Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 18:34   #7561
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

If your fifteen year (twenty year?) plan to replace linear with streaming is relying on bad weather it certainly hasn't been so prevalent an issue to see Virgin Media soar ahead of Sky/Freeview in cabled areas.
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2020, 18:35   #7562
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Generally affects lower frequencies and terrestrial transmitters. I remember in my CB days a massive "lift" and the CB'er next to me in the carpark was talking to somebody in Madison Square Garden ( New York ) and the signal was coming in at S10 on only 4 watts!

Same lift allowed us to talk to CB'ers in Shetland as if they were next door.
Old 04-04-2020, 19:40   #7563
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
That may just become a more regular occurence!
My observations come from having satellite for many many years so I'm not sure why that would change.
Old 04-04-2020, 20:50   #7564
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
My observations come from having satellite for many many years so I'm not sure why that would change.
Global warming?
Old 04-04-2020, 23:24   #7565
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Generally affects lower frequencies and terrestrial transmitters. I remember in my CB days a massive "lift" and the CB'er next to me in the carpark was talking to somebody in Madison Square Garden ( New York ) and the signal was coming in at S10 on only 4 watts!

Same lift allowed us to talk to CB'ers in Shetland as if they were next door.
Wouldn't that be 'skip' where the signal bounces off the ionosphere? Always wondered what caused it, I talked to a guy in Fraserburgh from Portsmouth on a 2w rig, he STILL hasn't sent me the QSL card! (DJ from 86 Gallowhill Road i'm talking to you!)
Old 05-04-2020, 14:38   #7566
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Would anyone with Now TV accounts please let me know if they can access the passes and vouchers section of their account?
I'm in the same boat as the people in this Now TV forum thread https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Accou.../523833#M12196

As they have shut down their customer services atm there seems no way to rectify this
Old 05-04-2020, 14:43   #7567
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
Would anyone with Now TV accounts please let me know if they can access the passes and vouchers section of their account?
I'm in the same boat as the people in this Now TV forum thread https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Accou.../523833#M12196

As they have shut down their customer services atm there seems no way to rectify this
No issue with me using Safari on a MacBook.
Old 05-04-2020, 15:41   #7568
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
The virtual Grand National is expected to bring in a massive audience today. Bigger viewing figures than the real thing.
Around 5 million viewers.

But the most important thing is NHS Charities Together is to receive more than £2.6 million in the form of a donation from bookmakers who took bets on the 2020 Virtual Grand National on Saturday.
Old 05-04-2020, 15:54   #7569
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post

Just tried it and got in with no problems, I'm on a laptop and using Firefox browser.
Old 05-04-2020, 17:51   #7570
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

@jfman and @Mad Max
Thanks, I think I shall have to try installing Safari and Firefox before they start charging me.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:04   #7571
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
If your fifteen year (twenty year?) plan to replace linear with streaming is relying on bad weather it certainly hasn't been so prevalent an issue to see Virgin Media soar ahead of Sky/Freeview in cabled areas.
Well, it's not. My comment was simply a factual one. Satellite and terrestrial broadcast transmissions are affected by weather (high pressure does not bring bad weather by the way) whereas cable and IPTV broadcasts are not.

By my calculation, jfman, 2035 is 15 years away. A lot will happen between now and then. The shift away from terrestrial TV broadcasts will result from the growing recognition by the population that so-called 'live' scheduled TV is not the best way to access TV programmes for reasons already explained; the increasing problem of bringing fresh new programming to the channels due to the growing domination of the streamers, impacting on advertising revenues; the continuing pressure by the government to replace the licence fee with a subscription model (which is not compatible with terrestrial broadcasting); and the pressure there will be to give up more of the spectrum to 5G, etc.

I appreciate that you have a different view, jfman, which is par for the course, but hopefully we will both live long enough to find out who was right.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:21   #7572
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I haven't kept up with the conversation and only seen this last post but for what it's worth I agree with you. The weather doesn't have a frequent effect on my tv and has never knocked out VM tv however once a year when we have a ridiculously hot day it will knock my Sky tv out and similarly during a thunderstorm.

I think on demand/streaming is the way to go for the future and also getting rid of the tv license and making the BBC stand on its own two feet. The sooner both of those happen the better.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:14   #7573
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I haven't kept up with the conversation and only seen this last post but for what it's worth I agree with you. The weather doesn't have a frequent effect on my tv and has never knocked out VM tv however once a year when we have a ridiculously hot day it will knock my Sky tv out and similarly during a thunderstorm.

I think on demand/streaming is the way to go for the future and also getting rid of the tv license and making the BBC stand on its own two feet. The sooner both of those happen the better.
Ofcourse streaming is the future but we will always have folk who can't accept the future,
I've been following this discussion of OB with great interest and all the main ones involved all have very valid points.
Old 06-04-2020, 13:36   #7574
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

According to this article, Disney+ on Sky Q has limitations. No HDR, no 4K and, despite the hype, Disney+ content is NOT integrated into Sky Q search.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...ox-Not-Working
Old 06-04-2020, 14:04   #7575
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Ofcourse streaming is the future but we will always have folk who can't accept the future,
I've been following this discussion of OB with great interest and all the main ones involved all have very valid points.
I'm unsure who you are accusing of not accepting the future. Most of us in this thread welcome all kinds of television, it's only a small minority who don't value the diversity that streaming, linear, on demand (essentially streaming) and a PVR offer.
Closed Thread