Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 19:43   #7651
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Because it's the equivalent of "whatever!" - not adding value to the conversation...
It's the way you've interpreted it, Hugh.

What I meant was that the article confirmed jfman's view, which he had expressed on these forums.
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2020, 20:12   #7652
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Apparently the entire boxset of scrubs has arrived on All4. However nothing on virgin media. do we not have the full features and content of All4?
Old 03-05-2020, 21:41   #7653
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It's the way you've interpreted it, Hugh.

What I meant was that the article confirmed jfman's view, which he had expressed on these forums.
Yes, that certainly plays to your mindset, OLD BOY.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 03-05-2020, 22:22   #7654
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Apparently the entire boxset of scrubs has arrived on All4. However nothing on virgin media. do we not have the full features and content of All4?
I've not seen it on SKYs boxsets either yet, maybe it goes live tomorrow?
Old 03-05-2020, 23:14   #7655
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
I've not seen it on SKYs boxsets either yet, maybe it goes live tomorrow?
It's on All4's website, the app on my Samsung TV and the Now TV box so I assume it will arrive on the remaining platforms imminently.
Old 03-05-2020, 23:43   #7656
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
It's on All4's website, the app on my Samsung TV and the Now TV box so I assume it will arrive on the remaining platforms imminently.
Yeah just checked on my nvidia shield it's on there.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:47   #7657
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Unfortunately not yet. I appears that the actual All4 app might be about to be added to VM, but in the meantime it's just a limited selection of Catch Up and On Demand content on VM.
Old 04-05-2020, 15:58   #7658
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
Unfortunately not yet. I appears that the actual All4 app might be about to be added to VM, but in the meantime it's just a limited selection of Catch Up and On Demand content on VM.
All4 without the ads would be good.
Old 04-05-2020, 18:02   #7659
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
While Netflix (and others) are enjoying the financial consequences of a third of the planet generally staying indoors I stumbled across this article that I think sums up a lot of the streaming industry.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...business-model
And are you suggesting that Netflix is like Deliveroo? What is your view?

Takeaways tend to be expensive, so if there is a economic downturn, yes this could hurt Deliveroo. But Netflix is cheaper and besides, if people can't afford to go out, have takeaways etc, I suggest to you that this would be good for Netflix and the other streamers. People have got to have some pleasures in life.

The other point I'd make is that regardless of the virus and its after effects, Netflix has created a systemic change in the media industry forever. Which as I keep saying, is why Murdoch sold out, as he knew he could not compete in the new streaming age with gigantic tech giants with deep pockets.
Old 04-05-2020, 19:00   #7660
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
And are you suggesting that Netflix is like Deliveroo? What is your view?

Takeaways tend to be expensive, so if there is a economic downturn, yes this could hurt Deliveroo. But Netflix is cheaper and besides, if people can't afford to go out, have takeaways etc, I suggest to you that this would be good for Netflix and the other streamers. People have got to have some pleasures in life.

The other point I'd make is that regardless of the virus and its after effects, Netflix has created a systemic change in the media industry forever. Which as I keep saying, is why Murdoch sold out, as he knew he could not compete in the new streaming age with gigantic tech giants with deep pockets.
My point - not specific to Netflix but the wider streaming industry - was that the hype and market valuations have no link to the underlying business models. The article goes on to say this is a staple of the technology sector just try not to be the last guy holding the shares when it all goes under.

Quote:
When every customer loses you money, it’s not good news for your business if customer numbers stay solid or even increase, unless there’s someone else who believes that’s a good thing. What these companies rely on is telling a story – largely to people who will invest in them. Their narrative is they’re “disrupting” existing industries, will build huge market share and customer bases, and thus can’t help but eventually become hugely profitable – just not yet.
“Deep pockets” are no substitute for an underlying profitable business model.

I do agree with you that being a cheap affordable luxury means the virus doesn’t present a risk to streaming services in itself. Pay-tv (the market that streaming is part of) wasn’t hit in 2008.
Old 04-05-2020, 19:25   #7661
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Quote:
All4 without the ads would be good.
You can have all4 without ads for a small monthly fee.
Old 04-05-2020, 19:36   #7662
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
You can have all4 without ads for a small monthly fee.
I know, it's called All4+ I believe. I would like VM to provide the ITV Hub, All4 and My5 all free of ads, the price being absorbed within the top package.
Old 04-05-2020, 21:41   #7663
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I know, it's called All4+ I believe. I would like VM to provide the ITV Hub, All4 and My5 all free of ads, the price being absorbed within the top package.
Something that’d cost Virgin hundreds of millions of pounds per year and bring no additional content to the party.
Old 04-05-2020, 22:07   #7664
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Quote:
VM are not going to get everything LG do not have bottomless pockets, even on SKY MY5, ALL4 has ads.
Old 04-05-2020, 22:30   #7665
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
VM are not going to get everything LG do not have bottomless pockets, even on SKY MY5, ALL4 has ads.
And even those deals outside of ad supported catch-up tv are for a small (in the case of Ch5) or rotating (in the case of CH4) library of 'box set' content, not the whole shebang - as jfman states, it would cost an extraordinary amount especially if the three PSBs are willing to give up potentially lucrative ad revenue they could likely get from the free apps. If catalogue content is such an issue, Virgin would be better off trying to bundle something like Britbox... it provides the service with a lot of content that people may want to watch and would help Britbox scale.
Closed Thread