Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 25-02-2014, 20:57   #361
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I have never done this streaming thing before so my question is is it worth me getting Amazon Prime for £49 a year if i mainly watch the latest movies and i want to stream to the Xbox etc, or will Netflix off my more?
If your purely looking at both there UK offerings I personally think Lovefilm (Amazon Prime) offers the better movie selection that said Netflix probably has the better range of TV shows and has some decent original shows. Both Netflix and Amazon Prime offer good streaming quality via the Xbox One.
Advertisement
Old 25-02-2014, 21:02   #362
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
If your purely looking at both there UK offerings I personally think Lovefilm (Amazon Prime) offers the better movie selection that said Netflix probably has the better range of TV shows and has some decent original shows. Both Netflix and Amazon Prime offer good streaming quality via the Xbox One.
How old are the films on Amazon Prime, how soon before it shows hollywood blockbusters?

What is the resolution of them 1080p?

Just signed up to to the 30 day trial to lock in the price for a year.
Old 25-02-2014, 22:33   #363
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
How old are the films on Amazon Prime, how soon before it shows hollywood blockbusters?

What is the resolution of them 1080p?

Just signed up to to the 30 day trial to lock in the price for a year.
Sky and Now TV have the first UK subscription pay TV window so you generally have to wait longer for movies to show up on Netflix and Amazon Prime , I believe the app on Xbox One will stream upto 1080p and provides 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus audio.
Old 26-02-2014, 10:27   #364
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

BBC's Ripper Street to return as Amazon gets first broadcast rights

Quote:
Period crime drama Ripper Street, axed by the BBC, will be returning for a third series on Amazon's video-on-demand service.

Amazon confirmed on Wednesday that Filming on the third series will begin in May and be exclusive to subscribers to Prime Instant Video, formerly its LoveFilm VoD service, but will be aired a few months later on BBC1.

As part of the deal the first series will be available immediately to Prime Instant Video subscribers, soon to be followed by the second series.
http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...-amazon-series
Old 27-02-2014, 15:46   #365
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Is there anyway to switch off the non-prime offerings on lovefilm? I got all excited going through the HBO offerings until I realized its PPV
Old 27-02-2014, 19:13   #366
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

If we are going to get the Amazon/Lovefilm and HBO apps, I really do hope that we get them on a subscription rather than a pay per view basis. Even better if VM negotiated a deal similar to that of BT/ESPN, but I don't expect that's going to happen.
Old 27-02-2014, 19:30   #367
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
If we are going to get the Amazon/Lovefilm and HBO apps, I really do hope that we get them on a subscription rather than a pay per view basis. Even better if VM negotiated a deal similar to that of BT/ESPN, but I don't expect that's going to happen.

Apparently we're getting Blockbuster

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10...g-service.html

I think that there is no way you will get HBO as a subscription service, and if the new Amazon Instant video does launch on Tivo, you can buy HBO content via that e.g.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...m%2Cnull%2C291
Old 27-02-2014, 20:04   #368
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Personally we will just wait until the DVD comes out then we can watch it to our hearts content.
Old 28-02-2014, 17:59   #369
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Not sure if mentioned already but Amazon are showing Vikings the day after it airs in the USA season 2 ep 1 is on now.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:58   #370
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Apparently we're getting Blockbuster

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10...g-service.html

I think that there is no way you will get HBO as a subscription service, and if the new Amazon Instant video does launch on Tivo, you can buy HBO content via that e.g.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...m%2Cnull%2C291
I expect you are right about that, but it's a pity, because I'm sure that if there was a subscription arrangement, such as the one we have with Netflix, this would rake in more money for Amazon and HBO. I don't think that many of us are going to be splashing out to 'buy' these rights to stream the programming. I only want to view them once anyway, no point in watching a second time, although I know some people who just watch the same stuff over and over again.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:13   #371
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I expect you are right about that, but it's a pity, because I'm sure that if there was a subscription arrangement, such as the one we have with Netflix, this would rake in more money for Amazon and HBO. I don't think that many of us are going to be splashing out to 'buy' these rights to stream the programming. I only want to view them once anyway, no point in watching a second time, although I know some people who just watch the same stuff over and over again.
Sky have the streaming subscription rights to HBO locked up in the UK. That is the problem.

HBO obviously thought it more lucrative to do an exclusive deal with Sky than to make it available to more people. This seems contrary to the way HBO distributes content in the US, where the subscription option seems available with most cable/satellite services.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:18   #372
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Sky have the streaming subscription rights to HBO locked up in the UK. That is the problem.

HBO obviously thought it more lucrative to do an exclusive deal with Sky than to make it available to more people. This seems contrary to the way HBO distributes content in the US, where the subscription option seems available with most cable/satellite services.
The trouble is PB that Sky offered them a huge amount of money and they took it and thus we are now in the position we are now sadly.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:00   #373
kgollop
cf.geek

Services: VIP Bundle, with 350Mb BB and 2 x V6 boxes
kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era

I'm after a bit of advice. I'm currently using a ps3 with unblockus to access US Netflix. I'd like to add a cheap device in the bedroom for Netflix viewing, that must be unblockus compatible. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-03-2014, 11:48   #374
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgollop View Post
I'm after a bit of advice. I'm currently using a ps3 with unblockus to access US Netflix. I'd like to add a cheap device in the bedroom for Netflix viewing, that must be unblockus compatible. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Roku - you can pick them up for about £45 these days. Or WD live tv you can get for about £60 if you look around on Ebay and Amazon.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:36   #375
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgollop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Roku - you can pick them up for about £45 these days. Or WD live tv you can get for about £60 if you look around on Ebay and Amazon.

Personally I would avoid the Roku if using unblockus as you can't change the DNS settings with in the Roku box and have to change them in your router.

Any of the cheap Bluray players that include Netflix will be fine; sometimes you can get those for around £60.

Personally I like the WDTV Live Streaming Media Player because you can set it to output 1080p/24, which a lot of the content on the US Netflix is encoded as, including US TV as well as films. For TVs that can't do 24fps, it can also output 1080p/60 which works well and you can choose various other combinations.

They often sell for £60 but prices can go higher than that at times.

Another popular Netflix device is Apple TV, but as I understand it, you can't change the default output from 50hz. This possibly applies to most BR players. Also Apple TV only outputs 5.1 DD, rather than 5.1 DD+

This article is a bit old now, but may be of help?

http://www.techofthehub.com/whats-best-netflix-player
Closed Thread