Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Easy/cheap shared drive

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Easy/cheap shared drive

Old 16-12-2019, 12:47   #1
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute
Easy/cheap shared drive

Hi,

I have movies stored on my PC that I would like to access from my TV without the PC having to be on. I know I can use a NAS and transfer the files to that but is there a cheaper solution? Could I connect a harddrive to my router? (Well, another router as my VM hub does not have a USB port).

Basically I want to write stuff to a drive and stream to my TV without the need for the PC being on, or having to disconnect and reconnect a drive from PC to TV.
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-12-2019, 12:55   #2
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Easy/cheap shared drive

Depends on how much data you're intending to use at any given time.
For less than £15, you could get a 128Gb USB stick. Upload using PC, plug into TV.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 12:57   #3
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Depends on how much data you're intending to use at any given time.
For less than £15, you could get a 128Gb USB stick. Upload using PC, plug into TV.
Not really what I'm after. Like I said, I don't want something I have to connect/disconnect. I already have a 2TB external drive, was wondering if there was a way to connect to router.
Old 16-12-2019, 13:26   #4
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

My Router (Netgear R7000) has USB ports and you then set it up to offer network shares. I sure other routers offer similar.
Old 16-12-2019, 14:32   #5
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
My Router (Netgear R7000) has USB ports and you then set it up to offer network shares. I sure other routers offer similar.
I was thinking of going that route(r). Would I be right in thinking that I could turn the VM router onto MODEM mode and connect another router with a USB port? Shame I can't just ditch the VM router, but apparently, it's the only was to get an internet connection. Do you think I'd be able to stream 4K movies to my TV with this setup?
Old 16-12-2019, 16:22   #6
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 View Post
I was thinking of going that route(r). Would I be right in thinking that I could turn the VM router onto MODEM mode and connect another router with a USB port? Shame I can't just ditch the VM router, but apparently, it's the only was to get an internet connection. Do you think I'd be able to stream 4K movies to my TV with this setup?
You would need to use an Ethernet cable from the wan port of your new router into the virgin router.

An old Asus RTAC66-U will do the job perfectly well, has a USB port plug a drive in and can be configured as a DLNA server.

Streaming 4k mainly depends on the connection speed and strength of the link between your TV and the router. Ideally you want 50mbps between router and TV if using wireless
Old 17-12-2019, 09:51   #7
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

To keep the kids occupied on long card journeys, I use a travel router and a portable hard drive to feed movies to the kids tablets. The router I use is discontinued but works as a DLNA server which can be picked up by many media players once connected to that wifi network.

Something like this would work if you want a truly portable solution;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VBAE5..._5yj-DbTWNV992

Very useful when travelling too if hotel Wifi is slow or you pay per device as you can connect wired and it acts as a wifi bridge
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote