Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Fixed IP address

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Fixed IP address

Old 16-06-2020, 10:23   #1
ian-uk
cf.member

ian-uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Fixed IP address

Hi, does anyone know if you can get a fixed IP address with virgin media and how to get it.
ian-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-06-2020, 10:31   #2
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Fixed IP address

You can with Virgin Media Business, but not residential.

However, on the residential side your IP lease gets extended longer and longer the longer you have it. It will only change if you change your equipment (plug a different router in without using the old router's MAC) or there's certain works in the area, stuff like that. Depending on _how_ static you need your IP to be, it might be good enough.

Otherwise, pay for a business package.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 12:04   #3
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

You can setup things like dyndns, noip etc that can match your IP to a name, some services are free some have a small charge.
Some routers can update the service settings for you, otherwise you can get software on a PC that's always on.
The upshot of which is that if your IP changes you can use a DNS entry to access it.
Old 16-06-2020, 13:14   #4
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

That's the best way to do it, that's what I do. All automated, don't even have to think about it. If my IP changes, it's just DNS propagation I have to wait for - usually minutes at most, though can be a couple of hours.
Old 22-06-2020, 01:05   #5
Maltloaf
cf.member

Maltloaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Just spotted this post, was looking at switching to virgin. But need a fixed ip. Just presumed it would not be a problem. Will look into the business prices but I suspect they will be more than I want to pay. I work from home but only want to pay residential rates really as I am not vat registered.
Maltloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 14:12   #6
Kushan

What do you need a fixed IP on a residential connection for? If you're running a business, don't use a residential connection, you don't want to be caught out with your residential connection having a residential SLA.
Old 24-06-2020, 17:19   #7
Maltloaf
cf.member

Maltloaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Having a fix ip allows me to remote connect to devices back home when out. We have Ip cameras and also use it for DNS management.
Maltloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 12:30   #8
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Virgin's dynamic IPs are so static I had the same one for 4 years until I changed my router recently from a USG to a UDM-Pro.

Even on the two occasions we've closed the account, to reopen in the wife's name, and then mine again, to chase better deals, we've kept the same IP.

You don't need a fixed IP to connect remotely anyway, many of us host websites at home and run VPN back to home for our phones etc, all on a dynamic IP with ddns.

Getting a static IP from VM Business would involve a GRE tunnel and is bad.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 16:25   #9
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I've just changed over from a SH1 and Cisco VHD box to a SH3, initially in router mode for registration and software update, then modem mode together with a V6 box and still have the same IP.

The only time it's changed is when VM do a large equipment upgrade / re-segmentation.
Old 30-06-2020, 00:02   #10
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltloaf View Post
Having a fix ip allows me to remote connect to devices back home when out. We have Ip cameras and also use it for DNS management.
Then just use a DDNS service to update your DNS records if your IP Ever changes. As others have stated, it rarely changes with Virgin but if it does, you'll not even notice.

As long as you're not running an e-commerce site or something, you'll be fine. I've been running services off my domain name for over a decade now, via several house moves and IP flushes without anyone ever noticing.