Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 20:45   #7156
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Well, you can easily stop your subscription..
So you don't think its too dear then MM?.
Old 06-01-2020, 20:57   #7157
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I am certainly not bashing Netflix. I am being realistic. I have been a subscriber for 4 years but am fed up of how quickly the price has risen and that other new streamers are much cheaper and include 4k without having 3 tiers.
These new streamers are cheaper for now, you can be certain their price rises are coming.

---------- Post added at 20:57 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Still a lot cheaper than a SKY tv sub or Virgin tv sub.
Old 06-01-2020, 20:58   #7158
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
These new streamers are cheaper for now, you can be certain their price rises are coming.

---------- Post added at 20:57 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

While true - they aren't genuinely competing with Sky or Virgin though at those price points - they're competing against the increasing number of sub-£10 a month streaming services.
Old 06-01-2020, 21:00   #7159
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

Quite a few have one or two streaming add ons on top of their SKY tv sub and Virgin tv subs.
Old 06-01-2020, 21:30   #7160
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Quite a few have one or two streaming add ons on top of their SKY tv sub and Virgin tv subs.
I used to myself before cutting the cord.

---------- Post added at 21:30 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
While true - they aren't genuinely competing with Sky or Virgin though at those price points - they're competing against the increasing number of sub-£10 a month streaming services.
Very good point.
Old 06-01-2020, 21:41   #7161
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Well, you can easily stop your subscription..
Currently I don't plan on cancelling. I like some of the content.

I can stay subscribed and not be happy with the pricing. When I started it was only 5.99 a month. It's not up to 8.99 which is getting silly.
Old 06-01-2020, 22:45   #7162
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
I never said it wasn't, Den, I was merely pointing out that if he or anyone else for that matter is unhappy over the price that they pay, then they can stop paying it whenever they want, there's no contract with Netflix.
Old 06-01-2020, 23:01   #7163
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Arguably they’re providing a service to the very viewers who have always resisted multi-channel TV because they never understood what was so intrinsically wonderful about having access to 200 channels when they never intended even to glimpse at 90% of them.

I’m in this category - back in the day I had NTL mostly for the broadband but also because our house never had a terrestrial aerial and it was in the days when it was the easiest way to get access to all the BBC’s digital output; I then had sky because we moved to an area with very poor terrestrial signal and subscribing to a sky dish was the only effective way of getting any tv at all (pre-Freesat). We cancelled our tv subscriptions years ago and these days have Prime Video (though initially that was for Prime parcel delivery benefits rather than tv) and Netflix, because for a household with kids of various ages there is a far higher concentration of watchable programming on that platform. We get far more with two streaming subscriptions than we ever did out of either a Sky or NTL subscription, and at a far lower price.
Old 06-01-2020, 23:43   #7164
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Arguably they’re providing a service to the very viewers who have always resisted multi-channel TV because they never understood what was so intrinsically wonderful about having access to 200 channels when they never intended even to glimpse at 90% of them.

I’m in this category - back in the day I had NTL mostly for the broadband but also because our house never had a terrestrial aerial and it was in the days when it was the easiest way to get access to all the BBC’s digital output; I then had sky because we moved to an area with very poor terrestrial signal and subscribing to a sky dish was the only effective way of getting any tv at all (pre-Freesat). We cancelled our tv subscriptions years ago and these days have Prime Video (though initially that was for Prime parcel delivery benefits rather than tv) and Netflix, because for a household with kids of various ages there is a far higher concentration of watchable programming on that platform. We get far more with two streaming subscriptions than we ever did out of either a Sky or NTL subscription, and at a far lower price.

Excellent point well made.

---------- Post added at 23:43 ---------- Previous post was at 23:11 ----------

Off the subject, slightly, my Now TV sub was due to finish on 14th January this year, I was paying £3.49 per month for the entertainment pass which gives you all the good stuff on Atlantic, I got notification that from 14th January it would then be £8.99, so I decided to go down the cancel route, but, they gave me an offer I couldn't refuse, which is £1.69 per month for the next three months, not bad eh...
Old 06-01-2020, 23:45   #7165
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
However the Sky/Virgin subscriber numbers appear to place him in the minority. Far more people have streaming services in addition to Sky/Virgin, myself included, than have abandoned them. This will remain the case until (and I suppose “if”) major sports rights end up on streamers. Which is why I made the point about the real streaming competition between themselves. Either for those who don’t (and have never wanted) Sky/Virgin due to cost or for what services Sky/Virgin customers add on.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:11   #7166
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:

---------- Post added at 23:43 ---------- Previous post was at 23:11 ----------

Off the subject, slightly, my Now TV sub was due to finish on 14th January this year, I was paying £3.49 per month for the entertainment pass which gives you all the good stuff on Atlantic, I got notification that from 14th January it would then be £8.99, so I decided to go down the cancel route, but, they gave me an offer I couldn't refuse, which is £1.69 per month for the next three months, not bad eh...
That must be the same offer they made to us.
Old 07-01-2020, 22:08   #7167
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
That must be the same offer they made to us.

It's a really good deal, Den...
Old 07-01-2020, 23:22   #7168
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Taken from dspy.

Content budgets in 2020:

Netflix $18.5 billion
Amazon $8.5 billion
Apple TV+ $6 billion
Hulu $4.5 billion
Disney+ $2.5 billion
HBO Max $2 billion
Peacock $1.5 billion
Quibi $1 billion
CBS All Access $1 billion
Old 07-01-2020, 23:27   #7169
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

So Disney is leaning very heavily on its back catalogue, Apple is leaning on its brand, Amazon is leaning on its broader Prime member benefits and Netflix is the only one making very serious efforts to build up a library of new, exclusive material. At quite a cost, though.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:34   #7170
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
It's a really good deal, Den...
There is no doubt about that as they need us more then we need them MM.

---------- Post added at 05:34 ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 ----------

Quote:
Taken from dspy.

Content budgets in 2020:

Netflix $18.5 billion
Amazon $8.5 billion
Apple TV+ $6 billion
Hulu $4.5 billion
Disney+ $2.5 billion
HBO Max $2 billion
Peacock $1.5 billion
Quibi $1 billion
CBS All Access $1 billion
You could look at that and in terms of monetary budgets being spent its no contest but as the previous market history has told us it does not work out like that sometimes.

Netflix might seem all powerful but the demise of Blockbuster in this sector is a clear reminder on how quickly that the market can change.

Personally and its only my opinion Amazon and Disney are best place going forward and possibly Netflix in the end being bought by Apple which would give them a significant foothold into this market.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/431...sink-this-ship

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/04/jp-m...y-netflix.html