Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 17-02-2014, 18:50   #316
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
re: Netflix/Streaming Services

That says to me that the price of the subscription is definitely not the issue. Thanks, Nialli.
Advertisement
Old 17-02-2014, 19:51   #317
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

There are, of course, considerably more potential customers in the US.
Old 17-02-2014, 19:57   #318
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Some of the big US ISP's throttle Netflix these days. The excuse is, as mentioned in the article, that it takes up so much bandwidth but i'd be surprised if dirty tactics doesn't play a large part of it as the same ISP's are also cable TV providers.
Old 17-02-2014, 20:05   #319
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
But with $3bn to spend in 2014, are you sure that Netflix cannot afford the latest series? I think it's more to do with rights issues, personally.
Having the money to spend is only one part of the issue , Netflix only has 2 million or so UK subscribers , why would they spend vast fortunes for the UK rights to newer shows with such a small user base. Maybe over time if the service were to grow massively this could change but it certainly wont be over night.

Compare Netflix's 2 million subscriber reach with a pay tv channel like Fox which is available on every UK platform , so that's over 10 million Sky subscribers nearly 4 million VM subscribers and both BT and Talk Talk near the million mark each.
Old 20-02-2014, 20:04   #320
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Having the money to spend is only one part of the issue , Netflix only has 2 million or so UK subscribers , why would they spend vast fortunes for the UK rights to newer shows with such a small user base. Maybe over time if the service were to grow massively this could change but it certainly wont be over night.

Compare Netflix's 2 million subscriber reach with a pay tv channel like Fox which is available on every UK platform , so that's over 10 million Sky subscribers nearly 4 million VM subscribers and both BT and Talk Talk near the million mark each.
I think the likely strategy will be to build up their library with some good films, etc, to attract those extra customers. Look at the interest shown with House of Cards. Netflix will soon become the dominant player in this field, I think.
Old 20-02-2014, 20:22   #321
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Netflix will continue with its original productions were it can show them in all its markets , paying silly amounts for the first run movie rights in the UK just doesn't stack up until it's user base grows considerably larger here in my opinion.
Old 20-02-2014, 20:35   #322
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Netflix will continue with its original productions were it can show them in all its markets , paying silly amounts for the first run movie rights in the UK just doesn't stack up until it's user base grows considerably larger here in my opinion.
Sometimes you sustain a loss by spending more to attract new customers. Look at Sky with their Sky Atlantic channel. A huge loss leader if ever I saw one. Tiny audience, expensive and exclusive first run shows.

I agree with your basic premise, MM, that Netflix's income is not enough to cover the expense of first run material, but this is exactly what attracts new custom. If it wants to grow big quickly, this is the way to do it. I think their pockets are large enough to withstand it.
Old 20-02-2014, 21:11   #323
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Sometimes you sustain a loss by spending more to attract new customers. Look at Sky with their Sky Atlantic channel. A huge loss leader if ever I saw one. Tiny audience, expensive and exclusive first run shows.

I agree with your basic premise, MM, that Netflix's income is not enough to cover the expense of first run material, but this is exactly what attracts new custom. If it wants to grow big quickly, this is the way to do it. I think their pockets are large enough to withstand it.
So long as it's cheaper than the current £8.99 I pay for first run subscription movies I don't care who wins them.
Old 20-02-2014, 21:17   #324
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
http://www.theguardian.com/business/...ma-film-online

"Sky's deals with the major Hollywood studios – Disney, Warner Bros, Paramount, 20th Century Fox, Sony Pictures and Universal Studios – come up for renewal in 2017 and 2018."

"Analysts at IHS put the total value of Sky's movie deals at between £300m and £350m a year."

Imagine how much Netflix would need to bid in 4 years time to try and wrestle those rights away. It's going to be real expensive. SKY are paying out almost £30m a month on movie rights to the studios.
Old 20-02-2014, 22:07   #325
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
http://www.theguardian.com/business/...ma-film-online

"Sky's deals with the major Hollywood studios – Disney, Warner Bros, Paramount, 20th Century Fox, Sony Pictures and Universal Studios – come up for renewal in 2017 and 2018."

"Analysts at IHS put the total value of Sky's movie deals at between £300m and £350m a year."

Imagine how much Netflix would need to bid in 4 years time to try and wrestle those rights away. It's going to be real expensive. SKY are paying out almost £30m a month on movie rights to the studios.
Yup, it would be expensive if they went for all the studios. What is to stop them going just for just one, two or three studios though? (I am not aware of any reason why not, but am happy to be corrected.) Any of Warner Bros, Universal and Disney for example would be excellent additions. I can not imagine they will get anywhere near 20th Century Fox. Even if they have to put the price up by two or three pounds a month for all three potential studio deals, that would still offer tremendous value in my eyes.

If Netflix only nabbed the Disney rights, I imagine Netflix would become a very viable option for parents of small children who can't afford Sky movies or those who only have Sky Movies for the benefit of the children.

From the figures I have seen on here, Netflix appear to have the money currently to afford a loss on Netflix UK (if they could bid for movie rights currently) whilst building their movie portfolio and customer base over here, just imagine what financial clout they may be able wield in 3-4 years.
Old 20-02-2014, 22:07   #326
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

It sounds to me as if you want Netflix to be what you want it to be --- a cheaper version of Sky Movies, rather than what Netflix has proved to be successful ---- a cheap price with loads of DVD boxsets, a few recent films and a lot of oldish, and not so well known films and recently, original content.

Netflix and Sky movies serve different distinct needs.
Old 21-02-2014, 08:18   #327
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Amazon takes on Netflix with rebrand of LoveFilm video-on-demand service

Quote:
Amazon is hitting back at Netflix in the UK by rebranding its LoveFilm video-on-demand service.

LoveFilm, bought out by Amazon three years ago in a deal worth nearly £200m, will be folded into the online retailer's British website next week, creating a one-stop service for digital streaming, DVD rental and books.

"Consumers will be able to shop for what they want, read what they want and watch they want anywhere at any time," said Tim Leslie, vice-president of Amazon Instant Video for the UK and Germany.

LoveFilm, which offers streaming of television series such as The Walking Dead and hit films such as The Place Beyond the Pines and Wall-E, will be merged with the Amazon Prime subscription service, which gives members perks including unlimited free delivery and borrowing up to 500,000 Kindle ebooks.
http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...film-tv-rental
Old 21-02-2014, 08:23   #328
MutleyF
Inactive

Services: 1TB Tivo, "Big Kahuna"
MutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant future

Just say the Amazon rebrand on their website.

As a prime member, this is really good news for me
Old 21-02-2014, 08:49   #329
nicknewark
Inactive

Services: V6 Tivo, Virgin BB, Freesat, NowTV. PS4 Pro
nicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation era

Maybe Amazon on Demand will arrive on TIVO, and will sit nicely next to Netflix. Hope so.
Old 21-02-2014, 09:06   #330
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Seems a good deal if you join before 26th Feb

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/prime/pi...orepreannounce
Closed Thread