Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 16:24   #1036
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit Development(s) Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It is not extreme to believe that Britain should leave the EU and negotiate a trade deal instead. That is basically what Brexiteers voted for. You are the one raising different issues. I'm just responding to them.
A no-deal breaks/threatens the Good Friday Agreement which is extreme.
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2019, 16:25   #1037
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It is not extreme to believe that Britain should leave the EU and negotiate a trade deal instead. That is basically what Brexiteers voted for. You are the one raising different issues. I'm just responding to them.
You brought Corbyn up - completely irrelevant and for no other reason than to derail the conversation.

“Basically what Brexiteers voted for”. Was it or wasn’t it?

The DUP and ERG are, and always have been, on the extreme end of the argument - you’re simply playing with semantics.

Leaving the EU with a deal is what moderates in the Conservative Party have voted for over and over.
Old 06-10-2019, 16:37   #1038
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Please can you just answer my question?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Of course he can’t. If you want paragraph after paragraph of unrelated wishful nonsense then knock yourself out.
I could point them out. I'm pointing out that there aren't that many that aren't fairly open in that illicit goods and/or people can't move across them. That is why Hungary was forced(not by the EU) to put up a big fence along their border.

It is still the responsibility of Ireland/EU to police what comes into Ireland/EU, not the UK. Same principle the World over. And I've I already pointed out, the backstop is outside of the legal remit of Article 50. It firmly comes under future agreements, which can't even be discussed until we've left the EU.
Old 06-10-2019, 16:42   #1039
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Looking at latest posts in here...We seem to be creeping back to old and tired arguments, stop it, or this thread closes for good. Sick of reading the same crap.
Old 06-10-2019, 16:52   #1040
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
A no-deal breaks/threatens the Good Friday Agreement which is extreme.
The IRA continuing their campaign of violence does that. If the GFA means we can't leave the EU, then the GFA is null and void, because nobody voted for that consequence. Don't get what all the fuss is about. Why on earth should the IRA kick up a fuss over it?

No other country in the world would stand for the way the UK gets treated.
Old 06-10-2019, 17:01   #1041
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The IRA continuing their campaign of violence does that. If the GFA means we can't leave the EU, then the GFA is null and void, because nobody voted for that consequence. Don't get what all the fuss is about. Why on earth should the IRA kick up a fuss over it?

No other country in the world would stand for the way the UK gets treated.
I actually think a country less insecure about it’s own identity would recognise that Northern Ireland voted to remain and depends, to a greater or lesser extent, on trade with the Republic.

NI remaining in the Single Market/Customs Union has doesn’t make Brexit any less Brexit.

If the DUP didn’t have Theresa May by the short and curlies this is very well where we would have been today. Readying for trade deals for the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020.

It gives England what it wants (out the EU), Northern Ireland what it wants (no border) and reduces the chances of one Ireland.
Old 06-10-2019, 17:08   #1042
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I actually think a country less insecure about it’s own identity would recognise that Northern Ireland voted to remain and depends, to a greater or lesser extent, on trade with the Republic.

NI remaining in the Single Market/Customs Union has doesn’t make Brexit any less Brexit.

If the DUP didn’t have Theresa May by the short and curlies this is very well where we would have been today. Readying for trade deals for the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020.

It gives England what it wants (out the EU), Northern Ireland what it wants (no border) and reduces the chances of one Ireland.
Pretty good logic.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 06-10-2019, 17:15   #1043
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Pretty good logic.
Seconded.
Old 06-10-2019, 18:45   #1044
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:

All that would be the subject of a future agreement. The "deal" can only be about a transitional, unambiguously limited in time one. That is the legal position of the EU treaty.

Remaining in the Single Market/Customs Union is against any notion of Brexit. If the UK is to remain in Single market/Customs Union, then it should be explicitly said and debated, and decided upon. Not by a backdoor method. You have a vote on something that is supposed to end on Dec 31st 2020, when 3 little words actually extends things to eternity. Imagine that sort of thing in any form of contract. It would be declared invalid in no time at all. Would you sign a contract like that? One that is designed specifically to restrict you beyond the term of the contract.

Every single notion of the law and of contracts is being overridden in the name of Remain. Whatever happened to proper scrutiny? How is Parliament expected to debate and vote on a near 600 page document in the course of a few hours? That is why the law states that there should be a minimum of 21 sittings days of Parliament involved. Then there is meant to be lots of other stages involved.
Old 06-10-2019, 18:58   #1045
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
All that would be the subject of a future agreement. The "deal" can only be about a transitional, unambiguously limited in time one. That is the legal position of the EU treaty.

Remaining in the Single Market/Customs Union is against any notion of Brexit. If the UK is to remain in Single market/Customs Union, then it should be explicitly said and debated, and decided upon. Not by a backdoor method. You have a vote on something that is supposed to end on Dec 31st 2020, when 3 little words actually extends things to eternity. Imagine that sort of thing in any form of contract. It would be declared invalid in no time at all. Would you sign a contract like that? One that is designed specifically to restrict you beyond the term of the contract.

Every single notion of the law and of contracts is being overridden in the name of Remain. Whatever happened to proper scrutiny? How is Parliament expected to debate and vote on a near 600 page document in the course of a few hours? That is why the law states that there should be a minimum of 21 sittings days of Parliament involved. Then there is meant to be lots of other stages involved.
Your whole post is entirely irrelevant to the point I made. I'm unsure of the link - grateful if you could address my post directly.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:59   #1046
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Last week, I had the nice opportunity to be in another EU country for a global meeting and Brexit came up a few times, I can tell you! Here's what I learned from the 'other side';

From a business point of view, the company I work for is regarded as a critical material supplier to our customers so we need to show that we are prepared for any interruptions in manufacturing up to and including complete destruction of our manufacturing plant. Because of this,we store a huge reserve of finished goods off site that isn't touched in case of a disaster.

However, we also need to assess our critical raw material suppliers to ensure our continuity of supply. If raw materials are currently sourced from countries and/or areas that are at risk of interruption of supply, they are closely looked at. We hold large stocks of critical raw materials, especially from countries at risk. Depending on the country, we are also looking at second suppliers from other regions as a fall back position.

Since 2016, the UK is classed as a risk country. Our company sources a number of chemicals from the UK and second suppliers have been found for all of the critical chemicals sourced from the UK to cover any interruption in supply. In the risk management table, we are about equal with Chile right now which I thought was interesting.

Away from the business implications, the main theme from people I met was 'what are you lot playing at?'. This wasn't just from colleagues from other EU countries but people from the US, India, Australia and China. They couldn't understand why we would voluntarily make trade with our closest neighbours harder.

Of course, the people in my meeting are the 'intellectual elite' with many letters after names and high paying jobs. What was illuminating was the same conversation with my taxi driver back to the airport. After confirming which terminal I wanted, the next thing he said was 'so, Brexit then?'! He was asking a lot about what I thought was going to happen and what I thought in general. In return, I asked what he thought about the EU. His feedback was a few years ago, he wasn't in favour of being in the EU but he has softened since our decision to leave. He said the EU wasn't perfect but it was a 'cold world out there' (his words, not mine)

The country I was in was one of the 5 countries that pay a larger proportion of their GNI than the UK does by the way
Old 07-10-2019, 12:29   #1047
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Last week, I had the nice opportunity to be in another EU country for a global meeting and Brexit came up a few times, I can tell you! Here's what I learned from the 'other side';

From a business point of view, the company I work for is regarded as a critical material supplier to our customers so we need to show that we are prepared for any interruptions in manufacturing up to and including complete destruction of our manufacturing plant. Because of this,we store a huge reserve of finished goods off site that isn't touched in case of a disaster.

However, we also need to assess our critical raw material suppliers to ensure our continuity of supply. If raw materials are currently sourced from countries and/or areas that are at risk of interruption of supply, they are closely looked at. We hold large stocks of critical raw materials, especially from countries at risk. Depending on the country, we are also looking at second suppliers from other regions as a fall back position.

Since 2016, the UK is classed as a risk country. Our company sources a number of chemicals from the UK and second suppliers have been found for all of the critical chemicals sourced from the UK to cover any interruption in supply. In the risk management table, we are about equal with Chile right now which I thought was interesting.

Away from the business implications, the main theme from people I met was 'what are you lot playing at?'. This wasn't just from colleagues from other EU countries but people from the US, India, Australia and China. They couldn't understand why we would voluntarily make trade with our closest neighbours harder.

Of course, the people in my meeting are the 'intellectual elite' with many letters after names and high paying jobs. What was illuminating was the same conversation with my taxi driver back to the airport. After confirming which terminal I wanted, the next thing he said was 'so, Brexit then?'! He was asking a lot about what I thought was going to happen and what I thought in general. In return, I asked what he thought about the EU. His feedback was a few years ago, he wasn't in favour of being in the EU but he has softened since our decision to leave. He said the EU wasn't perfect but it was a 'cold world out there' (his words, not mine)

The country I was in was one of the 5 countries that pay a larger proportion of their GNI than the UK does by the way
Only Germany is a higher net payer than us.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48256318
Old 07-10-2019, 12:35   #1048
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Only Germany is a higher net payer than us.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48256318
You have to allow for artistic license in these works of fiction.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:48   #1049
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post

What are us lot playing at?

How rude.

I'd have told everyone who asked that stupid question in that meeting you had, exactly what I thought of them, I would not have given a shit who they were and what grade of pay they were on or whether they were CEO's.

Remember, I once had a face to face meeting with then ntl CEO Simon Duffy and I basically spoke my mind, bollocked him for allowing the closure of nthellworld.com on his watch and he was made to see that the decision to do that was regretful!

Um, but back to the issue at hand - we have chosen to democratically leave the European Union, but because of the pathetic corrupted cretins in the EU are not acting in good faith, i.e there is plenty of video footage of them mocking us during negotiations, wanting to turn us in to a colony, not allowing the UK to thrive on our own - they cannot stand to see the UK succeed without them post Brexit, they are now urging the UK to think again, they want to give us another extention, I say piss off, we chose to leave and leave we must.
Old 07-10-2019, 13:09   #1050
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Um, but back to the issue at hand - we have chosen to democratically leave the European Union, but because of the pathetic corrupted cretins in the EU are not acting in good faith, i.e there is plenty of video footage of them mocking us during negotiations, wanting to turn us in to a colony, not allowing the UK to thrive on our own - they cannot stand to see the UK succeed without them post Brexit, they are now urging the UK to think again, they want to give us another extention, I say piss off, we chose to leave and leave we must.
Seems like the same tired old EU insults yet again. I thought we had to move on?