Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 23:21   #6916
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Right. Liverpool v Everton, Amazon Prime app on my Samsung 7 Series 4K tellybox. Maximum achievable download speed on our modest ADSL line is 4.5 mbit. And the football was absolutely awful. Blocky, artefacts everywhere, mushy the moment there was any kind of movement on screen. Not a problem I had with the BT Sport app watching the champions league final. It was so mind bogglingly awful to watch I had to give up at half time.
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2019, 23:42   #6917
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I watched some of the football tonight and it weighed in at a not insubstantial 5GB over Vodafone 4G. Largely no issues other than the apparent judder when the camera pans left/right.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:07   #6918
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I watched some of the football tonight and it weighed in at a not insubstantial 5GB over Vodafone 4G. Largely no issues other than the apparent judder when the camera pans left/right.
What device did you use to watch the football?
I have no juddering when the camera pans on my Firetv 4k sticks (which switch to the correct framerate) or on the webOS app on my LG TV's.
My AVR reports the framerate as 50fps so if your device doesn't automatically switch to that try setting the video output to 50 Hz on it.

Amazon have surprised me how good their football coverage has been picture wise, the HD streams are as good as broadcast HD from Sky and BT and the UHD/HDR streams have been the best I've seen, far superior to BT Sports Ultimate on my V6 box and as good if not better than the BBC's UHD/HLG football coverage with the added bonus of having DD+ surround sound whereas the BBC just does stereo sound.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:29   #6919
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
It’s your misunderstanding of trends that’s causing the problem and the assumption they must trend to 100%.

I’ve cited an example before where 3/5 years of iPhone sales upwards trend continuing results in 100% market penetration of the iPhone after about 10 years. A ridiculous notion, I’m sure you’d agree.

Consider internet penetration. Still not 100%.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...t-penetration/

Mobiles. Not 100%.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ion-in-the-uk/

Unfortunately you have confirmation bias so can’t see past the future YOU would like and have been posting about since 2014. Objectivity is so far gone.

I barely watch television, and rarely linear. I don’t have a case I feel passionately about, as you clearly do.

However objectivity tells me that modifying consumer behaviour in the final 20% is much, much harder than capturing the low hanging fruit.
The reason you appear to misunderstand so much is that you manufacture arguments by the other person that have never been made. This is a case in point. Where have I ever said that the viewing of traditional viewing will trend down to 100%? That is indeed a ridiculous notion and you then use that argument to try to discredit me.

What I have said (you can go back and check for yourself) is that the viewing of these traditional channels will continue to fall until they are no longer profitable. The reason why profitability will suffer is that advertising revenues will fall to the extent that the commercial channels will no longer take sufficient revenue from their advertising sales.

I appreciate that you have a different take on this (ie that scheduled channels can operate on a shoestring), but with respect, I do not think that is the case. The existing minor channels that operate on very little revenue are showing material that is as cheap as chips. You can't compare them with the likes of ITV or the other relatively big hitters. I know the broadcasters will be paying for programmes to be shown on the streaming services, but they would have to pay more to show them on scheduled channels as well.

Add to that the fact that broadcasts will no longer make use of the transmitters in the future and Sky is likely to cease its use of satellites to broadcast its channels (in favour of IPTV), and the scene is set for the scenario I have painted. Contrary to your view, I am not passionate about seeing the end of the existing broadcast scheduled channels. I don't watch them live anyway, so why would I care? I am simply reporting what I can see happening and reading various projections and forecasts which lead me to the conclusions I have set out.

You are entitled to hold a different view, of course, as do some others, but you will find that you are adopting a more and more isolated position if you display this rigidity of thought in the years ahead.

NOTE: I have merely responded to your posts here, but can I point out that this subject is better aired on the linear channels thread.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 05-12-2019 at 11:33.
Old 05-12-2019, 14:57   #6920
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I can hardly be considered to be manufacturing your claim that scheduled linear television as we know it today will not exist in 2035. By that rationale, yes, the trend must go to 100% streaming/on demand viewing.
Old 05-12-2019, 17:50   #6921
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

I can hardly be considered to be manufacturing your claim that scheduled linear television as we know it today will not exist in 2035. By that rationale, yes, the trend must go to 100% streaming/on demand viewing.
Indeed, and nor did I suggest that.

It's your logic that is awry. I do not consider that audience levels have to reduce to 100% before the traditional scheduled channels close down as you have been claiming. The decision to close the traditional scheduled channels will come long before that. But, yes, when that happens, 100% of TV viewing will be streamed/on demand viewing because there will be no alternative.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:05   #6922
jfman
Architect of Ideas

The evidence is that linear broadcast television is cheap - over 250 odd channels many with very few viewers. You appear unable, perhaps deliberately, to differentiate between content costs (which exist anyway) and the marginal cost of adding scheduled linear to all other forms of distribution.
Old 06-12-2019, 17:52   #6923
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sky to create 2,000 jobs with new Elstree TV and film studio

https://www.theguardian.com/business...tv-film-studio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Not to want to encourage OB especially but they can distribute their content as effectively over IP as they can by satellite.

Whatever the future of broadcast TV, I think it's obvious to Sky that the days when they could more or less dictate the way the pay-TV market operates, by controlling the only nationwide distribution platform as well as rights to all the premium content, are over. If they're going to survive in a fragmented landscape with many distribution platforms and premium content spread thinly across them, then they need to find other ways of being distinctive. If they can produce quality content, that will help them no end.
This is simply Comcast expanding its empire as it transitions into a global "broadcaster" to take on Netflix. Lets see if the other American cos, namely Disney, ViacomCBS and AT&T so something similar here eventually.
Old 06-12-2019, 22:59   #6924
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Cough...:

"The prospect of Amazon mounting a major challenge to Sky and BT at the next multibillion pound Premier League rights auction has increased, after the streaming of 10 top-flight English matches attracted a record number of sign-ups to the retailer’s Prime service."

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...o-amazon-prime

No doubt some will still argue that Amazon or other streamers would never bid for premium sports rights, and they still might not, but after this, I bet they will. As I said several weeks ago, this is a test, Amazon dipping their toes in the water. If they do bid for UKTV rights in the future, then the next step after that, would be global ones as I said before.
Old 07-12-2019, 00:09   #6925
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Cough...:

"The prospect of Amazon mounting a major challenge to Sky and BT at the next multibillion pound Premier League rights auction has increased, after the streaming of 10 top-flight English matches attracted a record number of sign-ups to the retailer’s Prime service."

No doubt some will still argue that Amazon or other streamers would never bid for premium sports rights, and they still might not, but after this, I bet they will. As I said several weeks ago, this is a test, Amazon dipping their toes in the water. If they do bid for UKTV rights in the future, then the next step after that, would be global ones as I said before.
Most of the new subscribers will be using the free 30 day trial offer, which covers both rounds of Amazons rights - presumably some will retain their subs thru lethargy. But I suspect the vast majority will cancel after the footie coverage finishes - obviously the added bonus is the prime benefits in the runup to Christmas
Old 07-12-2019, 01:52   #6926
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Cough...:

No doubt some will still argue that Amazon or other streamers would never bid for premium sports rights,and they still might not, but after this, I bet they will. As I said several weeks ago, this is a test, Amazon dipping their toes in the water. If they do bid for UKTV rights in the future, then the next step after that, would be global ones as I said before.
Highlighting for the benefit of the audience the straw man.

There’re a world apart from Amazon and their bargain bucket rights, those that didn’t meet the reserve price in the first round, and going up against meaningful rights won by a Sky or BT.

December is a good month for Prime.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:33   #6927
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Highlighting for the benefit of the audience the straw man.

There’re a world apart from Amazon and their bargain bucket rights, those that didn’t meet the reserve price in the first round, and going up against meaningful rights won by a Sky or BT.

December is a good month for Prime.
Why can you not accept that this may have been a trial run for Amazon? Is this because your economic theory that Amazon would never seriously consider challenging Sky and BT for one or more of the main packages, and could never provide a football offering at a reduced cost, is starting to unravel before your eyes?

Your mind seems very closed to new ideas and fresh ways of doing things.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:57   #6928
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Why can you not accept that this may have been a trial run for Amazon? Is this because your economic theory that Amazon would never seriously consider challenging Sky and BT for one or more of the main packages, and could never provide a football offering at a reduced cost, is starting to unravel before your eyes?

Well we shall see if this is a trial run but my hunch is Amazon see these two lots of matches as more of a low cost way Pre-Christmas to attract Prime subscribers and there is a mighty difference between that and bidding all out for most of the packages which they won't as their business sums don't add up for that.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:06   #6929
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

So answer why have they not bid for NFL , NBA , MLB in the USA in any significant numbers.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:14   #6930
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
So answer why have they not bid for NFL , NBA , MLB in the USA in any significant numbers.
Who says they won't in future? Things change with time, mate.

People used to say that Virgin would never add Netflix to their platform because there would be no financial advantage to them. I think you were one of them, but forgive me if I misremembered that. Now we not only have Netflix, but we have Amazon and StarzPlay as well, with more to come down the road.

Nothing remains the same forever.
Closed Thread