Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are you reading?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What are you reading?

Old 24-01-2008, 05:58   #451
Alien
Inactive

Services: VM Phone, V+, VM 10Mb
Alien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronze
Alien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronze
Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson T View Post
Good for you. Nice book.

Mind you it's been a fair few years since I read it.
Check your email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
A futurist Earth where religion is banned after it is blamed for the outbreak of WW3.
Now there's a policy that would get my vote!
Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-01-2008, 09:29   #452
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien View Post
Check your email.
Yup, saw that, cheers

edit - in fact I'm converting it to an audiobook right now
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 12:53   #453
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Android's Dream - John Scalzi
Orbital Decay - Allen Steele
The Difference Engine - William Gibson & Bruce Sterling
The Jennifer Morgue - Charles Stross
Fleet of Planets - Larry Niven
A Meeting at Corvallis - SM Stirling
Rainbows End -Vernon Vinge

and just re-read Guards Guards! by Terry Pratchett
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 19:03   #454
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

The Nature of Space and Time and The Theory of Everything. Hawking.

HHHmmm
Old 04-02-2008, 10:27   #455
shabbychic
Inactive

Services: anything, as long as you let me talk the hind legs of you
shabbychic will become famous soon enoughshabbychic will become famous soon enoughshabbychic will become famous soon enough

im currently reading "pathway to freedom" by dali llahma .... so funny
shabbychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 22:56   #456
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

After just finishing listening to Journey Into Space - Operation Luna and Journey Into Space - The Red Planet, I'm just about to make a start on Journey Into Space - The World in Peril.

Class - sheer class
Old 03-04-2008, 19:07   #457
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star
Question What book are you reading now

Hopefully this isnt a duplicate thread

I used to be an avid reader 2-3 a month but over the past 5-6 years it has dropped off to zero.
I have just started taking time away from the comp and other pastimes to start reading again so I thought I would start this thread to see if there's an intrest among the members for reading (other than CF and daily papers)

Anyway I'll start

The Cleaner, by Brett Battles.
Spent just over a week reading this fine first book by Brett Battles, intrigue, suspense and action spread over 3 continents see’s the main character Jonathan Quinn escape from being killed in his own home, fleeing to Ho Chi Min city and being chased out of town to spending freezing winter days uncovering why a member of the “office” was killed and why he was on a hit list.

Pretty good thriller that has gone a long way to get me back into reading, excellent descriptions got me totally immersed into the world of Jonathan Quinn.

Got this from Tesco 2 for £7.00
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 19:12   #458
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

I added your post the end of the correct thread

I am currently reading 'Rendevous with Rana' by the way
Old 12-05-2008, 23:56   #459
homealone

Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs

- who is the real person behind the 'Bones' persona played so nicely by Emily Deschanel in the TV series of the same name
Old 11-06-2008, 22:53   #460
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Whilst on my honeymoon I read "Skin Privilege" by Karin Slaughter.

Last in the series of the Jeffrey Tolliver books and the fist I read in the series so I guess I bummed out a little there. Anywho a bit of blurb.

-------------------------------
Lena Adams has spent her life struggling to escape her past. She has only unhappy memories of Reece, the small town which nearly destroyed her. She’s made a new life for herself as a police detective in Heartsdale, a hundred miles away - but nothing could prepare her for the violence which explodes when she is forced to return. A vicious murder leaves a young woman incinerated beyond recognition. And Lena is the only suspect.

When Heartsdale police chief Jeffrey Tolliver, Lena’s boss, receives word that his detective has been arrested, he has no choice but to go to Lena’s aid – taking with him his wife, medical examiner Sara Linton. But soon after their arrival, a second victim is found. The town closes ranks. And both Jeffrey and Sara find themselves entangled in a horrifying underground world of bigotry and rage –- a violent world which shocks even them. A world which puts their own lives in jeopardy. [/font]
--------------------

An excellent book which I had trouble putting down, even threatened to read it again just in case I missed anything.

As a stand alone its a great read, now knowing there are more books in the series I shall get these and read them in order.
gets a great 8.5\10 from me.

Another book, although not read but listened to (audio book) is Duma Key by the master Stephen King.
Written in the first person Edgar Freemantle is our guide through his recovery from a near death accident and the subsequent painting he drew while in recovery on the small "key" off Florida's coast called Duma.
If I were to liken this book to others of his then there is a touch of the Shining where the darkness seeps in through the persona's of his paintings.

King describes this as a cross between the Shining and the Maltese Falcon.
I found it very engaging, dark, thoughtful and in places sad.

After listening to the book I'm going to buy it for what i know will be a great read.
9\10
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 23:02   #461
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

I've read this a few times, Heartbreak and Triumphs by Shawn Michaels.

Michaels is a WWE superstar wrestler whose life was going off the rails, he was addicted to painkillers and suffered a career-ending back injury however he found Jesus and became born-again. The Lord healed his back (defying doctors' opinions) and got him past his addiction. The book is all about his life, career and family.

Possibly the best wrestling autobiography ever.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:40   #462
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

World War Z.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 09:59   #463
KaySquirrel
Inactive

Services: I use BT blinkenlights now!
KaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these parts

Just starting One Door Away From Heaven by Deen Koontz, and it better be good because the last book of his I read was a snoozefest!
KaySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 10:03   #464
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

reading Dragon by Clive Cussler feature Dirk Pitt.

It's completely OTT and far fecthed but it has great pace to it and is a good read if you just want to switch off and enjoy a good adventure
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 10:06   #465
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaySquirrel View Post
Just starting One Door Away From Heaven by Deen Koontz, and it better be good because the last book of his I read was a snoozefest!
It's not - I'd give up now if I were you.

Dean Koontz used to be good (back in the days of 'Whispers' and 'Strangers') - now he just writes page filling rubbish (IMO)
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote