Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo software fault.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

V6 recordings ending early.

Old 04-06-2019, 14:00   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
V6 recordings ending early.

Some of my recordings are ending 13 minutes before their scheduled end time. I had a similar issue a couple of years ago. I rang up and got through to the UK and was told that the timers (?!) needed resetting. After that, I had no more problems.

This time, that foreign call centre keep trying to tell me that it's because I have not added padding and that I should add 15 minutes to every programme that I record! Even if I was prepared to use such a ridiculous workaround, I couldn't as there wouldn't be enough tuners to do it during peak times.

It's the second time this month that they've caused me unnecessary hassle. I rang to ask if I was still a priority customer for repairs and all I kept getting back was various figures about my bill (which I wasn't disputing and had never even mentioned!)

I know of one other person that this is also happening to and am interested to see if it's a problem affecting many others before I contact the office of the CEO about it and the abysmal customer service that these people are providing.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2019, 15:53   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: V6 recordings ending early.

As far as I know, that fault where the timers went wrong has never happened on the V6. It was on the older TiVos, and was fixed by a software update some time ago. It was easy to spot the fault as the clock on the miniguide also showed the wrong time. I'm also pretty sure you don't have that fault because you say "Some of my recordings". If the clock was wrong, every recording would be affected.

Each case like this needs investigating on its own merits. Some questions:
1) What duration does the guide say the programme was?
2) How much start and end padding do you have set on these series links?
3) When you play the recordings, do they start at the start of the programme (allowing for the start padding), or early, or late?
4) In My Shows, how long does it say the recording are?
5) How long do they actually play for?
6) Are there any entries in Recording Hiccups that explain why these recordings were truncated?
7) Are they all exactly 13 minutes too short?

Your comment "there wouldn't be enough tuners to do it during peak times" makes me wonder if you actually had run out of tuners. Are you certain you aren't trying to record seven things at any one time, allowing for padding?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 18:24   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
As far as I know, that fault where the timers went wrong has never happened on the V6. It was on the older TiVos, and was fixed by a software update some time ago. It was easy to spot the fault as the clock on the miniguide also showed the wrong time. I'm also pretty sure you don't have that fault because you say "Some of my recordings". If the clock was wrong, every recording would be affected.

Each case like this needs investigating on its own merits. Some questions:
1) What duration does the guide say the programme was?
2) How much start and end padding do you have set on these series links?
3) When you play the recordings, do they start at the start of the programme (allowing for the start padding), or early, or late?
4) In My Shows, how long does it say the recording are?
5) How long do they actually play for?
6) Are there any entries in Recording Hiccups that explain why these recordings were truncated?
7) Are they all exactly 13 minutes too short?

Your comment "there wouldn't be enough tuners to do it during peak times" makes me wonder if you actually had run out of tuners. Are you certain you aren't trying to record seven things at any one time, allowing for padding?
I didn't know this was a general fault and, yes, I will have still had my TiVo the penultimate time it happened.

It's only been affecting recordings since last Friday night.

1) The EPG said one hour in every case that it's happened.

2) None, I don't ever use padding as in peak time it either chops it off again anyway, or takes it off from the beginning of another programme.

3) They all started at the correct time.

4) IIRC, they all said 47 minutes instead of one hour.

5) 47 minutes.

6) Nope.

7) From what I remember, yes. If/when it happens again, i'll make a note and let you know.

Since I made the first post, I don't actually think it is the same thing as what happened with my TiVo either. It looks like it's not recording 13 minutes in the middle of programmes!

The reason I think this is because I recorded yesterday's Loose Women (ITV) for an interview with Bob Mortimer. When I FF'd through the recording to find it, it wasn't there! Also, the opening titles were present at the beginning as were the closing credits at the end.

I went onto VOD and found that the interview had actually taken place approx in the middle of the programme.

A similar thing happened with Fridays Gogglebox on Channel 4.

The only time that i've known this happen before is when the signal gets cut off in the middle of a recording eg when my neighbour accidentally cut through the outside cable and cut off my landline. The TV wasn't affected, but they obviously had to cut everything off whilst they repulled a new cable.

It's also happened when VM TV has gone down in the whole area, however, i've not noticed any channels going off since Friday and other recordings on other channels during the same time period have been fine.

Are ITV SD and C4 SD on the same mux? I'm wondering if, perhaps, one of the muxes is temporarily dropping out? Having said that, it's unlikely that it would happen for exactly 13 minutes each time.

I'll make a note of the shortfall and channel should it happen again
Old 04-06-2019, 18:44   #4
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I didn't know this was a general fault and, yes, I will have still had my TiVo the penultimate time it happened.

It's only been affecting recordings since last Friday night.

1) The EPG said one hour in every case that it's happened.

2) None, I don't ever use padding as in peak time it either chops it off again anyway, or takes it off from the beginning of another programme.

3) They all started at the correct time.

4) IIRC, they all said 47 minutes instead of one hour.

5) 47 minutes.

6) Nope.

7) From what I remember, yes. If/when it happens again, i'll make a note and let you know.

Since I made the first post, I don't actually think it is the same thing as what happened with my TiVo either. It looks like it's not recording 13 minutes in the middle of programmes!

The reason I think this is because I recorded yesterday's Loose Women (ITV) for an interview with Bob Mortimer. When I FF'd through the recording to find it, it wasn't there! Also, the opening titles were present at the beginning as were the closing credits at the end.

I went onto VOD and found that the interview had actually taken place approx in the middle of the programme.

A similar thing happened with Fridays Gogglebox on Channel 4.

The only time that i've known this happen before is when the signal gets cut off in the middle of a recording eg when my neighbour accidentally cut through the outside cable and cut off my landline. The TV wasn't affected, but they obviously had to cut everything off whilst they repulled a new cable.

It's also happened when VM TV has gone down in the whole area, however, i've not noticed any channels going off since Friday and other recordings on other channels during the same time period have been fine.

Are ITV SD and C4 SD on the same mux? I'm wondering if, perhaps, one of the muxes is temporarily dropping out? Having said that, it's unlikely that it would happen for exactly 13 minutes each time.

I'll make a note of the shortfall and channel should it happen again
It seems that either fully or partly that you were or are affected by the fault that meant channels were going off air which happend to me on Friday with Gogglebox. https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...4/td-p/3998168

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...n/td-p/3998130

Last edited by Mythica; 04-06-2019 at 18:47.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 18:52   #5
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

There was a service outage on friday night when Gogglebox was on, it affected ITV as well.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...aving-16363166
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 19:45   #6
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Yes, that all ties in with the outage on Friday night. The same fault happened again yesterday lunchtime, which may well have been when Loose Women was on.

I think it's a coincidence that you lost about 13 minutes each time. Friday's outage lasted about half an hour, but started at about 20:45, so you would only lose about 15 minutes of Gogglebox (which starts at 21:00)
Old 04-06-2019, 22:05   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Thanks everybody.

Hopefully it was all just a coincidence
Old 04-06-2019, 22:34   #8
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

So they weren't ending early but there was a gap in the middle?
Old 04-06-2019, 22:51   #9
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
So they weren't ending early but there was a gap in the middle?
I think one started late, and the other had a gap in the middle.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:37   #10
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Gaps tend to happen when a reset/reboots occurs. Happening a few times for me.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 17:24   #11
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Gaps tend to happen when a reset/reboots occurs. Happening a few times for me.
But these show up as two recordings, what i'm on about is one recording with a gap in the middle. There is no space where the gap is, so it ends early.
Old 05-06-2019, 21:49   #12
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

It's that time again. V6 is rebooting at around 47min past the hour. Weird. The V6 is only a couple of weeks old.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:09   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

There seems to be something that the V6 doesn't like about the last 13 minutes of programmes!