Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 21:19   #901
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainlime View Post
OK, so I've figured out that you're talking about the Dephormation plugin. I've installed it and visited those URLs you listed. Nothing happened. No warning.
Its happening to me when I goto the forum from the main premiumtv home website. However it is clean if you goto the forum link it bypasses the phorm script. Suggesting we may have a way to get round it on this website.

However The following website happens when I select a thread too.

Which makes me wonder is this being Region trialed if your not experiencing this.

ttp://s2.excoboard.com/exco/forum.php?forumid=45999&PHPSESSID=b60a74e78a460561 d9b75601093c8c4a
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2008, 21:21   #902
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Is this the alert you are getting?
http://www.dephormation.org.uk/images/phorm_alert.gif

Old 09-03-2008, 21:32   #903
none
Inactive

none is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Where do we send this and what do I have to do to send them the DPA notice. I have spoken on the phone but the person I spoke to kept saying she has no idea what I was on about, never heard anything about it.

I also requested in the news VM webwise feedback thread that none of my internet acces was to be used.
See my sig Florence, click the 'template' link to download the VM Phorm DPA Complaint.pdf (7.07 KB)

Address to send it to is already in it
Old 09-03-2008, 21:42   #904
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

none: did a template Data Protection Act Notice.
http://www.mediafire.com/?b00jbvjabdd
id be inclined to change it a little and add an 'i expressly forbid my person data be passed ,processed or exported to any Profiling electronic device' .

you send this letter by registered post (for legal reasons, and VM removed the electronic email notice from their T&C ,plus you then have proof should they try and deny getting notice) to your ISPs(or what ever company that has your data) data collector.
Old 09-03-2008, 21:45   #905
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I'm asking them not to process my data in any way that isn't required for providing my service. In doing this I'm asking them not to pass any info about my account to phorm - that's any info, not just personally identifiable info.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/acts1998...029_en_10#sch2
The DPA is about "personally identifiable" data, not "data ... that isn't required for providing my service". Someone suggested that an IP address might be construed as "personally identifiable" data, although this doesn't seem to have been tested in the courts. Anyway, the DPA states that such information can be held, but they have to get your permission first - an opt-out would probably fulfil that requirement.

To use an analogy, when you walk into Tesco there is a large monitor showing an image of you walking into the store. You don't have to sign anything to give Tesco permission to record this personally identifiable information (a picture of your face). You can opt-out by leaving the store.

Good link to the DPA, by the way.
Old 09-03-2008, 21:50   #906
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertle View Post
Thanks but whats activating the warning. Something during this click proscess is going to phorm or the program does not work.

I doubt that as this thing never screamed PHORM 2 days ago on the same site. Not a peep from the addon so why tonight. I willl check my router to see what happens.

If you check my other post found another forum which triggers the addon..
Okay...I have a theory (just a theory).
Maybe the websites that are triggering your alarm contain OIX ad-panels (there must be a few around in order that Phorm can conduct their "tests" on the BT guinea pigs) so perhaps the plug-in is detecting the Phorm script in those panels. Until the Phorm hardware goes live on the VM network, those panels won't work as intended when viewed over a VM connection, since there's no anonymous ID cookie on any of our machines yet. Unless, of course, VM are trialing it secretly, but that would be really stupid, since they haven't ammended our terms & conditions yet, so if they were discovered doing that, they'd be wide open to legal action. Now that this system has been announced, they really do have to tell us with that big splash screen the first time we go online after the system goes live, or they'd be handing opponents of the Phorm system their balls on a plate.
Old 09-03-2008, 21:56   #907
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

"Someone suggested that an IP address might be construed as "personally identifiable" data"

that would be me, and it was the head EU data commissioner that said your IP address is personal data, and he should know what he's talking about...

"I'm asking them not to process my data " implys his 'Personal data' and you need to be careful about your wording in the notice.

and remember its a Notice (were you instruct the data controller what they can or cant do with your personal data property),not a Complaint.

if you blankly remove their rights to process all your data then they cant then bill you for its use (Not a good idea),and so on.

removing the right to export (without qualification) would stop them exporting said data to the offshore customer care personel, and so on.

if you read your T&C contract you will see you give them the right to process your data for as long your under the contract, however you have the right to alter any personal data rights you might have given them (in the T&C)at any time, hence the DPA notice you send them to do as you instruct.
Old 09-03-2008, 21:58   #908
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb View Post
something like that bit more info turns out I think I found the culprit folks so be wary.

Picked up something very nasty which got our PHORM defender go bit crazy.

I found a cookie called this lurking.

PHPSESSID

got rid of it but is a nasty piece.
Old 09-03-2008, 22:02   #909
none
Inactive

none is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
none: did a template Data Protection Act Notice.
http://www.mediafire.com/?b00jbvjabdd
Just for the record, its not my good work, (sadly im not that articulate) it comes courtesy of www.badphorm.co.uk and the authors name is MGP - http://www.badphorm.co.uk/download.php?list.2

So full props must go to him (or her)
Old 09-03-2008, 22:08   #910
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertle View Post
something like that bit more info turns out I think I found the culprit folks so be wary.

Picked up something very nasty which got our PHORM defender go bit crazy.

I found a cookie called this lurking.

PHPSESSID

got rid of it but is a nasty piece.
Did you look at the content of PHPSESSID before you binned it? Have you reproduced it by re-visiting the site after clearing out your cookies? Do you have oix.net and www.webwise.net domains blocked? A bit more info would be much appreciated by those of us not yet getting this...

Update: Scrub the above- I've just realised PHPSESSID is the session cookie that you get when you visit www.phorm.com . I've just demonstrated this with a cookie clearout and quick visit to that URL.
Old 09-03-2008, 22:12   #911
mainlime
Inactive

mainlime is an unknown quantity at this point

PHPSESSID is the default cookie for maintaining session state in a PHP web application. It has precisely nothing to do with Phorm.

I think we're on a wild goose chase here.
Old 09-03-2008, 22:14   #912
PAYNEARDO
Inactive

Services: VM 100MB cable modem & Telephone. Vonage & sipgate VoIP phone lines Sky TV HD with multi-room
PAYNEARDO is on a distinguished roadPAYNEARDO is on a distinguished road

not sure if anybody else has posted this without going thru the whole thread

But anybody seen the BBC website a question and answer from phorm !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7283333.stm
Old 09-03-2008, 22:16   #913
lucevans
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainlime View Post
PHPSESSID is the default cookie for maintaining session state in a PHP web application. It has precisely nothing to do with Phorm.

I think we're on a wild goose chase here.
I think the paranoia is starting to take over... maybe it's time to switch off the PC and go for a walk...
Does anyone have a tinfoil hat smiley we could add to the list?
Old 09-03-2008, 22:20   #914
bigbadcol
Inactive

bigbadcol is on a distinguished roadbigbadcol is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=popper;34503639
removing the right to export (without qualification) would stop them exporting said data to the offshore customer care personal, and so on.[/QUOTE]

And thats a bad thing why?

Some years ago I was getting sales calls from the Indian call center of my bank, usually after 9pm. I asked several times for them to stop calling me, and was ignored.

Once I had issued a DPA notice not only did it stop, when I call CS and reach the usual offshore call center they quicky transfer me back to the UK.

By issuing the notice you do 2 things - Protect your personal data, and send a message to VM that you take your privacy rights seriously.
Old 09-03-2008, 22:33   #915
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevans View Post
I think the paranoia is starting to take over... maybe it's time to switch off the PC and go for a walk...
Does anyone have a tinfoil hat smiley we could add to the list?
Here you go...

Closed Thread