Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Channels switched to MPEG4

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Channels switched to MPEG4

Old 04-07-2019, 16:33   #91
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Channels switched to MPEG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Noticing a worse PQ lately, presumably as a result of Mpeg4 compression?
On which channels?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2019, 16:50   #92
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Noticing a worse PQ lately, presumably as a result of Mpeg4 compression?
I recall someone, I don't want to misquote someone or attribute it to the wrong person, saying MPEG4 compression algorithms can't reproduce 720x480 resolution spot-on so they do 704x480 (or similar) since there is no point in going slightly bigger, and it's closest resolution.

If this is true it could explain it. MPEG4 compression apparently works better on reproducing other common higher resolutions so maybe with HD becoming the norm many in the industry think the trade-off is worth it for the remaining SD channels as it simplifies their infrastructure and lowers costs by running as few codecs on networks as possible.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 17:47   #93
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I recall someone, I don't want to misquote someone or attribute it to the wrong person, saying MPEG4 compression algorithms can't reproduce 720x480 resolution spot-on so they do 704x480 (or similar) since there is no point in going slightly bigger, and it's closest resolution.
That was me, explaining why the picture is slightly cropped on some channels. I doubt you would notice a PQ difference between 720 and 704
Old 07-07-2019, 12:08   #94
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
On which channels?

As I only watch sport it will be on the Sky Sports channels - when I said PQ deterioration I mean the picture breaks up.

This has been noticeable on a number of the Cricket World Cup matches when watching live. (So mainly 504)
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:24   #95
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I mean the picture breaks up.
Oh, that's probably a signal fault. You need a technician visit.
Old 08-07-2019, 13:03   #96
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere in thread but is this move why the sides of pictures are cut off? Really annoying on sport where the home team name is now missing on Ozzie rules matches.

I know my TV doesn't like HD and switches to 4:3. It does this most channels now. SD is our choice as we don't have HD TV and recording take far less space.
Old 08-07-2019, 13:06   #97
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere in thread but is this move why the sides of pictures are cut off? Really annoying on sport where the home team name is now missing on Ozzie rules matches.

I know my TV doesn't like HD and switches to 4:3. It does this most channels now. SD is our choice as we don't have HD TV and recording take far less space.
Literally a couple of posts above:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Quote:
That was me, explaining why the picture is slightly cropped on some channels. I doubt you would notice a PQ difference between 720 and 704
Old 09-07-2019, 16:52   #98
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Oh, that's probably a signal fault. You need a technician visit.
You may be correct.

I have managed to narrow it down a bit - mostly when a roving (presumably hand-held) camera is being used instead of the main cameras
Old 09-07-2019, 17:08   #99
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I have managed to narrow it down a bit - mostly when a roving (presumably hand-held) camera is being used instead of the main cameras
well that would be a problem from source. Possibly there is too much camera movement to encode cleanly. Can you get me a screenshot of the problem?
Old 11-07-2019, 16:47   #100
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
well that would be a problem from source. Possibly there is too much camera movement to encode cleanly. Can you get me a screenshot of the problem?

I will try to next time I see the problem.
Old 14-07-2019, 14:12   #101
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Media Boy HQ has found two unknown channels testing on CO68:

Channel A is broadcasting nothing
http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...&sec=0&lang=en

Channel B is broadcasting RealLives

Both appeared on Thursday Night.

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...ng=en&mux=C068
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 15:25   #102
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post

Intriguing. I thought I looked on DBR on Friday... obviously I didn't or I need my eyesight checked.

Ta, MB.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 17:30   #103
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

We found some HD Channels did move to an new steam last night. They move from CO35 to CO67.

Animal Planet HD
More4 HD
ZooMoo HD

We has to re-Add them to our Favourites.

The rest was

Sky Thriller HD
Sky Action HD
Sky Sports Football HD
SONY MAX HD

Plus an Stream has close - Virgin are now running 42 streams in our area.

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 17-07-2019 at 17:37.
Old 17-07-2019, 20:46   #104
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
We found some HD Channels did move to an new steam last night. They move from CO35 to CO67.

Animal Planet HD
More4 HD
ZooMoo HD

We has to re-Add them to our Favourites.

The rest was

Sky Thriller HD
Sky Action HD
Sky Sports Football HD
SONY MAX HD

Plus an Stream has close - Virgin are now running 42 streams in our area.
Probably why I've just had to re-add SS Football HD to my favourites.
Old 17-07-2019, 21:00   #105
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:

"Channel A" has started to broadcast we think it Sky Witness +1

All the other BBC Red Button Channels are now broadcasting a "We'll be back" sign.