Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Set up V6

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Set up V6

Old 31-01-2018, 13:08   #1
cityfan247
cf.addict

Services: Full House 2 V6 Boxes 1 1TB Tivo Freesat Freeview HD Roku Apple TV 3 Firesticks
cityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to behold
Set up V6

I have ordered 2 new V6's.

Neither is going to be near my Superhub 3 though it will all be downstairs. Superhub is in dining room with a V6 in both the adjacent conservatory and the front lounge.

However i dont want to have the boxes (ethernet) cabled to the Hub. I dont want cables round the house and walls drilled through etc.

I have a few questions about setting up and using wi-fi or powerline adapters.

I have read the V6 should be connected by ethernet cable to the Superhub for the initial set up. Can you simply move the V6 afterwards and connect via wi-fi or powerline to the hub? (obviously where there is a Virgin Media Cable box)

My Wi-fi should be ok. The boxes are all on the same floor as the Superhub with only internal stud walls between them. Both boxes will be about 25 feet or less from the hub. I have other streaming devices such as Firesticks, smart TV, roku and apple tv connected to the network and have had no issues with streaming on any of them.

I also have a couple of (old) powerline adapters I could use for one of the V6 if needed . These are Solwise 500 AV HomePlug 500Mbps adapters. Would these be suitable (ie powerful enough) to use for the V6?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by cityfan247; 31-01-2018 at 13:12.
cityfan247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-01-2018, 13:15   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Set up V6

You can connect a Virgin TV V6 box via any valid connection method during setup. So that's WiFi or Wired - either directly to the Hub or via a Powerline connection. However if you're using your own router you should put (or keep) the Hub in router mode for the initial Virgin TV V6 box setup.

The Powerline adapters you have will work for setup however it all depends on the connection as to whether they're then fast enough for streaming from apps such as Netflix or BBC iPlayer.
Old 31-01-2018, 14:04   #3
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
However if you're using your own router you should put (or keep) the Hub in router mode for the initial Virgin TV V6 box setup.
Is that necessary or recommended? Was going to set up mine via WiFi but the hub is in modem mode (own router).
I could do it via ethernet, by disconnecting the downstairs TiVo and connecting via its ethernet/coaxial then moving the V6 after set up I guess. Bit of a faff though.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 17:13   #4
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Well V6 arrived to replace my VHD. Installation went well, until I tried the Tivo box downstairs, to see the words 'account closed' on it ! How I laughed
The silly so and so's and had decommissioned the wrong box ! I did check several times with them that it was the VHD they were replacing when I placed the order. Ho hum, a call to India and it was sorted.

One slight issue, I can stream recordings from my old Tivo to the V6 ok, but not from the V6 to the Tivo. Both are networked, the Tivo via ethernet, the V6 with wifi. I can see the V6 recordings on the Tivo but just get error V401 when trying to play. It could be wifi I guess, but I can stream the V6 recordings to my phone ok. Not a big problem, not something I'd do much, but any ideas?
Old 01-02-2018, 17:15   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

When did the TiVo box get reactivated, as it could be connected to that.

I'd also suggest turning both TV boxes and your Hub off, then Hub on first and wait for it to startup, followed by both boxes.
Old 01-02-2018, 17:32   #6
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

V401 means the connection isn't fast enough, and is usually caused by poor WiFi. Does your router support 5GHz? If so, use it.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 17:59   #7
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
When did the TiVo box get reactivated, as it could be connected to that.

I'd also suggest turning both TV boxes and your Hub off, then Hub on first and wait for it to startup, followed by both boxes.
The Tivo box got reactivated after I'd installed the V6.

But, yes, a total reboot of everything seem to have sorted it, cheers
Old 01-02-2018, 18:09   #8
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
The Tivo box got reactivated after I'd installed the V6.

But, yes, a total reboot of everything seem to have sorted it, cheers
I hope you are pleased with your new V6 after holding out for so long, Mr K!

Brilliant, isn't it?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 18:13   #9
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I hope you are pleased with your new V6 after holding out for so long, Mr K!

Brilliant, isn't it?
Its ok I guess, it's still relegated to the bedroom , TiVo and it's lovely scart still have pride of place The best/free things come to those that wait..

p.s. anyone want a VHD for a fiver (PM me )
Old 01-02-2018, 19:03   #10
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Its ok I guess, it's still relegated to the bedroom , TiVo and it's lovely scart still have pride of place The best/free things come to those that wait..

You are so perverse, Mr K!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 14:09   #11
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:

As i'd be getting a V6 to replace a single older tivo box i'm in two minds Like you I really like the scart out (to send RF around the house) but it is rather clunky...although it does work !. Decisions decisions
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 14:14   #12
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
As i'd be getting a V6 to replace a single older tivo box i'm in two minds Like you I really like the scart out (to send RF around the house) but it is rather clunky...although it does work !. Decisions decisions
Come on get out of the dark ages and get the V6.....
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 14:57   #13
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
There are possibly ways around it using a hdmi splitter and and an hdmi to scart convertor There is a very long boring thread on the support forum about it...
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...on/m-p/3304980
-all seemed like too many adapters, plugs and hassle to me. The design of the V6 (single hdmi) is obviously to encourage you to buy more V6's, not to feed extra tvs !
Old 02-02-2018, 15:39   #14
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
The design of the V6 (single hdmi) is obviously to encourage you to buy more V6's, not to feed extra tvs !
Actually it's mainly there as it's requirement to be able to do copy protected 4K content.

https://www.digital-cp.com/sites/def...mentations.pdf

HDCP 2.2 Content Type 1 will not allow any output to anything that isn't protected by HDCP - this includes analogue outputs.
Old 02-02-2018, 15:59   #15
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Come on get out of the dark ages and get the V6.....
i'm wavering.

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:57 ----------

Quote:
There are possibly ways around it using a hdmi splitter and and an hdmi to scart convertor There is a very long boring thread on the support forum about it...
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...on/m-p/3304980
-all seemed like too many adapters, plugs and hassle to me. The design of the V6 (single hdmi) is obviously to encourage you to buy more V6's, not to feed extra tvs !
Thanks for that Mr K, I was considering an HDMI splitter then a long HDMI cable run, I hadn't considered HDMI to scart. It would be quite fiddly as you say but would fit in with my current setup better.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote