Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 22-07-2016, 10:35   #2881
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Isn't that what the Tivo was supposedly meant to be good at ?

I thought this was supposed to be TiVos biggest selling point , discovering new content. What do you need a tv magazine for ?

I've never bought a tv magazine in years.
I wouldn't rely on the Tivo to guess everything I'd like recorded. In fact, I've missed one or two series before that I was lucky enough not to miss when they were repeated. The suggestions are just a useful back up and are not to be relied upon.

However, I have certainly been impressed by the way Tivo remembers your series links and without fail picks up the next series shown. That is a very useful trick the Tivo performs. I don't think the Sky + HD box does this.

---------- Post added at 10:35 ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
Well i'm over 50 and 90% of my viewing is streaming, the only things i watch live are the news and sports. The TV will be on as background noise and i half watch it. Right now i'm surfing the web and deadliest catch is playing, the amount of adverts reminds me why i watch the way i do.

As an aside, quite happy to keep paying the licence fee as the Mrs is a bit technically challenged and prefers linear.
So you don't bother recording your preferred programmes from linear TV? I think you are unnecessarily reducing your choice by not doing so. Fast forwarding through the commercials is not really a pain - very little time is wasted by doing so.
Advertisement
Old 22-07-2016, 11:20   #2882
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I was referring to the whole search and discover thing rather than just Suggestions.

I'm not sure what the sections on Tivo are called but on Sky Q you have Top Picks , New Series , For you , featured , more like this etc it's nearly impossible to miss a show these days. These features are mirrored on the mobile apps also.
Old 22-07-2016, 12:50   #2883
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
on Sky Q you have Top Picks , New Series , For you , featured , more like this etc it's nearly impossible to miss a show these days. .
Is that also available on the Sky+ box?

Now TV added that functionality a little while ago. Not something I use, but useful for some people I guess.

Personally I use the Premier dates list on TV Wise, and the email updates from this thread for Now TV box sets removal and additions:

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/Entert.../388177#M23022
Old 22-07-2016, 14:35   #2884
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Is that also available on the Sky+ box?

Now TV added that functionality a little while ago. Not something I use, but useful for some people I guess.

Personally I use the Premier dates list on TV Wise, and the email updates from this thread for Now TV box sets removal and additions:

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/Entert.../388177#M23022
I use this site myself you can mark of each episode as you watch them and it will send alerts to your iphone or android phone (don't know about windows) http://www.tvshowtime.com/en/user/2435515/calendar
Old 22-07-2016, 22:36   #2885
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
As I have said before, I do not expect the likes of Netflix to survive another ten years, I assume the big media companies would have bought them out by then/launched their own streaming services. But we are in a new world.
I don't think the studios have it them, Netflix is here for the long haul and is far too ahead of the competition now, US studios are still stuck in a old world of thinking which is very US focused. None of them will be willing to roll out a world wide streaming service, and if one of them did what would they show, just movies and TV shows from their own catalogue? Not only can Netflix cut deals with all the studios they can also commission top quality drama of their own.

---------- Post added at 22:36 ---------- Previous post was at 22:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
[/COLOR]
So you don't bother recording your preferred programmes from linear TV? I think you are unnecessarily reducing your choice by not doing so. Fast forwarding through the commercials is not really a pain - very little time is wasted by doing so.
I don't think this is a true at all, all the shows I want to watch are available on one of the three services that I sub to all at less cost then the XL pack. No multi room cost and I can watch on what device I want where I want over whatever connection happens to be available. Why tie myself to a box that is connected to my living room TV only? The only reason I have a Tivo is VM didn't want to take it back. They only use it has gotten in the last year and half is all the referendum stuff and the Euros. Otherwise it is all streaming.

Your right forwarding through the adds consumes very little time, but not having to forward through them wastes even less time and more importantly you don't get brought out of the moment when watching something dramatic.
Old 27-07-2016, 20:04   #2886
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Wurl Network brings OTT channels to cable boxes

I would hope that with its renewed emphasis on content, Virgin Media content chiefs will be actively seeking out opportunities like this to increase their offering.

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201607264...#axzz4FdYoZ5Xh

In what is being billed as the launch of the first streaming cable TV network, Wurl has unveiled the Wurl Network.

The network provides five channels of 24/7 programming, featuring shows produced by various digital and traditional media brands. Wurl's channels are broadband-delivered through cable TV operators' Internet-connected set-top boxes and appear in operators' on-screen guides – just like legacy cable channels.

The available channels are the Alt Channel, Streaming News Network, The Sports Feed, Baeble Music TV and the Popcornflix Channel. So far, they have been integrated with pay-TV systems in use by more than 50 operators serving over 13 million homes. Viewers can fast-forward and rewind any show, binge view multiple episodes, and watch any programme on-demand at any time.

“We're helping cable operators do two things - deliver new programming and create a new cable channel experience that offers deep engagement,” explained Sean Doherty, Wurl CEO and co-founder. "In an entertainment environment where viewers demand control and choice, Wurl provides cable operators with new channels that deliver the programming and the on-demand experience that viewers want.”

“We are excited to be offering Wurl's channels to our subscribers,” added Loren King, product manager at Fidelity Communications, a multi-system cable operator based in Missouri. “We now have a new source of programming and new interactive viewing features that will give us a competitive edge.”
Old 27-07-2016, 23:54   #2887
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Wurl Network brings OTT channels to cable boxes

I would hope that with its renewed emphasis on content, Virgin Media content chiefs will be actively seeking out opportunities like this to increase their offering.

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201607264...#axzz4FdYoZ5Xh

In what is being billed as the launch of the first streaming cable TV network, Wurl has unveiled the Wurl Network.

The network provides five channels of 24/7 programming, featuring shows produced by various digital and traditional media brands. Wurl's channels are broadband-delivered through cable TV operators' Internet-connected set-top boxes and appear in operators' on-screen guides – just like legacy cable channels.

The available channels are the Alt Channel, Streaming News Network, The Sports Feed, Baeble Music TV and the Popcornflix Channel. So far, they have been integrated with pay-TV systems in use by more than 50 operators serving over 13 million homes. Viewers can fast-forward and rewind any show, binge view multiple episodes, and watch any programme on-demand at any time.

“We're helping cable operators do two things - deliver new programming and create a new cable channel experience that offers deep engagement,” explained Sean Doherty, Wurl CEO and co-founder. "In an entertainment environment where viewers demand control and choice, Wurl provides cable operators with new channels that deliver the programming and the on-demand experience that viewers want.”

“We are excited to be offering Wurl's channels to our subscribers,” added Loren King, product manager at Fidelity Communications, a multi-system cable operator based in Missouri. “We now have a new source of programming and new interactive viewing features that will give us a competitive edge.”
I'm surprised at your comments re above OB, I thought you liked quality shows, what they seem to be offering is just more dross imo!
Old 28-07-2016, 00:45   #2888
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

VM CEO said today that he wants VM customers to have access to everything, but that they are not going to spend billions on exclusive content.

"Netflix is more friend than foe as customers need broadband to access it".

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10...l#post35851503
Old 28-07-2016, 09:38   #2889
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I'm surprised at your comments re above OB, I thought you liked quality shows, what they seem to be offering is just more dross imo!
It's not that bad though, Max.

http://advanced-television.com/2016/...le-tv-network/

I'm not sure that there is a lot there for me personally, but I would have thought a lot of VM TV subscribers would appreciate this additional choice.

It looks a lot better than Tru TV, which I would definitely steer well clear of!
Old 28-07-2016, 14:15   #2890
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
It's not that bad though, Max.

http://advanced-television.com/2016/...le-tv-network/

I'm not sure that there is a lot there for me personally, but I would have thought a lot of VM TV subscribers would appreciate this additional choice.

It looks a lot better than Tru TV, which I would definitely steer well clear of!
The film channel might be ok.

My TiVo has suggested that I try the American version of Nightmare Neighbour From Hell on truTV, so i'm going to give it a go.
Old 28-07-2016, 16:19   #2891
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The film channel might be ok.

My TiVo has suggested that I try the American version of Nightmare Neighbour From Hell on truTV, so i'm going to give it a go.
Well, we certainly have plenty of programmes like that to choose from, Richard!
Old 29-07-2016, 15:16   #2892
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Olympic Channel launches on 21 August.

http://advanced-television.com/2016/...unches-aug-21/

Something else for the content boys to contemplate?
Old 29-07-2016, 16:16   #2893
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Sky Store launches Box Sets to Buy & Keep
Quote:
The service is available today on skystore.com and the Sky Store app on mobiles, tablets, NOW TV, Roku and YouView boxes. Box Sets in Sky Store are rolling out to Sky boxes and by the end of September all Sky customers will be able to Buy & Keep Box Sets in Sky Store.

Sky Store adds the latest movies direct from the cinema to buy or rent. Buy & Keep transactions are up 86% year-on-year with over 3,500 titles now available on the service.
https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...o-buy-and-keep
Old 29-07-2016, 16:23   #2894
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Sky Store launches Box Sets to Buy & Keep

https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...o-buy-and-keep

Will they still be available to view rather than buy MM?
Old 29-07-2016, 16:30   #2895
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Will they still be available to view rather than buy MM?
If i remember correctly when you buy something from SKY store you get a digital copy too which you can download to your SKY+HD box or view via the sky store app/website.
Closed Thread