Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 18-07-2020, 11:49   #7786
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Let me know when you convince the Mrs to ditch Virgin’s top package. I imagine the reaction will be much the same.
All I managed to do at the end of my £99.99 offer period was to transfer Sky Cinema to Now TV. I don't think I would be popular if I ditched Virgin TV, although I would be content just using the streamers.

As you may recall, I would prefer to have everything on one box, but VM really aren't helping. We are still missing Apple TV, and when I tried to subscribe to Starzplay on the system, a message came up saying I had to phone in. I mean...what? I joined in the end through Roku, which was a straight forward process.
Advertisement
Old 18-07-2020, 22:19   #7787
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Surely, pressing a button to say you don't want Prime is not that much of a hassle!

As far as Netflix is concerned, I am pretty sure there won't be a huge drop-off of subscriptions. There is a lot of good content on there, and once into it, you can see straight away what you have been missing with conventional TV channels.

Try telling your teenage kids you are scrapping Netflix! Give me some warning - I'll keep my head down!

OB - Do you ever read posts, I have already explained that I did press button to say I didn't want Prime, they still signed me up to it.

So you think 10m new subscribers (9.5m furloughed) during lockdown will all keep Netflix when they are either back at work or unemployed - I would expect at least half to drop it.

As for your comment about my teenage kids - I haven't got any! So you will have a long wait.
Old 18-07-2020, 23:24   #7788
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
OB - Do you ever read posts, I have already explained that I did press button to say I didn't want Prime, they still signed me up to it.

So you think 10m new subscribers (9.5m furloughed) during lockdown will all keep Netflix when they are either back at work or unemployed - I would expect at least half to drop it.

As for your comment about my teenage kids - I haven't got any! So you will have a long wait.
Also notice how Amazon use sly pressure selling with things like "only 4 remaining" on items very naughty by Amazon.
Old 19-07-2020, 11:17   #7789
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Also notice how Amazon use sly pressure selling with things like "only 4 remaining" on items very naughty by Amazon.
Another good reason to avoid Amazon, also the lack of tax they pay!

I would be in favour of a sales tax of say 5% added to everything sold to people in this country (reduce taxation on shops etc to compensate) - this would go some way to levelling the playing field.

The USA couldn't really complain as they have had a similar tax on all sales for years.
Old 19-07-2020, 11:23   #7790
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I use Amazon a fair bit and I cannot complain about the offers and service that they supply, I got an amazing deal on a pair of Clarks Gore-Tex boots, they were priced at £120 on the Clarks website but I got them for £63 from Amazon, I'd say that's a good reason for continuing to use them imo.
Old 19-07-2020, 11:38   #7791
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

I would be in favour of a sales tax of say 5% added to everything sold to people in this country (reduce taxation on shops etc to compensate) - this would go some way to levelling the playing field.

The USA couldn't really complain as they have had a similar tax on all sales for years.
Not a very good reason at all.

Its up to governments to close tax loopholes and level out the retail tax landscape.
Old 19-07-2020, 11:55   #7792
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Prime do make a long and winding road to unsubscribe, which I always do when they want to start charging. Also very easily to accidentally sign up when ordering something. A profitable set up for them.
Old 19-07-2020, 12:36   #7793
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Not a very good reason at all.

Its up to governments to close tax loopholes and level out the retail tax landscape.
The way they treat their staff is a very good reason to not shop with them.
Old 19-07-2020, 13:17   #7794
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Prime do make a long and winding road to unsubscribe, which I always do when they want to start charging. Also very easily to accidentally sign up when ordering something. A profitable set up for them.
I totally agree, this is my main reason for avoiding them.

Do they pay Google to appear higher up search lists than e-bay?
Old 20-07-2020, 14:04   #7795
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
The way they treat their staff is a very good reason to not shop with them.
What you might call cutting off your nose to spite your face?

People choose to work for Amazon, and there are plenty of employment protection laws in place. And as Den says, it's up to the government to set the tax rates and the rules under which they are applied.

Whatever. If you choose to pay more to shop elsewhere, I guess that's your choice. I would far rather shop with Amazon than spend money on fuel or public transport to get into town and then spend more in overcrowded shops with poor customer services. I can find better ways to spend my time.
Old 20-07-2020, 14:49   #7796
Richardr
cf.addict

Services: V6, Full House, Braodband
Richardr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

As opposed to the 20% currently charged (except for books which are zero rated for VAT)?
Old 20-07-2020, 14:54   #7797
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

You are are assuming Amazon are always the cheapest of the online options. I find sometimes they are but often they are not, especially are you can rarely get cash back through Quidco for Amazon purchases.

I too find Amazon's check out procedure very confusing. It is difficult NOT to join Prime and they try to charge for P and P even when there is a free option for non-Prime users (and 9 times out of 10 arrives much more quickly than their estimate).
Old 20-07-2020, 15:29   #7798
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
You are are assuming Amazon are always the cheapest of the online options. I find sometimes they are but often they are not, especially are you can rarely get cash back through Quidco for Amazon purchases.

I too find Amazon's check out procedure very confusing. It is difficult NOT to join Prime and they try to charge for P and P even when there is a free option for non-Prime users (and 9 times out of 10 arrives much more quickly than their estimate).
Glad I'm not the only one - I was beginning to feel like a persecuted minority for a while
Old 20-07-2020, 16:19   #7799
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post

I am a Prime member and they have never, ever tried to charge me for P&P inappropriately, and we do a lot of our shopping there.

What people may not realise is that free P&P through Prime is only available on Prime products. These are indicated clearly on the website. Some products are supplied by other providers and a charge is often made for them by those outside providers.
Old 20-07-2020, 16:21   #7800
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I find Amazon isn't as cheap these days , I recently stopped my auto renewal for Prime and to be honest can't say I've missed it.
Closed Thread