Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 21:22   #3586
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
According to Channel 5 'Watch' are also going to make home produced shows and bid for the football rights.

Let's hope it takes off as more competition for Sky can only be a good thing.
Anyone but Facebook.
Advertisement
Old 13-08-2017, 13:03   #3587
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

If my connection to Facebook is anything to go on, by the time it's loaded the game would be over
Old 13-08-2017, 13:16   #3588
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

According to Channel 5 'Watch' are also going to make home produced shows and bid for the football rights.

Let's hope it takes off as more competition for Sky can only be a good thing.
Don't tell Den. He won't believe you!
Old 13-08-2017, 14:11   #3589
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Don't tell Den. He won't believe you!
l believe facts that ring true not imaginary dreams and visions in ones mind.
Old 13-08-2017, 16:48   #3590
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Seriously, this is disappointing. After all that was said by Malone regarding his attitude to content, with the emphasis on acquiring it rather than owning it, and now we learn that it was Liberty Global's decision not to proceed with the Amazon deal.

For me, this is a very serious problem, and if there is not a reversal of this decision, it will impact on my plans to stick with VM. I really want VM to be a magnet for content, but this revelation makes me wonder where the hell they stand.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...-growth-cools/

Pay-TV’s push back against streaming is building, however. Two industry sources revealed that last year Virgin Media was close to a deal to add Amazon’s streaming service to its subscription packages, before its parent company Liberty Global stepped in to pull the plug. It is understood the pan-European cable giant held fears about the long-term threat Amazon could pose to its pay-TV business.
Old 13-08-2017, 17:05   #3591
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Seriously, this is disappointing. After all that was said by Malone regarding his attitude to content, with the emphasis on acquiring it rather than owning it, and now we learn that it was Liberty Global's decision not to proceed with the Amazon deal.

For me, this is a very serious problem, and if there is not a reversal of this decision, it will impact on my plans to stick with VM. I really want VM to be a magnet for content, but this revelation makes me wonder where the hell they stand.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...-growth-cools/

Pay-TV’s push back against streaming is building, however. Two industry sources revealed that last year Virgin Media was close to a deal to add Amazon’s streaming service to its subscription packages, before its parent company Liberty Global stepped in to pull the plug. It is understood the pan-European cable giant held fears about the long-term threat Amazon could pose to its pay-TV business.
But is this not the great wise old sage who is only interested in subscribing to individual streaming services so he says as he believes that to be the only future ahead of us because he believes Pay-TV as we know it is dead in the water?.
Old 13-08-2017, 17:48   #3592
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
But is this not the great wise old sage who is only interested in subscribing to individual streaming services so he says as he believes that to be the only future ahead of us because he believes Pay-TV as we know it is dead in the water?.
I think you have interpreted me incorrectly there, Den.

Realising that our conventional broadcast channels will not survive in the long term, I have been banking on VM giving us as many channels and OTT streaming services as possible on their set top box. A kind of combination of the traditional cable pay tv channels that will be required in the interim, and a Roku style streaming channel selection sporting all the options available in the UK.

That is my vision, and it would be good from the point of view of my own system of viewing, if I could bookmark shows from all the major streaming services and have them showing on 'My Shows', thereby keeping track of where I am with all the series that I am following.

My needs are simple, but it seems that there are no content providers willing to give me what I want for the time being. I'm beginning to understand why so many VM employees are disillusioned with their parent company, Liberty Global, because VM seemed to interpret Malone's thinking accurately. If this is an example of their decision making, I'm completely underwhelmed.

I hope desperately that they have a re-think on this. What a miserable day this has turned out to be.

However, Den, this does not change anything as far as subscriptions to streaming services is concerned, so don't get the wrong idea of what I am saying here.
Old 13-08-2017, 17:55   #3593
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:

Realising that our conventional broadcast channels will not survive in the long term, I have been banking on VM giving us as many channels and OTT streaming services as possible on their set top box. A kind of combination of the traditional cable pay tv channels that will be required in the interim, and a Roku style streaming channel selection sporting all the options available in the UK.

That is my vision, and it would be good from the point of view of my own system of viewing, if I could bookmark shows from all the major streaming services and have them showing on 'My Shows', thereby keeping track of where I am with all the series that I am following.

My needs are simple, but it seems that there are no content providers willing to give me what I want for the time being. I'm beginning to understand why so many VM employees are disillusioned with their parent company, Liberty Global, because VM seemed to interpret Malone's thinking accurately. If this is an example of their decision making, I'm completely underwhelmed.

I hope desperately that they have a re-think on this. What a miserable day this has turned out to be.

However, Den, this does not change anything as far as subscriptions to streaming services is concerned, so don't get the wrong idea of what I am saying here.
Any proof of this discontent? as strange my cloth ears have not heard anything.

---------- Post added at 17:55 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

Quote:

Spoken like a true politician.
Old 13-08-2017, 18:22   #3594
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Any proof of this discontent? as strange my cloth ears have not
Er, (licks finger) what about this one, of which I'm sure MB would approve of as I understand this is one of his sources and I know you revere him!

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/0...out_of_virgin/
Old 13-08-2017, 18:38   #3595
denphone
Still alive and fighting

One link a year ago is not exactly giving a big impression of widespread discontent as any company will always have a few unhappy staff on their payroll.
Old 13-08-2017, 19:03   #3596
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Er, (licks finger) what about this one, of which I'm sure MB would approve of as I understand this is one of his sources and I know you revere him!

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/0...out_of_virgin/
Hope you washed that finger first.
Old 13-08-2017, 19:34   #3597
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
One link a year ago is not exactly giving a big impression of widespread discontent as any company will always have a few unhappy staff on their payroll.
That's one of many, Den, I'm sure you will discover them if you put your Sherlock Holmes hat on!

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Hope you washed that finger first.
Oh, yuk, I licked the wrong finger!

Old 13-08-2017, 19:52   #3598
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
That's one of many, Den, I'm sure you will discover them if you put your Sherlock Holmes hat on.
Sadly l am still waiting for Watson to come back from his holiday but you will do for the meantime as a stop gap.
Old 13-08-2017, 20:06   #3599
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Sadly l am still waiting for Watson to come back from his holiday but you will do for the meantime as a stop gap.
Ha, I'm not doing your research for you, Den! Just Google it and you will see there are other sources to this story!
Old 13-08-2017, 21:42   #3600
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I want to watch some Channel 4 programmes that are over a week old, so aren't available on the V6.

Fired up my Samsung TV All 4 app for the first time in months to find it stuck on loading.

An internet search said that this was a known problem after an update to the app and the cure was to reset the Smart Hub.

I did this hours ago and, ever since, whenever I try to access the All 4 app I get the following message:

"Smart Hub is being updated. Please try again later".

Does anyone know how to fix this? If not I'll have to have my first go at casting from my tablet.

Cheers.
Closed Thread