Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Elton John - Your top 10

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > General Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Kinks - Live at Kelvin Hall!!

Old 05-01-2023, 02:28   #1
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Thumbs up

This concert kicks ass!!

I looked up the copy I got today it said 1986!!

I cant believe it sounds so good for 1986 but what I cant believe even more is ITS MONO!!

I dont know many records after 1969 that are mono.... (I prefer mono)

I love how alive people were then.... They cheered and roared thru the whole song!!

I have some Beatles concerts also that the crowd is quite active all thru!!

If this 1986 one sounds this good,I gotta get the original mono release!!

I think The kinks were the BEST they ever were in the 60s!!

I have several records and all are mono

It IS strange though..... On my copy ON THE RECORD,it says "All day and all of the night" is the first one.... That song isnt on this concert anywhere!! (I paid $20)

Quite strange......
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2023, 10:06   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: The Kinks - Live at Kelvin Hall!!

It is in mono because it was originally recorded in 1967…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 11:07   #3
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
This concert kicks ass!!

I looked up the copy I got today it said 1986!!

I cant believe it sounds so good for 1986 but what I cant believe even more is ITS MONO!!

I dont know many records after 1969 that are mono.... (I prefer mono)

I love how alive people were then.... They cheered and roared thru the whole song!!

I have some Beatles concerts also that the crowd is quite active all thru!!

If this 1986 one sounds this good,I gotta get the original mono release!!

I think The kinks were the BEST they ever were in the 60s!!

I have several records and all are mono

It IS strange though..... On my copy ON THE RECORD,it says "All day and all of the night" is the first one.... That song isnt on this concert anywhere!! (I paid $20)

Quite strange......

Why do you prefer mono? We have 2 ears natural is stereo. You get none of the sound stage with mono.
Old 05-01-2023, 11:54   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Why do you prefer mono? We have 2 ears natural is stereo. You get none of the sound stage with mono.
Our Dude is a bit of a retro fanatic. He likes his 8-tracks, cassettes, Windows 98, CRT TVs, VHS tapes, you name it.

Although early stereo is a strange beast because at first sound engineers lacked the experience to use it subtly, so when you listen to early stereo recordings you’ll find vocals way off one side of the image and various instruments sounding like they’re in very specific locations. I find listening to some Beatles stuff in the car quite jarring for that reason. These days it is used skilfully to create complex, natural soundscapes so you’re hearing stereo without being conscious of it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 00:48   #5
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
I wonder if thats why they left it mono Chris? (Maybe the stereo version doesnt sound good)
Old 06-01-2023, 10:06   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I wonder if thats why they left it mono Chris? (Maybe the stereo version doesnt sound good)
It’s worth reading the brief history of the original recording and release of the album at Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_Kelvin_Hall

The concert was recorded to a 4-track master tape and the original 33.3 RPM LP vinyl record is indeed in stereo, although it is notably poor even allowing for the nascent state of the art at the time. They tried to fix it by recording extra material in the studio afterwards and adding extra audience noise but only managed to make it worse, in the sense that it became a ‘live’ album that actually wasn’t quite live at all.

A mono mix was included when it was reissued on CD in 1998 but the article doesn’t state whether a mono mix existed earlier than that. Presumably it did, if you have a copy dated 1986. Unless of course yours is pirated.
Old 06-01-2023, 12:28   #7
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Ahh, Kelvin Hall. A place I've visited many times. Never known concerts there but, if it was way back in the 60s the SEC and other venues probably didn't exist then.
Old 06-01-2023, 12:57   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Ahh, Kelvin Hall. A place I've visited many times. Never known concerts there but, if it was way back in the 60s the SEC and other venues probably didn't exist then.
They certainly didn’t - the SECC opened in 1985 on the site of a filled-in dock. Kelvin Hall seemed to fall out of favour after that and reinvented itself as an indoor athletics arena and home of the transport museum. They’ve extended their sports offering now the transport museum has moved to Riverside.
Old 08-01-2023, 21:09   #9
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Im curious... Is Kelvin Hall still about?

I know many in NYC are not anymore (Fillmore east is gone (I THINK))

Yup mine is a legit Germany press from 1986 Chris

www.discogs.com/release/5988161
Old 08-01-2023, 21:12   #10
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Yes, it is…
Old 08-01-2023, 22:30   #11
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Yes it 8s. Has been used as an athletic arena, TV studios, Transport Museum among other things in recent years.

https://kelvinhall.org.uk/glasgow-mu...-hall-history/
Old 10-01-2023, 13:21   #12
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss
Why do you prefer mono?
Just a more together sound. Everything is in 1 place..... Sounds nicer often.....
Old 10-01-2023, 14:24   #13
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Nothing sounds nicer in Mono. It just sound plain and like you are listening to AM radio through a sponge.

A nice wide sound space separating the vocals and instruments makes the music feel more alive.
Old 10-01-2023, 16:42   #14
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Just a more together sound. Everything is in 1 place..... Sounds nicer often.....
Unless one is deaf in one ear, we naturally hear in stereo.
Old 10-01-2023, 22:44   #15
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Well I guess we all like different things