Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are you reading?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What are you reading?

Old 17-07-2012, 19:51   #1006
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: What are you reading?

From what I have heard, I'm not sure that you'll "get" the fuss unless you're a woman.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-10-2012, 16:42   #1007
Caff
I'm a geek???

Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze
Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze

Finally finished Daphne Du Maurier's My Cousin Rachel'.
A (mebbe) happy ending for once. No - Bittersweet.
Old 16-10-2012, 18:03   #1008
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Reading Great North Road - Peter F. Hamilton

Just finished
Zero Point - Neal Asher
Man-Kzin Wars XIII - Larry Niven et al
Slow Apocalypse - John Varley
Redshirts - John Scalzi
The Apocalypse Codex - Charlie Stross
Oath of Fealty - Larry Niven
Whispers Underground (Rivers of London 3) - Ben Aaronovitch
The Long Earth - Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter
Caliban's War - James S.A. Corey
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 18:08   #1009
Caff
I'm a geek???

Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze
Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Reading Great North Road - Peter F. Hamilton

Just finished
Zero Point - Neal Asher
Man-Kzin Wars XIII - Larry Niven et al
Slow Apocalypse - John Varley
Redshirts - John Scalzi
The Apocalypse Codex - Charlie Stross
Oath of Fealty - Larry Niven
Whispers Underground (Rivers of London 3) - Ben Aaronovitch
The Long Earth - Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter
Caliban's War - James S.A. Corey
Good gracious! Do you scan-read? I read at the pace of speech and ponder the scenario. Snails go faster than me
Old 16-10-2012, 18:48   #1010
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

That is about a quarter of the books I have read in the last couple of months - the better ones.

I speed read, probably about two to three books a week - Great North Road is taking me a bit longer, as it is 1100 pages.....
Old 16-10-2012, 18:57   #1011
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
That is about a quarter of the books I have read in the last couple of months - the better ones.

I speed read, probably about two to three books a week - Great North Road is taking me a bit longer, as it is 1100 pages.....
what's the Long Earth like Hugh ?,i'm a disc world fan but i believe that is not one .I have started reading some of his non disc world novels like Nation and Dark side of the sun and the wife is getting me Dodger for my birthday
Old 16-10-2012, 19:44   #1012
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

It's enjoyable, but quite different from the Discworld novels.

I have Dodger to read next.
Old 16-10-2012, 19:47   #1013
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
It's enjoyable, but quite different from the Discworld novels.

I have Dodger to read next.
I read the synopsis and it sounds intriguing

I also found Nation good ,well worth a read
Old 16-10-2012, 20:23   #1014
sir_drinks_alot
Inactive

Services: WNYC
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age

the National Autistic Society Trustee's annual report and accounts
(director's report and financial statements)
year ended 31 march 2012

Just to i have a overview of all things that take place in the NAS
sir_drinks_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 20:34   #1015
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_drinks_alot View Post
the National Autistic Society Trustee's annual report and accounts
(director's report and financial statements)
year ended 31 march 2012

Just to i have a overview of all things that take place in the NAS
sounds intriguing, how does it end
Old 16-10-2012, 21:32   #1016
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Just finished December by Phil Rickman

and now about halfway through Starblood , by Carmilla Voiez
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 09:44   #1017
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
what's the Long Earth like Hugh ?,i'm a disc world fan but i believe that is not one .I have started reading some of his non disc world novels like Nation and Dark side of the sun and the wife is getting me Dodger for my birthday
A very different book to any of Terry's previous offerings and far more Stephen Baxter. Terry's influence is in the oddities and quirks of the story rather than the basic plot. - Keep your potato with you.

Dodger is a Dickensian Discworld with a brilliant central character. Dodger for me is a combination of Vime's street savvy, Carrot's chivalry, Nobby's light fingers and the intelligence of Vetinary.

Currently delving into the madness of Robert Rankin with The Mechanical Messiah and Other Marvels of the Modern Age.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 10:35   #1018
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

The last thing I read by Stephen Baxter was The Time Ships which was ok. Got Flood and Ark to read by him next.

Just finishing The Further Adventures of an Idiot Abroad.

I only eve read the first four discworld books - it just doesn't float my boat.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 13:20   #1019
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Just finished 'Friday Night Lights'. Great book. Now onto 'Lost at Sea' by Jon Ronson although this is a collection of articles some of which I have already read.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 20:49   #1020
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

I am currently reading "Heavens Shadow" : http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/023076031..._df_0230760317

In the last few months I have read:

Megacatastrophes!
Manhattan In Reverse
The burning soul
Death Message
Deadline
Live Wire
Dead Man's Grip
Dear Coca Cola
Zero Day
Book of Human skin
An Idiot Abroad