Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 16-06-2020, 23:47   #7726
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

I know this isn’t an issue for most people reading this, but as a device can’t buffer a live stream, for 4K HDR live football to look any good you have to have a very fast internet connection that isn’t susceptible to speed wobbles at all. We have very humble 4mbps rural ADSL which is absolutely fine for streaming anything we like off Netflix, Disney or Prime, but when I tried to watch the champions league final on BT last summer it was horrific, blocky and pixelated whenever the camera panned at any speed at all.
Advertisement
Old 21-06-2020, 15:06   #7727
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

I've been trying out the new All4 app available on the V6 and subscribed to the 14-day free trial to be able to view without the ads. It's very simple to access and there is a lot of interesting material, especially the European 'Walter Presents' programmes. Sadly, the picture quality is poor and the shows are only in SD - at least the one or two I've watched so far. Nothing in the Settings, Categories or FAQs to suggest there are some shows in HD unlike Netflix, Amazon Prime and iPlayer. Pity.
Old 21-06-2020, 15:54   #7728
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
I've been trying out the new All4 app available on the V6 and subscribed to the 14-day free trial to be able to view without the ads. It's very simple to access and there is a lot of interesting material, especially the European 'Walter Presents' programmes. Sadly, the picture quality is poor and the shows are only in SD - at least the one or two I've watched so far. Nothing in the Settings, Categories or FAQs to suggest there are some shows in HD unlike Netflix, Amazon Prime and iPlayer. Pity.
I think it adapts the picture quality according to available internet speeds like iPlayer does. Maybe your internet was slow, or it was doing a poor job of adapting. I've only watched one show on it so fa, and that was 2D animated, so I'm no best placed to judge, thought it looked sharp to me.

I didn't know you could do the ad-free service on the VM version of the app.

I've been meaning to watch more Walter Presents stuff as I was only watching it on a small screen before.
Old 21-06-2020, 16:13   #7729
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I think it adapts the picture quality according to available internet speeds like iPlayer does. Maybe your internet was slow, or it was doing a poor job of adapting. I've only watched one show on it so fa, and that was 2D animated, so I'm no best placed to judge, thought it looked sharp to me.

I didn't know you could do the ad-free service on the VM version of the app.

I've been meaning to watch more Walter Presents stuff as I was only watching it on a small screen before.
The ad-free thing works a treat. My internet connection is 350 Mbps so no problem there. If it is adaptive to speed then there is something amiss.
Old 21-06-2020, 16:14   #7730
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I'm not seeing any any improvement on the V6 All4 app after a few minutes

Last edited by ozsat; 21-06-2020 at 18:08.
Old 21-06-2020, 18:33   #7731
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

I've not really used the All4 app to watch much, but it seems better at playback than the My5 one. Every time you hit an ad break the My5 picture quality drops down to Smudge-O-Vision (tm) and takes about a minute to get back to top quality.
Old 21-06-2020, 19:44   #7732
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
Do you not record programmes rather than pay for VOD on the players?
Old 21-06-2020, 19:52   #7733
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Do you not record programmes rather than pay for VOD on the players?
They mentioned Walter Presents, and there's 74 shows there, and multiple series of some of them. Usually only 1 regular WP series is on weekly, usually More4 9pm on Friday. They show episode 1 of many new series on Channel 4 as a taster but the remainder of the series is streaming only.

My point being that out of the 74 shows only 1 will be recordable in its entirety.

And if you want World Drama the ad-free option may be very appealing, as there's a lot of binging there to be done.
Old 22-06-2020, 07:50   #7734
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
I've not really used the All4 app to watch much, but it seems better at playback than the My5 one. Every time you hit an ad break the My5 picture quality drops down to Smudge-O-Vision (tm) and takes about a minute to get back to top quality.
Smudge-O-Vision! Ha, ha. That's exactly what I am experiencing on the All4 app. It is like that when a programme begins and at times during the show (I hadn't connected it with ad breaks, or where the ad breaks would be, but that just might be the case). The rest of the time it reverts to something like SD quality. I have raised the problem with All4 customer services and am awaiting their reply.
Old 22-06-2020, 08:40   #7735
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

Catch Up TV on ITV, C4 and C5 are in HD via Virgin Catch Up, not their own apps.
Old 22-06-2020, 10:47   #7736
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
They mentioned Walter Presents, and there's 74 shows there, and multiple series of some of them. Usually only 1 regular WP series is on weekly, usually More4 9pm on Friday. They show episode 1 of many new series on Channel 4 as a taster but the remainder of the series is streaming only.

My point being that out of the 74 shows only 1 will be recordable in its entirety.

And if you want World Drama the ad-free option may be very appealing, as there's a lot of binging there to be done.
Ah, OK, yes of course, I was forgetting that!
Old 23-06-2020, 22:58   #7737
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

I emailed channel 4 about tons of stuff on all4 missing. they said "it'll be added soon". well no it wont its not the catch up stuff missing its the on demand stuff. ridiculous
Old 23-06-2020, 23:49   #7738
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
I emailed channel 4 about tons of stuff on all4 missing. they said "it'll be added soon". well no it wont its not the catch up stuff missing its the on demand stuff. ridiculous
How does it not being catch-up content mean it won't? The on-demand offering on any service will evolve over time.

Agreed. It is strange it's not all there given its internet-based now, but some have suggested it's a rights-related problem and varies platform by platform and may change as contracts for content are renewed. E.g. another company may have primary rights on a certain platform so they have to exclude it even though that can include it on other devices.
Old 24-06-2020, 01:12   #7739
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
How does it not being catch-up content mean it won't? The on-demand offering on any service will evolve over time.

Agreed. It is strange it's not all there given its internet-based now, but some have suggested it's a rights-related problem and varies platform by platform and may change as contracts for content are renewed. E.g. another company may have primary rights on a certain platform so they have to exclude it even though that can include it on other devices.
Aye i know i think it was a generic response to be honest

"We are sorry to read that you have been unable to view these programmes on our new All 4 app for Virgin Tivo. We can advise that these programmes will be added as the days and weeks go on. As we are sure you can imagine, All 4 has such a large catalogue of programming adding all of this to the new app may take a little time. We hope to have this content added soon.
Thank you for your comments. We at Channel 4 are always looking to improve our service and your feedback is greatly appreciated. Your comments have been logged and will be passed on to the All 4 team.
If you require further information, feel free to email me back or visit www.channel4.com/4viewers/faqs"
Old 24-06-2020, 08:47   #7740
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Ta. Vince. :-)
Closed Thread