Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connecting A Windows Mobile 5 up to a wireless network?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

problem setting vergin broadband with linksys router

Old 01-01-2008, 17:47   #1
Hunniah
Inactive

Hunniah is an unknown quantity at this point
Question problem setting vergin broadband with linksys router

Hi I've been using Virgin broadband for over two years now, but since I had only one laptop back then i did not need the wireless router, but my sisters got her own laptop and we've been trying to connect them to the internet. I dunno how to do that. Do we need to set up both computers with the router seperately?

I tried to connect one of the computers to router (it's linksys wrt54gr v1.1) but i keep getting error. I'm stuck at the step where it asks you to choose your IP setting from Static IP to DHCL (I think) and also DSL. I dunno which one to choose? Please help..

Thanks in advance!!
Hunniah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2008, 18:37   #2
Axegrinder
Inactive

Services: Virgin BB M 10Mb Freeview
Axegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really nice
Re: problem setting vergin broadband with linksys router

You want DHCP auto configuration, that way the router acts as a DHCP server giving out IP addresses to machines, static IP is where you have to manually enter IP adresses for machines.

Hope that helps.
Axegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 20:15   #3
Hunniah
Inactive

Oh so that means I don't have to change anything and let the CD ROM do it's thing?
Old 01-01-2008, 21:02   #4
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axegrinder View Post
You want DHCP auto configuration, that way the router acts as a DHCP server giving out IP addresses to machines, static IP is where you have to manually enter IP adresses for machines.

Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunniah View Post
Oh so that means I don't have to change anything and let the CD ROM do it's thing?
no, that isn't so

In fact you are probably best avoiding the CD if it keeps confusing the issue, in my opinion

You need to log into the internal router control panel with just the cable modem, router & your pc connected via ethernet cable

http://192.168.1.1

Should get you to that page, user name & password is 'admin'

Then the options you need are 'obtain an IP address automatically' & 'DHCP server 'enable' ' - then make sure the options are saved then turn it all off & reboot the modem first, then the router, then the pc - allow at least 30 seconds between initialising each - and it 'should' work.

Then sort out the wireless stuff, which I can't help with , sorry
Old 03-01-2008, 19:13   #5
Hunniah
Inactive

Hi ya thank you so much! I did exactly what you said and it worked, both laptops were working just fine yesterday but today for some reason my sister's laptop's is not connecting to the internet wirelessly.. it can't even detect the linksys wireless network!! The Wlan button is on and router is working fine, my laptop is working alright but my sisters laptop only connects to linksys if I use enthernet cable, what could be the problem?? I tried turning everything off and then turning on after a minute like you said still no luck. Also when I disconnected my laptop from linksys router and reconnected it said something like error the IP address is already in use by another computer (my sister's laptop is connected with ethernet wire). Could this be the problem? Please help I'm going crazy thank you so much in advance!!
Old 03-01-2008, 19:23   #6
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Hi ya thank you so much! I did exactly what you said and it worked, both laptops were working just fine yesterday but today for some reason my sister's laptop's is not connecting to the internet wirelessly.. it can't even detect the linksys wireless network!! The Wlan button is on and router is working fine, my laptop is working alright but my sisters laptop only connects to linksys if I use enthernet cable, what could be the problem?? I tried turning everything off and then turning on after a minute like you said still no luck. Also when I disconnected my laptop from linksys router and reconnected it said something like error the IP address is already in use by another computer (my sister's laptop is connected with ethernet wire). Could this be the problem? Please help I'm going crazy thank you so much in advance!!
some laptops need the wireless activating..try fn-f2 or fn-f4
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 20:05   #7
Hunniah
Inactive

I know, my sisters laptop has switch button for that and it's on. On her laptop F2 is for mute, and f3 and f4 is audio level.

---------- Post added at 20:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:31 ----------

Oh it's working now yay!
Old 03-01-2008, 20:37   #8
homealone

Quote:
I know, my sisters laptop has switch button for that and it's on. On her laptop F2 is for mute, and f3 and f4 is audio level.

Oh it's working now yay!

Good - glad you got it all working
Old 03-01-2008, 21:04   #9
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Oh it's working now yay!
My cousins laptop wouldn't connect to their wireless network dispute the right security key being put in.

Turns out there was a switch on the front of the laptop and the wi-fi was turned off
Walked up to it, switched the switch and voilla working.... Then I had to sit there and install the antivirus/firewall
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 21:34   #10
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

don't forget that you really ought to have some security on your wifi network.........
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 22:18   #11
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

you need to get the thing working BEFORE you worry about turning on any security though....

turning on security options from the start course for more problems than you might expect if your not sure what your doing.

also its far better for wireless throughput to move all your security to the wired WAN side master machine, but we are talking advanced stuff here and even i get lost there sometimes.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote