Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Gennady Golovkin vs. Canelo Alvarez - 16th September

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport

Gennady Golovkin vs. Canelo Alvarez - 16th September

Old 17-09-2017, 18:18   #16
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Canelo Alvarez - 16th September

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Sad to hear that it was called off because there were concerns about her opponent.

Do you know what concerns of Nicola's opponents blood were?
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-09-2017, 18:36   #17
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
Do you know what concerns of Nicola's opponents blood were?
no. That wasn't reported or even speculated on by the BBC?
Old 17-09-2017, 18:47   #18
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
no. That wasn't reported or even speculated on by the BBC?
It'll be a while before we get the explanation behind the failed blood test. Early on though I don't think it's malicious, I think she's just failed a medical is all, just speculation of course and no discredit to Nicola Adams because it's expected of her to take on a few opponents of questionable ability and her opponent is exactly that, a 37 year old unknown that's very likely never submitted to these levels of medical tests and blood samples before.

Daily Mail reported an eye test issue, others reported Blood testing problems. Because she's such a low key opponent we may never hear the reason.
Old 18-09-2017, 01:00   #19
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Decision: DRAW 118-110 Canelo, 115-113, Golovkin, 114-114 draw.
What a bummer . Especially the 118-110; I mean, that is a real drubbing.
They should have let Nicola Adams take out her frustration on Byrd.

Good fight; travesty of a result. The fans know who won. Bah.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 03:52   #20
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

What I took away.

Opening round was jab and go, Canelo goes straight for the body, plan? wear Golovkin out, Canelo being the quicker of the two by far, Golovkin looked uncomfortable all the way till the fourth. Canelo boxed smart and was massively effective early on. Golovkin needs to land something significant to pick his confidence up. Canelo backs himself into the ropes and the crowd is excited, little did we, the crowd or the lopsided commentary know was that one moment tore down his entire fight. Golovkin lands the inevitable and when Canelo shakes his head, you know it hurt, he gets rattled and he's being consistently jabbed. All the way to the 10th round he takes shot after shot, the slick movement is gone and he keeps finding himself on the ropes taking jabs and hooks by the far more powerful Golovkin. Canelo looked absolutely shot at this point and Golovkin just doesn't stop pressing forward.

Canelo rallied slightly for the latter rounds which could've gone either way but as a fighter he looked beaten from the middle of the fight. He came to box and got way ahead of himself, put himself on the ropes, Golovkin finally got through and that sent GGG's confidence up and prompted GGG to put him on the ropes throughout the fight. Very stupid mistake for Canelo to make.

I don't know how Canelo beats him in a rematch. His boxing skills didn't do him enough justice to work his way out of being charged into the ropes throughout rounds. If he can't nullify that then I don't think he can win. In fact I'm confident Golovkin has walked away 'The winner' and in a rematch will start quicker and just pound on Canelo until he caves in. Canelo looked gassed from round 8 which was worrying, the constant movement needed to avoid GGG must have had an effect.

At the end of it all, Golovkin has marched through Canelo's best, tore up his game plan, made him look beaten and uncomfortable and the most notable point is Golovkin hasn't even landed his biggest shots.

Canelo is in real trouble regarding a rematch. Here's hoping it happens but given his absolute arrogance last night and being boo'd out by his own Mexican fans, I'm not sure.

What does Canelo need to do to win? There's really no easier way of putting it than, He needs a defensive hit and go display that only Floyd Mayweather could conjure up. Saying that, I'm fairly confident that Golovkin would punch straight through Mayweathers guard.
Old 18-09-2017, 10:40   #21
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Yep, only the judges saw this fight differently to your summary adzii. It is so disappointing because it was a good fight but there's (more) $$$$$$$ to be made . The official result is meaningless and these shenanigans have damaged the sport. Who wants to pay to watch stitch ups?
Old 18-09-2017, 17:30   #22
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

Second judge called it pretty correctly, could've easily taken a round off and given it elsewhere to get 115-113, I could've also made a draw but that meant giving all the close rounds to Canelo which would be unlikely.

Byrd has been stood down for now, but given the backing she constantly receives by NSAC, she'll be back in no time.
Old 19-09-2017, 01:54   #23
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Second judge called it pretty correctly, could've easily taken a round off and given it elsewhere to get 115-113, I could've also made a draw but that meant giving all the close rounds to Canelo which would be unlikely.

Byrd has been stood down for now, but given the backing she constantly receives by NSAC, she'll be back in no time.
Oh great. Do they do scorecards in braille?
Old 19-09-2017, 15:55   #24
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

Meh, was going to tip Haye vs Bellew II before the official announcement but there you go. I picked up on it after Jimi Manuwa was confirmed to be fighting Haye in Q1 2018 saying Haye still had something penned for December and with Fury/Parker, Joshua/Pulev Wilder and co all tied up, it could've only been a re-negotiation with Bellew.

Not sure if the Manuwa fight can really go ahead? If Haye knocks Bellew out he heads right back to the top of the pile again and Manuwa would be a waste of months. If Haye loses then it damages that fight too. Not quite sure if Manuwa is just blowing air.

Expected date 17th December, possibly earlier, awaiting details of clauses because I'm fairly sure there's an insurance against Haye's injury.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 19-09-2017 at 15:59.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote