Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 30-11-2018, 14:52   #4006
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don't think that is fair, Gavin. When Theresa May looked at the way ahead, she knew that she would be the fall guy if Brexit was not a success. So she worked out a way to both protect business and take some of the advantages of Brexit (such as an end to free movement) by way of a transitional arrangement to bridge the gap between our leaving the EU and the date by which we get a trade deal with the EU.

It has been widely acknowledged on both sides of the argument how resilient she has been, and nothing has side-tracked her despite all the noises-off both in Parliament and even from within her own party, against all the hostility she has taken from the EU. By the end of her tour of the nations, she will then have a debate in the Commons lasting days to discuss what happens next.

What she will be able to claim is:

- She would have done her absolute best to put in place a transition period that would assist business on both sides of the Channel to come to terms with the Brexit arrangements.

- She will have ensured that the country did not take an economic hit during the gap between Brexiting and securing an EU trade deal.

- She will have made sure that everyone understood, as far as it was possible for them to understand, the nature of the Withdrawal Agreement, so that nobody could say afterwards, at least with credibility, that the government did not do enough to explain the intention of that Agreement.

- Her tour of the nations and her plea to the public to make their wishes known to their MPs would have ensured that people could not say (again with credibility) that they had no opportunity to put their views forward.

So after the long debate in the Commons, MPs will vote on the Withdrawal Agreement. Everyone will understand by then what it means. If they vote it down, the Prime Minister will announce that in the absence of an agreement, Article 50 will be activated on 29 March and we wiil be out of the EU, ready to negotiate a trade deal, which will probably take up to two years in all likelihood. She will then announce the measures that will be in place to secure the speediest possible movement of goods and the arrangements in place for businesses to ensure that trade with the EU can continue relatively unimpeded, squashing yet another remoaner argument that no preparations have been done for Brexit without a deal.

Despite what others are saying about Theresa May's future prospects, I think it will be a case of game, set and match to Theresa May and a pure Brexit achieved.

Not bad for a couple of years hard grind against all the odds. Who else could have achieved this outcome?

---------- Post added at 13:56 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

You are so funny, Mr K! You were trying to be funny, weren't you? This post of yours was hilarious!

---------- Post added at 13:56 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

Another misunderstanding. Deliberate, I think.

---------- Post added at 13:59 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

You obviously think all trade with the EU will cease if we come out of the EU with no deal. Well, that's completely wrong, and I think you know that, although I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. We will simply be trading on WTO terms until we get the trade agreement we are seeking. It is as simple as that. No need to panic, Mr Mainwaring.
Of course i don't think that OB lol i was just laughing at Mr Teat's silly assumptions that's all i don't post much in this thread as i don't see the point if honest.We are leaving and that's that .End of

Anyway the silly season starts tomrw so nothing is going to get done now until the second week in January.It's all going to be pissed people and funny hats for the next 5 weeks lol Although its a different kinda pissed people and different kinda funny hats from many that post in this thread

119-Days 9-Hrs 6-Min and 50-Seconds
Advertisement
Old 30-11-2018, 15:14   #4007
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Well, OB empty shelves are a definite possibility in a no deal scenario, at least initially. Lorries getting stuck at the ports with checks and the public panic buying.

What is amusing though is your total devotion to TM and her achieving 'pure Brexit'
My dear chap, if the EU puts in place barriers to their own exports to us, we will simply import cheaper goods from elsewhere!

---------- Post added at 15:09 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
So we will lose the ability to negotiate meaningful trade deals with anyone - nobody can compete with the EU if they flood the UK with tariff free goods/services on our doorstep.

Even our own companies will be harmed from this as their exports will be hit by tariffs in the EU side, so we won’t be competing on a level playing field.

We will also lose the benefit of tax revenue from tariffs.
You have this remarkable ability to see only one side of the equation.

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfunkdup View Post
Of course i don't think that OB lol i was just laughing at Mr Teat's silly assumptions that's all i don't post much in this thread as i don't see the point if honest.We are leaving and that's that .End of

Anyway the silly season starts tomrw so nothing is going to get done now until the second week in January.It's all going to be pissed people and funny hats for the next 5 weeks lol Although its a different kinda pissed people and different kinda funny hats from many that post in this thread

119-Days 9-Hrs 6-Min and 50-Seconds
Oh, sorry, I got the wrong end of the stick there!! I thought you were actually putting that forward as something to be worried about!

My faith in you is restored!
Old 30-11-2018, 15:22   #4008
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
My dear chap, if the EU puts in place barriers to their own exports to us, we will simply import cheaper goods from elsewhere!

---------- Post added at 15:09 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:09 ----------

Oh, sorry, I got the wrong end of the stick there!! I thought you were actually putting that forward as something to be worried about!

My faith in you is restored!
I wonder how we'll have empty supermarket shelves when this flood happens?

If it's tariff free won't costs come down?

How does jfman's flood of goods balance against the BoE "worst case" financial forecast?
Old 30-11-2018, 15:22   #4009
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
You are being specious in your assertion of a 'downturn in the economy'.

The currently issued forecasts talk about lower economic GROWTH, which in no way means a 'downturn in the economy'.

It would help if you acknowledged this.
Apologies, I stated downturn in the performance of the economy first time and not in the second and I should have done. I will try and edit my post. I hope this clarifies things..
----
Nope, can't edit it now. I trust this will stand
Old 30-11-2018, 15:36   #4010
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I don’t think it’s remarkable to view all trade agreements as “what’s in it for us”. It’s hardly a groundbreaking interpretation of capitalism.

If we unilaterally impose no tariff or controls on EU goods and services that leaves us in a weak negotiating position with the rest of the world.

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I wonder how we'll have empty supermarket shelves when this flood happens?

If it's tariff free won't costs come down?

How does jfman's flood of goods balance against the BoE "worst case" financial forecast?
Does the BoE assume we put no tariffs on EU imports?

If not we are talking about different hypothetical futures, neither of them positive for different reasons. Tariff free can’t reduce costs from EU countries because they already are tariff free.
Old 30-11-2018, 15:43   #4011
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I don’t think it’s remarkable to view all trade agreements as “what’s in it for us”. It’s hardly a groundbreaking interpretation of capitalism.

If we unilaterally impose no tariff or controls on EU goods and services that leaves us in a weak negotiating position with the rest of the world.

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:27 ----------

Does the BoE assume we put no tariffs on EU imports?

If not we are talking about different hypothetical futures
, neither of them positive for different reasons. Tariff free can’t reduce costs from EU countries because they already are tariff free.
Finally you have seen the light!

The financial forecasts are hypothetical and nothing more.
Old 30-11-2018, 17:09   #4012
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

I’m quite sure there isn’t an entire industry around their predictions because they are no better than guesswork.
Old 30-11-2018, 17:14   #4013
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I’m quite sure there isn’t an entire industry around their predictions because they are no better than guesswork.

It's the way you tell 'em, jfman!
Old 30-11-2018, 17:46   #4014
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Could of course, be worse than they're forecasting !
Old 30-11-2018, 18:04   #4015
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Or better than the Brexiteers' wildest expectations.

That's quite a wide margin for error, don't you think, Mr K?
Old 30-11-2018, 18:15   #4016
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Or better than the Brexiteers' wildest expectations.

That's quite a wide margin for error, don't you think, Mr K?
Some Brexiters ' wildest dreams aren't very aspirational or numeric. They've moved from the land of milk and honey to we survived the Blitz, we'll survive Brexit.
Old 30-11-2018, 18:41   #4017
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:

Quote:
This cliff edge leading us to the Chancellor’s emergency budget. I can’t wait!
Old 30-11-2018, 18:57   #4018
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
This cliff edge leading us to the Chancellor’s emergency budget. I can’t wait!
You really are willing us to fail, aren't you? Not very patriotic of you, I'd say.
Old 30-11-2018, 19:00   #4019
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
You really are willing us to fail, aren't you? Not very patriotic of you, I'd say.
It’s my duty to report on matters as I see fit. Unless you actively think nationalism should trump freedom of speech? That’s rather dangerous if you do.
Old 30-11-2018, 19:04   #4020
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Some Brexiters ' wildest dreams aren't very aspirational or numeric. They've moved from the land of milk and honey to we survived the Blitz, we'll survive Brexit.
I am sure this was a tongue-in-cheek comment, Andrew. There's no other way to take it, really.

At least Brexiteers want the best for this country and can see many opportunities for increased trade and reduced prices for products coming in, free of the protectionist tariffs put in place by the EU.

jfman's post above #4018, if it is representative of the Mod EDIT community, clearly suggests that they do not want the best for this country at all.

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:02 ----------

Quote:
It’s my duty to report on matters as I see fit. Unless you actively think nationalism should trump freedom of speech? That’s rather dangerous if you do.
Where did I question your freedom to speak your mind? I merely commented that you appeared not to want the best for this country. I notice you didn't deny it.

Please obey the request not to use the term that you originally used

Last edited by Maggy; 01-12-2018 at 09:10.
Closed Thread