Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sam knows whitebox

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Sam knows whitebox

Old 01-08-2020, 18:55   #1
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to JMcB
Sam knows whitebox

Hi everyone,

With resent speed problems I have been having and Virgin Media not excipting that I have been getting slow speeds, I was advised by one of the engineers that had called out to test and replace everything that I should apply for a "Whitebox" from SamKnows.

So the whitebox has arrived today and I've pluged in all in as recommended by SamKnows.

I'll be getting my login info soon and within a week will have results.

One of the main reasons for applying for this whitebox was the engineer said if the box says you are getting 100mb and we say you are getting 500mb. "You are getting 100mb"

Has anyone any experience with the whitebox from SamKnows? FYI. The box is Version 8.
JMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2020, 00:25   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Sam knows whitebox

Several forum users have got one. I can't remember who they are off the top of my head so you'll have to wait and see if they reply.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:38   #3
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them

I've got one, there's not much to say about it, it gives you some stats on your connection and you get an email every month showing how your broadband has behaved.

Last 24h

Last 30 days

There's been a utilisation issue on my segment, it looks like they may have done work as the speed has definitely gone up (although now I don't see TTL expired packets...but that's another story).

I'm on a Business 500 service with 13 static IP's.
fizzyade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 20:15   #4
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future

Thanks for that, it's great to have a look at what I'll be able to see. ����
Old 04-08-2020, 22:44   #5
punkrock101
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Freesat, Sky Gigafast FTTP Broadband, Virgin Gig1
punkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enough

I’ve had one for years... one time Virgin tried to fob me off when I was getting slow speeds at night but kept on at them armed with evidence from the SamKnows box, they eventually admitted over utilising in the local virgin network was to blame. Took months but they fixed it.
punkrock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 00:02   #6
JMcB
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrock101 View Post
I’ve had one for years... one time Virgin tried to fob me off when I was getting slow speeds at night but kept on at them armed with evidence from the SamKnows box, they eventually admitted over utilising in the local virgin network was to blame. Took months but they fixed it.
I'm thinking that's the plan....fingers crossed
Old 05-08-2020, 14:39   #7
Frazz
cf.addict

Services: 2 x tivo TV XL with movie and sport 500Mb broadband phone talk anytime Unlimited mobile phone sim
Frazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about them

I've had one for years and have used it on several occasions to fight my case when my speed hasn't been what it should be.

It has always helped me in fighting my case.

It's well worth having
Frazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 11:43   #8
sinbad
cf.member

sinbad is an unknown quantity at this point

I registered for a white box as I was having issues and out of the blue I got a call from virgin offering a superhub 4 (I'm on 350 package). I said ok then and when It arrived and I set it up it appears to have samknows built in.
My broadband has been stable since so I put my issues down to the crap hub3.

Note: I run my hub in router mode as I have an asus router to cover the whole house wifi.
PING ms
DOWNLOAD Mbps
UPLOAD Mbps

Last edited by sinbad; 18-08-2020 at 12:01. Reason: add figures
sinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 15:58   #9
JMcB
cf.geek

I have the same setup, wounded would a SH4 help ��
Old 22-08-2020, 11:02   #10
david_w2k
cf.addict

david_w2k is on a distinguished roaddavid_w2k is on a distinguished road

Hi all
I got a whitebox recently more out of interest after reading about them on here. Mine appears to be slowing much slower speeds than I am actually seeing - e.g. today it shows 70mbps whereas even over WiFi I’m getting my full 500 mbps on Speedtest.net

Any ideas?
david_w2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 16:16   #11
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

Maybe the Whitebox configured wrong?
I had similar back when doing trials for Virgin, make contact with SamKnows for advice.
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 20:44   #12
david_w2k
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging bull View Post
Maybe the Whitebox configured wrong?
I had similar back when doing trials for Virgin, make contact with SamKnows for advice.
thanks, OK will drop them an email. As you say likely to be a config issue.
Old 25-08-2020, 01:51   #13
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them

I had a weird thing the other day, noticed downloads were maxing out at about 5Mbit and that I had terrible latency.

There had been an outage prior to the speed reduction, and I'd rebooted the hitron.

When I noticed the slow speeds, I initially blamed opnsense and rebooted that, but when it came back up the issue still remained, at this point I was thinking "oh god, utilisation issues here".

As a last resort, I went into the hitron and everything looked ok, nothing out of the ordinary, all channels in use, IP's correct (I'm on the 13 ip package) so decided I'd reboot it anyway.

After the whirring of the hamster had finished, straight to ookla and I could see visually just from the page loading that speeds had returned and sure enough instead of the 5Mbit DL rate, I was back to 500Mbit.

Absolutely no indication of what had happened, but a reboot fixed it and it's all back and working fine now.

The white box confirms this by the graphs, I can see the outage and my post outage reboot showing slow speeds and the instant I rebooted the hitron I see the speeds jump back up to normal.
fizzyade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 22:03   #14
esivdanacI
emrebmemer

esivdanacI is an unknown quantity at this point

The SamKnows team are really, good, bright motivated people. Sam himself is a really clever dedicated guy. I really enjoyed working with them over many years. It was good to see them grow and mature.
esivdanacI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 12:30   #15
david_w2k
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by esivdanacI View Post
The SamKnows team are really, good, bright motivated people. Sam himself is a really clever dedicated guy. I really enjoyed working with them over many years. It was good to see them grow and mature.
Yeah their support teams seem great. Looks like the issue I am seeing is actually something to do with the routing from Virgin to some servers. Will be interesting to hear the result of their investigation