Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 21-02-2014, 09:31   #331
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknewark View Post
Maybe Amazon on Demand will arrive on TIVO, and will sit nicely next to Netflix. Hope so.
Yes that would be very welcomed in our household for the future.
Old 21-02-2014, 09:41   #332
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Seems a good deal if you join before 26th Feb

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/prime/pi...orepreannounce
Considering Prime alone is worth that to me it's a win win. However, having a browse through their TV content much of it is available on Netflix anyway and their selection is quite limited. I also notice they list seasons individually so it looks like there is more than there really is.
Old 21-02-2014, 12:00   #333
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
It sounds to me as if you want Netflix to be what you want it to be --- a cheaper version of Sky Movies, rather than what Netflix has proved to be successful ---- a cheap price with loads of DVD boxsets, a few recent films and a lot of oldish, and not so well known films and recently, original content.

Netflix and Sky movies serve different distinct needs.
I do want it to be a cheaper version of Sky Movies, although I appreciate the price may go up a bit to accommodate this. However, the price charged in the States is also pretty low for all the stuff they have on there.

They could always have a two tier system, with a higher price paid for the really up to date films.

Either way, it'll be cheaper than Sky Movies, which although sporting a good range of films, is a rip off in terms of price.
Old 21-02-2014, 12:08   #334
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I do want it to be a cheaper version of Sky Movies, although I appreciate the price may go up a bit to accommodate this. However, the price charged in the States is also pretty low for all the stuff they have on there.

They could always have a two tier system, with a higher price paid for the really up to date films.

Either way, it'll be cheaper than Sky Movies, which although sporting a good range of films, is a rip off in terms of price.
I don't find the £8.99 I pay a month for first run movies bad value.
Old 21-02-2014, 12:41   #335
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

You seem to think the US site is full of current movies; it isn't.

Why do you persist in suggesting a change to a service that has been successful for a number of years, (mainly because it is cheap and has loads of content) to one with complex pricing structures, just to meet your needs?

Do you know more about these things than the Netflix management?
Old 21-02-2014, 14:39   #336
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Looking at some of the early release movies i.e. 12 years a slave, you will still have to pay to watch that movie. The American site is charging $14.99 to buy it. I do not know if you can stream the new movies for "free" if you are a member within the yearly charge. I am also not seeing any mention of the DVD rental service being included in the package. If they added (or already have) the DVD rental serve, then I would find this a fantastic offering. I still do not care for much HBO content, and whilst their movie offering may be better than Netflix, I do not like watching movies by streaming them through my laptop on my TV, it is not as reliable as Netflix on my TIVO.

I very, very rarely buy anything via Amazon so the prime delivery option does not bother me. I will say though, it does seem a good price and I may give it a go, purely for the Kindle lending library. However, I still prefer to expand my physical book collection but finances currently dictate how much I can buy.

Whilst it is a good price, I am not sure if it is for me though.
Old 21-02-2014, 15:11   #337
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post

I very, very rarely buy anything via Amazon so the prime delivery option does not bother me. I will say though, it does seem a good price and I may give it a go, purely for the Kindle lending library. However, I still prefer to expand my physical book collection but finances currently dictate how much I can buy.

Whilst it is a good price, I am not sure if it is for me though.
I had a look into the offer earlier and noticed that you had to have a Kindle branded device to use the lending library. I only use the android Kindle app so no good for me. Some reviews also state the books are not that up to date but I haven't looked if there is a list online.

Thought I'd mention it in case you were in the same boat

I do agree to it being a cracking deal, £49 for a years worth of streaming and next day delivery on Amazon as well as Kindle books (if you have a Kindle device of course)
Old 21-02-2014, 15:19   #338
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Seems a good deal if you join before 26th Feb

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/prime/pi...orepreannounce
For £49 for a year i think i'll have to give this a go, it helps that i have a Kindle Fire HD as well.
I'll start the 30 day free trial tomorrow.

Cheers all for the info
Old 21-02-2014, 15:43   #339
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

The things I do not like about Netflix on the Tivo

Slow loading
Set the TV to zoom every time (because of black bars top and bottom)
What I last watched!!
Not enough up-to-date films

Hopefully this will improve with time.
Old 21-02-2014, 15:45   #340
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

It's £79 I believe.
Old 21-02-2014, 15:50   #341
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
It's £79 I believe.
It's £49 until the end of this month, if that's what you meant?

Doubt i'll renew at £79 though.
Old 21-02-2014, 15:56   #342
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
Set the TV to zoom every time (because of black bars top and bottom)
It's not Netflix's fault that you prefer to watch films in an incorrect aspect ratio

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
It's £49 until the end of this month, if that's what you meant?

Doubt i'll renew at £79 though.
£49 until the 26th Feb.
Old 21-02-2014, 16:20   #343
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
You seem to think the US site is full of current movies; it isn't.

Why do you persist in suggesting a change to a service that has been successful for a number of years, (mainly because it is cheap and has loads of content) to one with complex pricing structures, just to meet your needs?

Do you know more about these things than the Netflix management?
You sound a bit stressed, PB, are you OK? I'm not saying Netflix should do anything, just speculating about what their strategy might be.
Old 21-02-2014, 17:59   #344
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
You sound a bit stressed, PB, are you OK? I'm not saying Netflix should do anything, just speculating about what their strategy might be.

No need to worry OB. It's just that you seem to live in 'cloud Cuckoo land' with regard to current services which have their uniquely defined aims in terms of content, pricing and target audience.

They don't suit your needs of 'up to date content at low prices' so you imagine they will change to satisfy your needs. Just like you imagine Sky will forgo the USP that is HBO shows and Netflix will add more up to date films.

Your replacing of reality with 'would be nice to have fantasy' never seems to end.
Old 21-02-2014, 18:03   #345
Dexy
Inactive

Dexy is an unknown quantity at this point

Just had an email with a code for 6 months free Netflix. I thought this was only for new or existing customers signing up for a collection - I've been a customer since October 2012! I have just added Sky Sports to my package though.. but I thought that was an extra you could add/remove after a month. Certainly doesn't warrant the Netflix deal, not that I'm complaining.
Closed Thread