmock; 14-05-2019 at 23:32.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 23:48   #141
thedotlair
cf.member

Same here on the tariff - only £2 but better than nothing The voice ports are useless to me as they're not something I personally use. They used the same reason for the engineer visit to me even though I've got the 4 port version. Not gunna complain with new hardware though

Saw your post about the firmware but didn't both doing anything with the new hub tomorrow. The new one should auto upgrade as soon as it's connected though.
Old 15-05-2019, 20:22   #142
thedotlair
cf.member

I thought they were talking about the LAN ports �� I definitely had one of the older 2 ports as well.

Upgrade is complete though

Old 15-05-2019, 21:20   #143
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Did the engineer say why you need the swap for the 4 voice port version for the upgrade?
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 21:41   #144
thedotlair
cf.member

He mentioned something about them wanting to get rid of all the 2 port versions ... didn't really make sense but I can see if they want to do that
Old 22-05-2019, 16:26   #145
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

I had not been on this forum for some time until yesterday and so saw VVIP mentioned for the first time.
We have a mobile deal with Virgin already paying just over £10 for nothing like unlimited.

I selected thinking of leaving hoping to get UK which used to happen but got offshore. They transferred me to the special VVIP department and without even asking they just offered the package for £99 per month and told me to call in April to see what they could do when it was close to ending.
They are going to transfer the existing phone sim to the new unlimited today.

Well impressed and quite a saving for the next year at least.
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 23:49   #146
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickytree View Post
I had not been on this forum for some time until yesterday and so saw VVIP mentioned for the first time.
We have a mobile deal with Virgin already paying just over £10 for nothing like unlimited.

I selected thinking of leaving hoping to get UK which used to happen but got offshore. They transferred me to the special VVIP department and without even asking they just offered the package for £99 per month and told me to call in April to see what they could do when it was close to ending.
They are going to transfer the existing phone sim to the new unlimited today.

Well impressed and quite a saving for the next year at least.
Been on the 500mb package for 3 weeks now and still waiting to see over 350mb the offer was too good to be true the boffins can't understand why my devices won't reach 500mb I was on 200 mb before and constantly reach 218mb all day long
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 08:10   #147
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

If I run speed tests from a device I don't get 500Mpbs - but I don't expect too.

Only see 500Mpbs with a direct ethernet connection to the router using a 1000mpbs ethernet connection.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 09:54   #148
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

yeah, if I was going to try and get 500mbits on a single device/connection I would be wanting to make sure my router was more than capable of the speed, I was using a wired gigabit link and the device (e.g. my pc) was using an ssd.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 10:47   #149
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
Been on the 500mb package for 3 weeks now and still waiting to see over 350mb the offer was too good to be true the boffins can't understand why my devices won't reach 500mb I was on 200 mb before and constantly reach 218mb all day long
You need to make sure your 5ghz wifi is set to 20/40/80 and you have a decent wifi device like a flagship phone. 500mb is t really needed for one single device, its handy for busy houses

Last edited by jb66; 19-06-2019 at 11:04.
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 18:19   #150
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
If I run speed tests from a device I don't get 500Mpbs - but I don't expect too.

Only see 500Mpbs with a direct ethernet connection to the router using a 1000mpbs ethernet connection.
... or a top notch phone. I get >520mb on my Galaxy S10+ in the same room as my router.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote