Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT rent rights

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT rent rights

Old 01-03-2019, 10:39   #1
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Thumbs down ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT rent rights

Quote:
Rules aimed at preventing ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS from renting properties breach human rights laws, the High Court has ruled.

The "Right to Rent" scheme, which requires landlords to check the immigration status of tenants, was introduced in England in 2016.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47415383

What the merry hell are these judges on?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2019, 10:59   #2
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT rent rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post

Probably about £400k a year, most of which is seemingly spent on mind blowing drugs
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:26   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post

I don't see an issue with this. It's the government's responsibility to ensure that the immigration policy and procedures are managing who lives here.

Landlords are not and should not be immigration officials. However, if you do make landlords do an immigration check, then they have to do it for everyone they rent to, otherwise it is racial profiling and illegal.

And if you are a UK citizen without a passport, visa or other proof of residency, then how do you prove your right to rent?

Last edited by BenMcr; 01-03-2019 at 11:30.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:33   #4
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post

And if you are a UK citizen without a passport, visa or other proof of residency, then how do you prove your right to rent?
You'd probably have a Nat Ins number and checkable medical records . . . at a guess
Old 01-03-2019, 11:40   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
You'd probably have a Nat Ins number and checkable medical records . . . at a guess
That doesn't prove your current immigration status, just that at some point you qualified for an NI number and have been ill in the UK.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:42   #6
Carth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
That doesn't prove your current immigration status, just that at some point you qualified for an NI number and have been ill in the UK.
how do you get an NI number if you're an illegal immigrant?
Old 01-03-2019, 11:46   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
how do you get an NI number if you're an illegal immigrant?
Overstayed a valid visa? Child born in the UK of someone who did?

The issue with the law isn't about immigration law, it's about forcing landlords to do it and ending up them racially profiling people when they do.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:30   #8
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Overstayed a valid visa? Child born in the UK of someone who did?

The issue with the law isn't about immigration law, it's about forcing landlords to do it and ending up them racially profiling people when they do.
How on earth is it racially profiling anybody? It applies to everybody.

Should the alternative be that the prospective tenants have to be vetted and approved by the Home Office?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:53   #9
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
How on earth is it racially profiling anybody? It applies to everybody.

Should the alternative be that the prospective tenants have to be vetted and approved by the Home Office?
Why do you need an alternative? We got on fine without having to check the status of everybody wanting to rent.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 13:00   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

It does seem to look like the Government is trying to get, not just landlords, but employers, the NHS etc to do their job for them instead of taking action themselves.

Getting a NI number is relatively easy, in fact, there are more NI numbers in existence than there are living people in the UK.

If they cannot get one, one ruse that they use is to trawl historical death notices for children who died early in their lives. Once the child would have reached 16 years of age, the assume their identity and apply for a NI number. No morals whatsover.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 16:35   #11
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

The hostile environment policy isn't it? Turning all sorts of interactions with the state into a chance to be caught out. In theory it's fine but as well as giving the rest of us an extra step to many of our interactions and can also catch out people who don't have formal evidence of their right to remain as we found out with Windrush.

You need a universal national identity scheme if you're going to do stuff like this.
Old 01-03-2019, 16:38   #12
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The hostile environment policy isn't it? Turning all sorts of interactions with the state into a chance to be caught out. In theory it's fine but as well as giving the rest of us an extra step to many of our interactions and can also catch out people who don't have formal evidence of their right to remain as we found out with Windrush.

You need a universal national identity scheme if you're going to do stuff like this.

I don't like the idea of identity cards ,i know who i am and it's worked for me for the last 62 years.
Old 01-03-2019, 16:40   #13
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post

But they did plan that and then kicked it into touch.

---------- Post added at 16:40 ---------- Previous post was at 16:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
[/B]

I don't like the idea of identity cards ,i know who i am and it's worked for me for the last 62 years.
Sometimes we have consider the greater good papa rather then ourselves.
Old 01-03-2019, 16:43   #14
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
[/B]

You might know who you are, but your present enlightened state may not go on forever...
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 17:26   #15
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
[/B]

Fine but if it only contained the information of a passport? I.E No biometrics.

Or no ID card at all but then we should be more relaxed about how often we require proof of citizenship. But not formalising the concept/process whilst demanding it is going to cause problems for some people.