Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 22-12-2018, 20:58   #5566
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

I won't get over-involved in historic situations as I prefer to look forwards, not backwards. But just taking Pierre's first point. Nigel Farage was claiming as recently as 2017 that there would be no divorce bill. We now know that that is false. As an MEP, if he didn't know this then I suspect many others didn't either. And who can forget it taking a Brexit Secretary some two years to understand the importance of the Calais-Dover crossing for UK trade?
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b09e5f6cce7a5b

Last edited by 1andrew1; 22-12-2018 at 21:03.
Advertisement
Old 22-12-2018, 21:45   #5567
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I won't get over-involved in historic situations as I prefer to look forwards, not backwards. But just taking Pierre's first point. Nigel Farage was claiming as recently as 2017 that there would be no divorce bill. We now know that that is false. As an MEP, if he didn't know this then I suspect many others didn't either.
I get a bit fuzzy about the whole....time being linear...thing.

But as I recall, July 2017, was after all the months in 2016........

It was stated in all literature that U.K. would have to pay into the EU for any future relationship.....

That said.. I concede, there appears to be no mention of a “divorce bill” with the EU, I would argue it’s semantics, but l’ll concede when I have to, on that one point.
Old 22-12-2018, 21:49   #5568
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
I won't get over-involved in historic situations as I prefer to look forwards, not backwards. But just taking Pierre's first point. Nigel Farage was claiming as recently as 2017 that there would be no divorce bill. We now know that that is false. As an MEP, if he didn't know this then I suspect many others didn't either. And who can forget it taking a Brexit Secretary some two years to understand the importance of the Calais-Dover crossing for UK trade?
The basis of the EU claiming a "divorce" bill was we had previously agreed a 5 year budget. If that is the case then if the budget had been set for 20 years, would we be liable for another 15 years on top. That would be just silly.

How could we really disagree with anything in that budget? It's not really allowed to disagree with Germany/France. There is nothing in the budgets than set out who is going to provide what money. That is in separate rules which are linked to being a member of the EU. The budgets specify money that would come back to the UK, but now it won't. For those reasons alone there is no real legal basis for most of the "divorce" bill.

All sorts of things create delays with the Dover-Calais crossing. EG weather, strikes, problems with the Eurotunnel. Everything carries on. It won't be a total blockade of any sort. Any delays in lorries for the continent getting into the UK, will be doubled when they return. That will create a lack of available lorries in the EU as they will be held up in the UK. It will add 1 or 2 days to each return journey. Similar to a bad weather situation.
Old 22-12-2018, 23:02   #5569
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The basis of the EU claiming a "divorce" bill was we had previously agreed a 5 year budget. If that is the case then if the budget had been set for 20 years, would we be liable for another 15 years on top. That would be just silly.

How could we really disagree with anything in that budget? It's not really allowed to disagree with Germany/France. There is nothing in the budgets than set out who is going to provide what money. That is in separate rules which are linked to being a member of the EU. The budgets specify money that would come back to the UK, but now it won't. For those reasons alone there is no real legal basis for most of the "divorce" bill.

All sorts of things create delays with the Dover-Calais crossing. EG weather, strikes, problems with the Eurotunnel. Everything carries on. It won't be a total blockade of any sort. Any delays in lorries for the continent getting into the UK, will be doubled when they return. That will create a lack of available lorries in the EU as they will be held up in the UK. It will add 1 or 2 days to each return journey. Similar to a bad weather situation.
The exam question was: What do we know now that we didn't know in June 2016. A Brexit Secretary has fessed up that he didn't get the importance of Dover-Calais until recently and we now know that despite their denials until recently, there will be a divorce bill. The article I linked to listed some 100 other things.

How significant the above two issues are is a separate question entirely which doubtless people will have different views depending on their viewpoints and knowledge.
Old 22-12-2018, 23:36   #5570
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
The exam question was: What do we know now that we didn't know in June 2016. A Brexit Secretary has fessed up that he didn't get the importance of Dover-Calais until recently and we now know that despite their denials until recently, there will be a divorce bill. The article I linked to listed some 100 other things.

How significant the above two issues are is a separate question entirely which doubtless people will have different views depending on their viewpoints and knowledge.
So where was the basis for the "divorce" bill set out before the vote? It's just a relatively made up number. with no basis in law. The agreement to a "divorce" bill was just made to try and smooth over an agreement with the EU. It is usual to set out the costs of ending an agreement when the agreement is started.

What was or wasn't known in June 2016, couldn't possibly have been known beforehand, as it depends on what, if any, agreement can be made with the EU. The rest of the EU will also have problems, but they are under the impression that we will give in to any, and all of their demands.
Old 22-12-2018, 23:54   #5571
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
So where was the basis for the "divorce" bill set out before the vote? It's just a relatively made up number. with no basis in law. The agreement to a "divorce" bill was just made to try and smooth over an agreement with the EU. It is usual to set out the costs of ending an agreement when the agreement is started

What was or wasn't known in June 2016, couldn't possibly have been known beforehand, as it depends on what, if any, agreement can be made with the EU. The rest of the EU will also have problems, but they are under the impression that we will give in to any, and all of their demands.
Leading Brexiters were stating as fact in 2016 that there would be no divorce bill. We've subsequently learnt that this is wrong regardless of whether or not a transition phase is successfully agreed by the UK Parliament.

Due to the divided UK position and the superior size of the EU, many Leavers are now wising up to the fact that the statement "They need us more than we need them" was a a little misleading. I fear Leavers are in for a disappointing few years if they expect the balance of power to change. As I said back in 2016, sorry, but size matters in negotiations. That's why your local corner shop can't match your local supermarket's prices.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 23-12-2018 at 00:15.
Old 23-12-2018, 01:10   #5572
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
As I said back in 2016, sorry, but size matters in negotiations. That's why your local corner shop can't match your local supermarket's prices.

If you're going to compare (or use as an analogy) supermarkets with the EU, it simply reinforces my belief we'd be better off without either
Old 23-12-2018, 08:49   #5573
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
If you're going to compare (or use as an analogy) supermarkets with the EU, it simply reinforces my belief we'd be better off without either
And yet France, with an economy run on local business rather than huge chains is set to overtake the UK in terms of GDP rankings.
Old 23-12-2018, 09:47   #5574
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
We also know that Theresa May is useless. I defy anyone to argue with that !
Lets put the vote on that on hold until we can get clarification
Old 23-12-2018, 10:05   #5575
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Cool Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
We also know that Theresa May is useless. I defy anyone to argue with that !

She is only useless if she has a 2nd referendrum, before the 1st is carried out.
Old 23-12-2018, 10:55   #5576
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

She's useless because while everyone is concentrating on Brexit the rest of our infrastructure,social,welfare and health is gradually eroding away.
Old 23-12-2018, 11:00   #5577
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
She's useless because while everyone is concentrating on Brexit the rest of our infrastructure,social,welfare and health is gradually eroding away.
I thought we had various Government ministers/departments looking after that stuff.
Old 23-12-2018, 11:08   #5578
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Like this..

https://www.hsj.co.uk/nhs-long-term-...024043.article

https://www.gponline.com/gp-contract...rticle/1521574

And this..

https://www.theguardian.com/social-c...er-social-care

And this..

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-public-policy

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/65369...w-to-get-help/

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...iversal-credit

Last edited by denphone; 23-12-2018 at 11:12.
Old 23-12-2018, 11:10   #5579
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
I thought we had various Government ministers/departments looking after that stuff.
With a limited supply of money and limited legislative timetable Brexit is affecting their ability to do these things.

Wasted time/resources planning for a no deal scenario despite it not being Government policy to seek that outcome.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...costing-brexit
Old 23-12-2018, 11:50   #5580
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
I'm sure the Brexit elite are pleased that you believe that. The reality is somewhat different, as we've seen with the drone legislation being stopped, to take one of many examples.

Quote:
She's useless because while everyone is concentrating on Brexit the rest of our infrastructure, social welfare and health is gradually eroding away.
This cartoon sums it up quite nicely.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Brm5nHEHVVQ/
Closed Thread