Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 16:44   #391
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgollop View Post
Any of the other content on there worth a watch?
There are some shows that were on Atlantic that we obviously couldn't get, which are on various Netflix regions.

The Following (on US)
The Borgias (on US)
Blue Bloods (Denmark )
House of Lies (Canada/Denmark)
Friday Night Lights (US)
Mad Men (US)

This is a useful site; it tells you if a ilm or TV show is on Netflix and which region it is on.

http://www.moreflicks.com/home/tv-se...%5B%5D=netflix
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2014, 18:09   #392
kgollop
cf.geek

Services: VIP Bundle, with 350Mb BB and 2 x V6 boxes
kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
There are some shows that were on Atlantic that we obviously couldn't get, which are on various Netflix regions.

The Following (on US)
The Borgias (on US)
Blue Bloods (Denmark )
Friday Night Lights (US)
Mad Men (US)

This is a useful site; it tells you if a ilm or TV show is on Netflix and which region it is on.

Thanks, have just started The Following which looks excellent. In terms of the other streaming services on the WDTV there's not much else I'm likely to be making much use of I don't think as there's a tivo connected to the same tv. Looks good as a media player though. Have installed the zappo app so you can stream content from my phone which works well
Old 03-03-2014, 18:27   #393
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgollop View Post
Thanks, have just started The Following which looks excellent. In terms of the other streaming services on the WDTV there's not much else I'm likely to be making much use of I don't think as there's a tivo connected to the same tv. Looks good as a media player though. Have installed the zappo app so you can stream content from my phone which works well
I like The Following, though it seemed to get mixed comments. I'm currently watching season 2 episodes weekly via Hulu, which Unblockus gives you access to. They only keep 5 previous episodes, so the earliest one they still have of season 2 is episode 2.

Many people use the WD box for streaming ripped DVDs and as far as I know it's quite good at it; I prefer to use the My Movies add on for Windows Media Centre on my media PCs for that, so haven't experimented with that aspect of it. I used to stream Netflix via the PC, which only gives you 720p and stereo on a Win7 PC so wanted a cheap way to get 1080p and 5.1 and at the time I bought, the WD box was the cheapest way to do it. I only learned after buying it of the advantages it had over other options, especially the 1080p/24 setting that much of US Netflix is encoded in.
Old 03-03-2014, 23:44   #394
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I really think its pretty crap that we cant get some of these shows, without having to go to the trouble of buying another frigging box, and subscribing to something like unblockus!
Old 04-03-2014, 10:49   #395
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I really think its pretty crap that we cant get some of these shows, without having to go to the trouble of buying another frigging box, and subscribing to something like unblockus!
When you consider how little Netflix costs, how little a SmartDNS costs and how much content you have with that combination i personally think it's great.

If boxes like the WDTV weren't multifunctional i might get a bit miffed at their cost but considering you would have to pay similar for the functions it has other than Netflix I don't.

There are some free DNS that you can use if you spend some time googling. I've tested a few in the past and they were adequate enough if you don't mind the occasional resolution drop when watching something but ended up using Unblock-US for it's ease of use and consistency.

In an ideal world licensing wouldn't get in the way but it does, and it's really not much hassle to get around it.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:16   #396
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Warning: Be Prepared to Avoid This Elaborate Netflix Scam.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...lflow_facebook

Quote:
A new phishing scam targeting Netflix customers is being reported. The scam apparently directs users to a fake website after they try to log in and then provides a phony customer service line, according to the Huffington Post.

The phony error webpage bears the Netflix logo and informs the user that his or her account has been suspended due to “unusual activity.” When the customer calls the number provided, a person pretending to be a customer service rep pushes a download of “Netflix support software.”
Old 04-03-2014, 15:31   #397
solitaire
Inactive

solitaire is a jewel in the roughsolitaire is a jewel in the roughsolitaire is a jewel in the roughsolitaire is a jewel in the roughsolitaire is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post

The Following (on US)
The Borgias (on US)
Blue Bloods (Denmark )
Friday Night Lights (US)
Mad Men (US)

Thanks for the info, I didn't know about this site.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:13   #398
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Roku beats Google’s Chromecast to the UK with a TV streaming stick

Quote:
Roku has shrunk the streaming set top box down to the size of a USB stick that plugs directly into the television.

The new Roku Streaming Stick slots into a TV’s HMDI port making any television smart and providing a full video streaming experience with access to 750 apps or streaming channels including the BBC iPlayer, 4OD, YouTube, Netflix and access to a personal videos or music stored on a smartphone or tablet computer.
http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...treaming-stick
Old 05-03-2014, 10:21   #399
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Thanks MM as you beat me to it but yes this does like quite interesting if all you have to do is plug it into a spare HDMI port and then Bobs your uncle.

Would having one of these sticks in a spare HDMI port affect the running of a normal STB?.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:27   #400
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Thanks MM as you beat me to it but yes this does like quite interesting if all you have to do is plug it into a spare HDMI port and then Bobs your uncle.

Would having one of these sticks in a spare HDMI port affect the running of a normal STB?.
Nope not whatsoever , if your TiVo is plugged into HDMI 1 and you place this into HDMI 2 its as simple as changing the source to HDMI 2 to use it , the Roku stick would need to be connected to your router via wifi and your away.

Roku is great the only real criticism I'd have is you can't alter the DNS settings on the device meaning you can't switch Netflix regions unless you change the settings at the router , the other would be it's lack of Love film (now Amazon Prime instant) however I expect that to change as the US Roku has the Amazon Prime instant app and has done for a while.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:32   #401
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Thanks for that MM.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:43   #402
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
the Roku stick would need to be connected to your router via wifi and your away.

That is the only thing I don't like about these new small devices; they only have a wifi connection and I only use wired Ethernet connections. I do realise that most people do use Wifi though.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:21   #403
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Netflix UK Picks Up El Rey’s ‘From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series’, Sets March 12th Premiere

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2014/03/netf...12th-premiere/
Old 06-03-2014, 10:24   #404
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Roku beats Google’s Chromecast to the UK with a TV streaming stick

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...treaming-stick
Will this work with Amazon Prime(love film).
Old 06-03-2014, 10:37   #405
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Will this work with Amazon Prime(love film).
Not at the moment , Roku in the UK has never had a Lovefilm app however the US Roku has Amazon Instant so I'd be amazed if it didn't turn up on Roku over here but if that's your reason for purchasing I'd hang fire until its officially announced.
Closed Thread