Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are you reading?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What are you reading?

Old 13-06-2008, 14:58   #466
KaySquirrel
Inactive

Services: I use BT blinkenlights now!
KaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these parts
Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
It's not - I'd give up now if I were you.

Dean Koontz used to be good (back in the days of 'Whispers' and 'Strangers') - now he just writes page filling rubbish (IMO)
Oh dear, that's what I was afraid of. I suffered through The Taking and wondered what happened there. The only thing that was missing from that one was the "and then she woke up and realized it had all been a dream!" at the end.

Homealone: How did you like the Kathy Reichs book?
KaySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-06-2008, 15:02   #467
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Peter Tremayne - Dancing with Demons.

Quote:
Synopsis
Sister Fidelma must investigate the murder of the High King himself and by doing so risk civil war, in Peter Tremayne's brilliant new novel in the popular series. When Sechnussach, High King of Ireland, is found dead in his bedchamber with his throat cut, all clues seem to suggest an all-too-obvious prime suspect. Dubh Duin, the chieftain of the clan Cinel Cairpre, was found with the murder weapon in his hand when the High King's guards entered the royal chamber, before taking his own life. The Chief Brehon of Ireland asks Sister Fidelma to investigate and find out what possible motives could have driven Dubh Duin to assassinate the High King. Her investigations reveals an intricate web of conspiracy and deception that threatens to unbalance the five kingdoms and send them spiralling into a violent and bloody civil war and religious conflict...From Amazon
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 15:15   #468
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaySquirrel View Post
Oh dear, that's what I was afraid of. I suffered through The Taking and wondered what happened there. The only thing that was missing from that one was the "and then she woke up and realized it had all been a dream!" at the end.
He's written very little recently that has been even remotely good (though to be fair I haven't read a lot of his stuff recently, because so much of it was rubbish).
The last one I read was 'The Husband' which was an enteraining read - but it could have been written by anyone - it had none of the typical Koontz style that made his books so good in 80's and early 90's.
I think he started to go down hill around the time that he wrote 'Seize the Night', that for me marked a down turn in quality, and an increase in quantity of pages
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 15:51   #469
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaySquirrel View Post

Homealone: How did you like the Kathy Reichs book?
I enjoyed it, I'm a big fan of the 'Bones' tv series & it was really interesting to read a book by the real person the character is based on.

It might not be everyone's 'cup of tea', but the attention to detail, especially concerning the characterisation of people, was very well done & it wasn't any where near as dry or clinical as I might of expected.

I'm on a bit of a Dan Brown kick, at the moment, having just finished Angels & Demons, Deception Point & The Da Vinci Code - on the lookout for Digital Fortress, now ...
Old 13-06-2008, 16:03   #470
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Cryptonomicon
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 20:18   #471
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

So - having listened to Ben Bova's MARS

I got hold of a series called 'Grand tour of the universe'

But rather than start it off (it's going to take a while) I was wondering if anyone has read this and if it's good?

---------- Post added at 20:18 ---------- Previous post was at 20:18 ----------

I'm in need of a really good sci fi (audio) book to read at the moment.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 20:19   #472
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Read? Who has time to read these days?
Old 26-06-2008, 20:19   #473
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Um - if there's one thing I have too much of, it's time
Old 26-06-2008, 20:20   #474
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson T View Post
Um - if there's one thing I have too much of, it's time
Old 26-06-2008, 20:21   #475
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

I wouldn't worry about it - I suspect when I move I'll be complaining I don't have enough time
Old 26-06-2008, 20:22   #476
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post

Still reading it.....
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 20:27   #477
homealone

I haven't started it yet, but I popped in the charity shop & got Dan Brown's 'Digital Fortress' the other day . I'm quite looking forward to it, as I was so surprised how different 'Deception Point' was to 'Angels & Demons' & 'The Da-Vinci Code.
Old 27-06-2008, 06:43   #478
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

I'm currently reading:

Synopsis
Since Victorian times, London's Underground has made an extraordinary contribution to the economy of the capital and has played a vital role in the daily life of generations of Londoners. This wide-ranging history of the Underground celebrates the vision and determination of the Victorian pioneers who conceived this revolutionary transport system and the men who tunnelled to make the Tube. From the early days of steam to electrification, via the Underground's contribution to twentieth-century industrial design and its role during two world wars, the story comes right up to the present with its sleek, driverless trains and the wrangles over the future of the system. The Subterranean Railway reveals London's hidden wonder and shows how the railway beneath the streets helped create the city we know today.
Old 02-07-2008, 15:04   #479
kangaroosterrier
Inactive

kangaroosterrier will become famous soon enoughkangaroosterrier will become famous soon enoughkangaroosterrier will become famous soon enough

The Mosquito Coast by Paul Theroux.

Only a few chapters in but I'm enjoying it. Never saw the movie so there's no knowing what to expect. Might rent it once I've finished the book.
kangaroosterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 15:24   #480
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroosterrier View Post
The Mosquito Coast by Paul Theroux.

Only a few chapters in but I'm enjoying it. Never saw the movie so there's no knowing what to expect. Might rent it once I've finished the book.
The film is great and well worth a watch with some great performances. Didn't even know this was from a book. Is it a true story ?

Reading The Brethren by John Grisham, seen loads of films based on his books but never read one until last year on hols that was left behind. This one is a great read too very easy to read and get into
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote