Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | WiFi what speeds should I expect?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

WiFi what speeds should I expect?

Old 02-04-2019, 12:03   #1
The Yank
Inactive

Services: VIP(300BB) 2xV6 Boxes
The Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really nice
WiFi what speeds should I expect?

Hi,
I'm not technical so be gentle with me please LOL

My incoming speed is meant to be 360MBPS (I usually get 384).
I hadn't noticed how slow my WiFi is till I had several complaints from visitors yesterday. I have been doing constant checks since.
Sitting at my desk just 2 feet from the SH3 I get the following:
on mobile (android) I get between 20 and 30 MBPS
on my laptop (wireless) I get between 30 and 50 MBPS
****note when I paid for 200MBPS I usually got about 78MBPS WiFi***

upstairs in my bedroom using the Powerline WiFi extender supplied by VM I only get between 2 and 3 MBPS which is ludicrous.

I tried ringing VM but keep speaking to people whose accents I cannot understand (not their fault). I think on one occasion I was told they can't promise a WiFi speed which I understand but I cannot believe mine is so low.
another person suggested the powerline adapter was causing the issue and had me reset both ends. That had no effect.
I haven't gone back to them yet but thought I would see what you think on this forum. Could it be as simple as a faulty Hub?

Thanks in advance.
The Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2019, 13:51   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: WiFi what speeds should I expect?

Have you tried a speed test with something that has a wired connection to the Hub?

That will let you know what speed is coming into the premise.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 14:03   #3
The Yank
Inactive

The Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Have you tried a speed test with something that has a wired connection to the Hub?

That will let you know what speed is coming into the premise.
yes - as stated above my pc is ethernet connected and I regularly get about 384mbps using speedtest.net's desktop app.
Old 02-04-2019, 15:43   #4
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Services: Ultimate Oomph.
Topgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to all

Have you tried re-booting the hub? Sometimes something as simple as that can solve a problem.
Topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 15:53   #5
The Yank
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun View Post
Have you tried re-booting the hub? Sometimes something as simple as that can solve a problem.
if only it were that simple

I've been with VM 20 years so that is one trick I learned along time ago LOL,
Old 02-04-2019, 15:54   #6
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Services: Ultimate Oomph.
Topgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yank View Post
if only it were that simple

I've been with VM 20 years so that is one trick I learned along time ago LOL,
Sorry for stating the bleeding obvious, but you never know!!!
Topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 16:06   #7
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Have you tried seperating out the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz channels (i.e. rename them with unique ssid's) which I think by default are combined and can by all accounts cause wifi speed issues when working in auto allocation mode.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 16:24   #8
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

It could easily be your wifi devices that are not capable of that speed so are the bottle neck, for example i could only get around 80mbit on my LG G3 android phone and Nexus 10 tablet but as soon as i purchased more modern devices such as a Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Tab S2 and a Samsung Tab A, i was able to max my connection speed out a 220mbit.
Old 02-04-2019, 16:46   #9
The Yank
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
It could easily be your wifi devices that are not capable of that speed so are the bottle neck, for example i could only get around 80mbit on my LG G3 android phone and Nexus 10 tablet but as soon as i purchased more modern devices such as a Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Tab S2 and a Samsung Tab A, i was able to max my connection speed out a 220mbit.
wow - I'd die for wifi speeds like that (not literally LOL)

my son checked on his IPHONE which knowing him is the latest.

I tried on my HP Pavilion laptop wirelessly and still couldn't get over 50mbps.

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
Have you tried seperating out the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz channels (i.e. rename them with unique ssid's) which I think by default are combined and can by all accounts cause wifi speed issues when working in auto allocation mode.
I don't feel comy with that but will see if I can get my son to remote in.

---------- Post added at 15:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun View Post
Sorry for stating the bleeding obvious, but you never know!!!
was a good suggestion - as you say you never know. so thx
Old 02-04-2019, 18:26   #10
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

Try connecting to a different server in the speedtest. I've just done a speedtest on my mobile on a server 3 miles away from me and only got 12Mbps down (yes 12Mbps), I changed it to a server in Manchester 80 miles away and hit 190Mbps.
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 22:48   #11
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Id log into the hub and check 5ghz is enabled and smart wifi is disabled. When you do that you can check the channel width is set to 20/40/80
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote