Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Price rises this year.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Price rises this year.

Old 25-02-2023, 05:06   #301
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Re: Price rises this year.

I had an email telling me my package is increasing by £6.0, and that is for 50 BB, no tv or landline
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-02-2023, 10:16   #302
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Had another look at my contract, I missed a bit that links to a page on VM for "generic" terms and conditions, and that bit it links to includes a clause of VM been able to opt out of the price, but also the entire contract. It does state though as was said a penalty free exit can happen, so if I do get the price rise email, I will be haggling for it to be discounted like others have done.
Or search around for another provider as you will be subject to an Retail Price Index (RPI) rate of inflation, plus an added 3.9% next year, perhaps you might be able to negotiate a discount and a Zero price increase for the duration of your new contract, worth a try

Bare in mind that any future price increase is based on the list price of your package rather than the discounted price you negotiated.
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 10:23   #303
crossbow1956
cf.member

crossbow1956 is an unknown quantity at this point

looks like all ISP are doing the same linking there price rise to RPI + 3.9 % or there about with no ( RTC ) in T&Cs . no point in shopping around just hope virgin media will give people a good deal after all it is a good service for the most part . i will stay with them
until my end date of my contract & see what offers thay give me ?
crossbow1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 10:26   #304
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbow1956 View Post
looks like all ISP are doing the same linking there price rise to RPI + 3.9 % or there about with no ( RTC ) in T&Cs . no point in shopping around just hope virgin media will give people a good deal after all it is a good service for the most part . i will stay with them
until my end date of my contract & see what offers thay give me ?
Most other suppliers are using CPI rather than RPI and CPI is normaly a lot lower.
Old 25-02-2023, 10:32   #305
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter729 View Post
Most other suppliers are using CPI rather than RPI and CPI is normaly a lot lower.
Does anyone know how list prices compare between providers? Are VM's bigger than BT's for example?

A bigger % increase on an already bigger list price would be pretty insulting to customers in a cost of living crisis.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 11:06   #306
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
Does anyone know how list prices compare between providers? Are VM's bigger than BT's for example?

A bigger % increase on an already bigger list price would be pretty insulting to customers in a cost of living crisis.
They are in it to make as much as they can. Nothing else. Direct debits and customer apathy are gold dust to these companies.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 11:34   #307
Peter729
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
They are in it to make as much as they can. Nothing else. Direct debits and customer apathy are gold dust to these companies.
I agree, VM can change their list prices whenever they want and that has 2 effects

1. It increases the amount they receive from their RPI + 3.9%
2. People think they have secured a good deal as the list price is heavily
discounted.

The down side is VMs (list\discounted) price in relationship to its competitors in the same market place.

caveat emptor
Old 25-02-2023, 11:38   #308
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I agree, you have to play them at their own game - I've never paid 'full price', but I know people who do through apathy.

The way I see it is I can't control how VM (or any other company) sets their pricing, but I can decide who I spend my money with. There are no alt-nets in my area and getting an Openreach line installed is a challenge for me as the previous owner built a porch on top of the line and my drive is block paved, so the underground cable can't easily be accessed. Sky previously told me none of this would be a problem and they'd arrange for a pre-install visit, though I still think this could cause hassle and have the potential to go wrong.

So, my approach when I get my email will be:

1. Try to renegotiate with VM, with a requirement for:
a) a fixed price for the duration of the minimum term, or...
b) max 12 month minimum term.
2. Try Three's 4G home broadband.
3. Try an Openreach-based provider for install.

We'll see what happens!
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 11:44   #309
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of society

I have Toob outside the house, 0.9G for £25 a month.Vm wants £42 for 250M.
I will another go on Monday
Ms NTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 11:48   #310
Peter729
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NTL View Post
I have Toob outside the house, 0.9G for £25 a month.Vm wants £42 for 250M.
I will another go on Monday
Toob is one hell of a deal https://www.toob.co.uk/

These providers are out there but you have to do a bit of digging to find them.
Old 25-02-2023, 12:01   #311
crossbow1956
cf.member

crossbow1956 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well Talk Talk EE & other big ISP are using RPI i have had a look around but at the end of the day it is up to the customer . for me it is virgin media the devil you know than the devil you don't know .
crossbow1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 12:55   #312
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbow1956 View Post
Well Talk Talk EE & other big ISP are using RPI i have had a look around but at the end of the day it is up to the customer . for me it is virgin media the devil you know than the devil you don't know .
Only Virgin and O2 using RPI according to USwitch

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/gu...t-price-rises/

The difference is significant. Consumer Price Index (CPI): 10.5% in January 2023
Retail Price Index (RPI): 13.4% in January 2023

I’d love an explanation from VMO2 as to why they alone are using RPI which was discredited years ago as an inflation metric
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 17:46   #313
Peter729
cf.addict

http://https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/02/a-quick-look-at-the-changing-growth-of-uk-full-fibre-altnets.html

I didn’t realise there were so many “AltNets” in the UK!

Last edited by Peter729; 25-02-2023 at 17:49.
Old 25-02-2023, 17:53   #314
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter729 View Post
I’d not bother learning them all. Most of them will go to the wall soon.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 22:00   #315
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Some of the altnets also offer price guarantees to avoid mid-contract price rises. Youfiber are building here and I'll be jumping to them from EE as even with an early termination fee £1 a month for 3 months will more than pay for it, then £29 a month for the rest of the 2 year contract sure beats out the monster price increase EE want to slap on me.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote