Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 27-09-2018, 14:31   #1486
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Brexit Discussion (Follow First Post Rules!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
For the hard of thinking, to serve as PM or a minister they have to be elected members of parliament, elected by their constituents.

They are not “appointed” to parliament.

EU commissioners are appointed not elected.

You do understand the difference?

Also as opposed to say, the US presidential elections where you vote for an actual individual.

In the UK you vote for a party. The party then decides who their leader is, and therefore who the PM is.

You are also voting on a party manifesto, it shouldn’t really matter who delivers as PM on that manifesto as long as it delivered.

If the party itself decides that the leader is not doing a good job, they can replace him.

So there you have two mechanisms where by you can remove a government or the government can replace a leader.

Which is two more than you get with an EU commissioner
Less of the patronising tripe please.

You hate the EU, I do not. You will never convince me that leaving the EU based on the agenda of moving to a right wing, low tax, low regulated free market paradise is the right thing to do.
Old 27-09-2018, 15:35   #1487
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Are you saying that Rees-Mogg made this up? We're in danger of agreeing!
I don't know where the 97 years came from. In any case, what he said, according to the Guardian at least, was that it would take 50 years before the full economic benefit was felt.

Between 2020 and 2025, we would be many billions of pounds better off.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...t-will-pay-off

By 2025

By the mid-2020s, we should see “a post-Brexit dividend of £135bn just between 2020 and 2025, with a further £40bn a year from then on”, according to Rees-Mogg, who was quoting figures from the pro-Brexit group Economists for Free Trade.
Old 27-09-2018, 15:41   #1488
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don't know where the 97 years came from. In any case, what he said, according to the Guardian at least, was that it would take 50 years before the full economic benefit was felt.

By 2025

By the mid-2020s, we should see “a post-Brexit dividend of £135bn just between 2020 and 2025, with a further £40bn a year from then on”, according to Rees-Mogg, who was quoting figures from the pro-Brexit group Economists for Free Trade.
I may not have that long..
Old 27-09-2018, 16:01   #1489
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:

By 2025

Comedy contradiction OB

When you like the predictions, it is going to happen:

Quote:
but when when you don't, it isn't:

Quote:
I think these forecasters are simply making it up as they go along.
Old 27-09-2018, 16:35   #1490
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post

You hate the EU, I do not. You will never convince me that leaving the EU based on the agenda of moving to a right wing, low tax, low regulated free market paradise is the right thing to do.
Go on. Attack Pierre when you cannot counter the facts that he set out.

He doesn’t have to hate the EU to be correct in his facts.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 27-09-2018, 17:23   #1491
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

By 2025

I will assume I am on ignore, but just in case.

The 97 years was the age the poster would be by the time Rees-Mogg's 50 year claim for post Brexit prosperity would be fully felt
Old 27-09-2018, 17:30   #1492
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Go on. Attack Pierre when you cannot counter the facts that he set out.

He doesn’t have to hate the EU to be correct in his facts.

"For the hard of thinking" was provocative and undermined the quality of debate.
Old 27-09-2018, 17:38   #1493
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
"For the hard of thinking" was provocative and undermined the quality of debate.
You need to allow linguistic latitude and be less up-tight. Pierre's post was full of true information and all you're worried about is "hards of thinking". Rather proves the point.

Brexit is about sovereignty and getting away from schemes dreamt up by the Commission that reduce our sovereignty. Any dispute about that invites a "hard of thinking" suggestion. You can always refute that with counter-argument.

Old 27-09-2018, 18:05   #1494
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Comedy contradiction OB

When you like the predictions, it is going to happen:

but when when you don't, it isn't:
Strange comment. I was just correcting a previous post. I didn't say that I believed Rees-Mogg's prediction, or any other prediction.

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
I will assume I am on ignore, but just in case.

The 97 years was the age the poster would be by the time Rees-Mogg's 50 year claim for post Brexit prosperity would be fully felt
Thank you for clarifying where the 97 years came from!
Old 27-09-2018, 20:22   #1495
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

I don’t hate the EU, where have I ever said that? I have said many times Since the vote that I voted remain, because I did.

But now, what 2 years on?, I have fully come to terms with the result, and fully got on board.

It would have been easier to stay in and sail the the river Rio Status Quo, but a different path has been chosen and it will work if we look forward and not back.

We are leaving the EU.....it is law........regardless of whatever deal or no deal, that is irrelevant. Giving parliament a vote on whether they like the the deal is irrelevant.

That’s why all the current debate around it pointless. We are leaving to not do so would be unlawful, so we better get used to it........

Last edited by Pierre; 27-09-2018 at 20:27.
Old 27-09-2018, 22:40   #1496
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Seems some Brexiteers would be happy to renege on the NHS bus idea all together. Suggesting letting American firms run NHS hospitals.
Old 28-09-2018, 01:16   #1497
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Seems some Brexiteers would be happy to renege on the NHS bus idea all together. Suggesting letting American firms run NHS hospitals.
so only ones with a credit card get seen to no thanks
Old 28-09-2018, 07:13   #1498
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

British Businesses seem very unprepared for a no deal Brexit. No doubt people will whinge about scare mongering, but many SMEs have little capacity to plan for Brexit and government seem to have their heads in the sand over this.
Old 28-09-2018, 07:42   #1499
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
British Businesses seem very unprepared for a no deal Brexit. No doubt people will whinge about scare mongering, but many SMEs have little capacity to plan for Brexit and government seem to have their heads in the sand over this.
It won't be the first time that governments have introduced laws that don't give businesses much time to comply.

Not satisfactory, but they'll cope.
Old 28-09-2018, 08:31   #1500
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

The important thing here is to get over the line and leave the EU. Transitional arrangements: fine. Chequers - if the EU agreed to it, very reluctantly fine provided it doesn't lock us into anything permanent; we can always change things later.

Just let's leave the EU behind - get away from German hegemony, French self-protection, ever closer union and all the baggage associated with the EU.

Closed Thread