Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 25-02-2019, 17:58   #316
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

IIRC, Spiderplant deals with the slates on VM, so i'm hoping he sees this.

It looks like something has gone wrong with the vacated channel 804. Looks like it either should have been taken down as the channel moved a few weeks back, or the wrong slate is being used and the EPG info. is incomplete. It has no channel name and doesn't say where the channel has moved to!

Edit: I've been told that the move happened around the time that the STV HD regions were added, so it looks like it should have been removed as opposed to showing what it is doing now.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 25-02-2019 at 18:33. Reason: Added extra info.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-02-2019, 10:22   #317
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It looks like something has gone wrong with the vacated channel 804. Looks like it either should have been taken down as the channel moved a few weeks back, or the wrong slate is being used and the EPG info. is incomplete. It has no channel name and doesn't say where the channel has moved to!

Edit: I've been told that the move happened around the time that the STV HD regions were added, so it looks like it should have been removed as opposed to showing what it is doing now.
It has now been removed
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 17:07   #318
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
IIRC, Spiderplant deals with the slates on VM, so i'm hoping he sees this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSteve View Post
It has now been removed
We have been told Channel 804 was remove at 9am today.

But we did see an Red Button Channel (like YouTube on channel 198) for an new Asian app. When we was playing about to see if anything has happen.

As of 1.30am last night:

113. Channel Moved (Was STV HD) was removed.
804. Channel Moved (Was Star Bharat) was broadcast for an new Asian APP but EPG was still called "Channel Moved".

By 9am today:

804. Channel Moved - was removed from EPG.

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 16:09 ----------

More Channels changes coming next week.

March 1st:

-Rishtey will be rebranded as Colors Rishtey on Virgin Channel 827.*
-Rishtey Cineplex will be rebranded as Colors Cineplex on Virgin Channel 828.*

March 6th:

-Lifetime +1 will close on Virgin Channel 225.**

*Info from TV Channel Lists.
**Info from TiVo.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 11:54   #319
Gunslinger
cf.addict

Services: VM XL, Tivo, BB, Prime, Now TV, Tennis TV
Gunslinger is on a distinguished roadGunslinger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That's not the case - as has been discussed over on the Community Forum when you made the same point there:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...938986#M175700

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...939090#M175712
Is it possible there is an issue with the algorithm that Tivo uses to estimate the future usage of disc space for planned HD recordings then? The overnight switch of the two planned episodes of Trapped on BBC4 to HD seemed to bring forward the 'No more room on Disc' point by nearly a full week's worth of planned recordings, and certainly more than just 2 hours' worth as suggested above.
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 12:46   #320
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
Is it possible there is an issue with the algorithm that Tivo uses to estimate the future usage of disc space for planned HD recordings then? The overnight switch of the two planned episodes of Trapped on BBC4 to HD seemed to bring forward the 'No more room on Disc' point by nearly a full week's worth of planned recordings, and certainly more than just 2 hours' worth as suggested above.
Maybe it rounds up to the nearest 10 hours. I think it is only meant as a guide - it's not that accurate. Once mine gets to 90%, I look at which recordings to delete before the Tivo does so and takes off what I still want to watch!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 12:59   #321
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

[QUOTE=BenMcr;35984415]That's not the case - as has been discussed over on the Community Forum when you made the same point there:

I've posted a reply on that forum but to summarise:

I checked the amount of space that the one hd recording that I have and checked a sd recording of the same length, albeit from a different channel and the recordings were on different days, and i found that the hd recording took up just under three times the amount of space that the sd recording took.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 21:16   #322
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

[QUOTE=Rillington;35984619]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That's not the case - as has been discussed over on the Community Forum when you made the same point there:

I've posted a reply on that forum but to summarise:

I checked the amount of space that the one hd recording that I have and checked a sd recording of the same length, albeit from a different channel and the recordings were on different days, and i found that the hd recording took up just under three times the amount of space that the sd recording took.
I think you will find that different HD channels take different amounts of space for an hours recording - never watch SD channels but I would imagine the same applies.

If you go into a recording at the play/delete screen and press the info button you get the usage in GB to 2 decimal places and also the amount of Disk Usage this is rounded
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 09:26   #323
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

It'll all depend on the bit rate that is used. Just because the resolution is HD or UHD doesn't mean the quality, especially during panning shots, is the same.

I'd prefer the effort went into getting HD to be better. Some channels are simply appaling the moment anything other than a stationary image is shown.
Old 28-02-2019, 10:03   #324
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
It'll all depend on the bit rate that is used. Just because the resolution is HD or UHD doesn't mean the quality, especially during panning shots, is the same.

I'd prefer the effort went into getting HD to be better. Some channels are simply appaling the moment anything other than a stationary image is shown.
I'm not getting that here. I think it may depend on the type of TV you have. Some models don't do motion very well, I understand from a John Lewis salesman. I assume he's right - I think I read this somewhere too.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 10:23   #325
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Not the TV as DVD (Direct RGB component, progressive) and HD downloaded content (~20 gbyte files) doesn't show it. Varies from channel to channel but there is always some evidence on panning shots.
Old 28-02-2019, 10:30   #326
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Not the TV as DVD (Direct RGB component, progressive) and HD downloaded content (~20 gbyte files) doesn't show it. Varies from channel to channel but there is always some evidence on panning shots.
Likely to be the encoding of the video, which would not make it the VM's problem, or something with your TV. Refresh rate might be an issue or there are often picture settings which are best for certain types of picture, eg sports.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 14:21   #327
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Desi Entertainment slate added to channel 800. It says 'Press red for access to Eros Now and Voot' which are both apps, however this is currently not working.

More information here where it's referred to as the Desi App Pack...

Desi App Pack (CH 800), available from Thursday 28 February

From big-budget Bollywood blockbusters to reality TV, talent shows and new original series, there’s everything you could want and more in your new Desi App Pack.

The apps will be launched on Virgin TV on Thursday 28 February. You can get all this extra entertainment for an additional monthly fee of just £6 if you’re an existing Virgin TV Asian Mela customer, or £12 for customers without Asian Mela.

Eros Now
Eros Now is the home of Bollywood, Hindi and regional Asian movies. It’s packed to the brim with everything from big-name studio releases to independent Asian cinema, with premieres and new films added across the year. But that’s not all, as there’s also Eros Now original productions, music videos and much more.

With more than 10,000 titles to choose from, there’s no shortage of feature films and shorts to sink your teeth into. The hardest decision you’ll have to make is deciding what to watch first!

Voot
Voot is the place to watch the very best in Asian TV entertainment, whenever you want to! Shows to suit every taste, age and mood are all crammed into this fantastic new app. Here, reality TV royalty like Bigg Boss and Rising Star rub shoulders with award-winning Voot original productions and shows from channels such as MTV India and Colors.

Added to this, Voot features exclusive, not-seen-on-TV content about the shows you love, taking you even closer to the stars! And it’s all available in Hindi, Kannada, Marathi, Bangla, Gujarati, Tamil and English.

Where to find them
To get to the Desi App Pack on your Virgin TV V6 Box, simply head to Channel 800 from Thursday 28 February. You can also press the home button on your remote control, select Apps and Games, then All Apps, and you’ll find the pack in there.
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 17:26   #328
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Television X are testing an Television X HD channel out on Astra UK.
Old 28-02-2019, 17:59   #329
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

When it was introduced HD was superb, the fight to economise by compressing it further and further to get more channels on a satellite has led to a much worse picture these days. Indeed SD is not that much worse because the modern boxes are better at ups along than older ones.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 18:55   #330
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Is Freesports HD working for anyone?

As far as we know it been off at media boy HQ since about 3pm today.