Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Where is HD from NTL? When?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Where is HD from NTL? When?

Old 25-03-2006, 23:33   #61
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age
Re: Where Is Hdtv From Ntl.....when?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I wasn't debating the reasons M8 ntl will always follow Sky in terms of technology, after all-all they really are is a reseller of Sky's channels when it comes to TV.
Well, thats a bit of generalisation. Lets see the channels that ntl:telewest own, wholly or partly.

Trouble
Trouble Reload
Bravo
Bravo+1
LivingTV
LivingTV +1
Living 2
Challenge
Challenge +1
Ftn
UK Gold +1
UK Gold 2
UK Style
UK Style +1
UK Horizons
UK Horizons +1
UK Drama
UK Food
UK History
UK Bright Ideas

They are really among the premier channels. Sky don't own the other big channels on pay tv from itv, BBC and Viacom. So apart from the Sky branded channels and maybe a couple of horse**** shopping channels theres not much to shout about is there?

Quote:
It's all about offering a superior service & Sky's is superior to ntl's-in much the same way as ntl's phone 'service' is inferior to BT's in almost every way imaginable.
Thats all subjective to what you belive constitutes superiority.

In your case Neil, that is as many channels of crap (I mean its hard enough on ntl to find something decent to watch half the time) as can be put on the platform and broadcasting comparable channels at a lower bitrate then ntl.

Yeah, so red button may be fully functional / faster, but as for that, I couldn't really care.
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-03-2006, 00:55   #62
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwn
Well, thats a bit of generalisation. Lets see the channels that ntl:telewest own, wholly or partly.

Trouble
Trouble Reload
Bravo
Bravo+1
LivingTV
LivingTV +1
Living 2
Challenge
Challenge +1
Ftn
UK Gold +1
UK Gold 2
UK Style
UK Style +1
UK Horizons
UK Horizons +1
UK Drama
UK Food
UK History
UK Bright Ideas
Not too sure about the UKTV channels I thought that was BBc + another (random) company, but regarding flextec, Ntl got hold of them by buying another company (well merging but it amount to the same thing). What a surprise with a company history like theirs!
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2006, 03:37   #63
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

UKTV is owned partly by Flextech and the BBC. Hence why I said 'wholly or partly'
Old 26-03-2006, 03:40   #64
cnewton2k
Inactive

Services: 100 Meg + Phone
cnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to cnewton2k

Quote:

Trouble
Trouble Reload
Bravo
Bravo+1
LivingTV
LivingTV +1
Living 2
Challenge
Challenge +1
Ftn
UK Gold +1
UK Gold 2
UK Style
UK Style +1
UK Horizons
UK Horizons +1
UK Drama
UK Food
UK History
UK Bright Ideas

They are really among the premier channels. Sky don't own the other big channels on pay tv from itv, BBC and Viacom. So apart from the Sky branded channels and maybe a couple of horse**** shopping channels theres not much to shout about is there?
However Sky is own by Fox Networks, so they do have some massive programs behind them i.e 24, The simpsons and NIP/tuck just to mention a few.

Which on my op will give Sjy the advanatage of NTL when it comes down to HD
cnewton2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2006, 06:51   #65
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
UKTV is owned partly by Flextech and the BBC. Hence why I said 'wholly or partly'
Like I said, not too sure about the others but it's still a case of more luck than judgement. Like most of their other "businesses" Ntl just happened to come into ownership of them by accident when they splashed the (non existent or so we're told) cash (or share options etc.)
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2006, 19:30   #66
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

...and to complete the channel list....:

Player
UKTV Gold
UKTV G2+1
UKTV Food+1
UKTV Documentaries
UKTV Documentaries +1
UKTV People
UKTV People +1
UKTV History +1

and to finish off with the crap:

Screenshop
bid tv
Price drop tv
Speed auction tv

31 Channels in total! The largest channel provider to all tv plaforms in the UK.

UK Horizons got renamed into UKTV Docs, I think, a while ago.

Ps: Who want to bet that some of these will be renamed Five.2, Five3, RTL1, RTL2, by the end of the year?

Now back to HDTV, or the lack of it on ntl!
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2006, 20:34   #67
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

While I'm sure my next TV set will be a HD TV set, I'm beginning to wonder if its worth the potential cost.

Sure, you get the HDTV STB box free, but then (if Telewest are anything to go by), you're talking £10 to £15 to rent the box per month, PLUS whatever Sky are going to charge for their HD channels package - assuming they actually allow NTL Telewest to have that package.

For Sky customers, that HD package is £10 per month.

So, that's at least £20 to £25 extra on my bill per month, to watch HDTV on NTL??
HDFootyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2006, 22:39   #68
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Just think how long ntl customers waited for Sky Sports Extra, some still can't get the full red button interactivity.

How long has Sky + been out now (& where's is ntl's offering)?

ntl-where others lead, they (try to) follow.
I am still waiting, ntl cant even finish rolling PDTV digital out yet.

Telewest did it with less money.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2006, 22:52   #69
quadplay
Inactive

Services: 9am, 1pm and 8pm daily
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
I am still waiting, ntl cant even finish rolling PDTV digital out yet.

Telewest did it with less money.
Two points:

1) Telewest haven't completed digital rollout. They still have numerous analogue-only areas (more than ntl, I believe).
2) Less money perhaps - but they have a smaller network, and we don't know the quality of the work.
quadplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2006, 06:00   #70
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

ntl can't even persuade people to take digital so this news is hardly a surprise. ntl really has got elft behind and nothing seems to work. I can't even watch BBc channels without PRESS RED appearing every 10 minutes or so with now ay to switch it off, there's no video-on-demand, I can't use a certian type of TV, we are told that low energy lightbulbs interfere with it, the box is once again randomly changing channels and ntl has chosen not to put through a vast number of channels. Not very encouraging is it.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2006, 07:34   #71
jem
Inactive

Services: Broadband only (Vivid 300)
jem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quads

Well I'm intrigued, just which types of TV don't work with NTL?

ASAIK the Press Red problem isn't the fault of NTL but rather the program originators who decide when the Red Dot appears. The energy saving lightbulbs is a real pain I'm sure although I have two of them in my living room and they have never given me any problems (just lucky I guess). But if the bulbs radiate IR on the ame frequencies as the remotes use then is that NTL's fault or the light bulb makers?

Quite agree about the lack of VOD though and even more concerned about the total lack of hard info on when we can expect HDTV and a PVR. I'm afraid I can't get too excited about vague 'coming soon' or 'November time-maybe'
jem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2006, 12:06   #72
King Of Fools
Inactive

Services: 2 for £22 (Broadband Size: M and Phone Size: M), Free TV Size: M and fries!
King Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Howell
While I'm sure my next TV set will be a HD TV set, I'm beginning to wonder if its worth the potential cost.

Sure, you get the HDTV STB box free, but then (if Telewest are anything to go by), you're talking £10 to £15 to rent the box per month, PLUS whatever Sky are going to charge for their HD channels package - assuming they actually allow NTL Telewest to have that package.

For Sky customers, that HD package is £10 per month.

So, that's at least £20 to £25 extra on my bill per month, to watch HDTV on NTL??
I doubt very much that NTL/Telewest will charge more than Sky for the HDTV service, i.e. that £10 charge will be included in the box rental charge.

Edit: I just noticed that Sky are charging £300 for the STB on top of the £10 per month, so NTL probably will charge extra per month than Sky but that has to be compared against the up-front £330 cost:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03...ch_for_sky_hd/
King Of Fools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2006, 14:17   #73
gooner4life
cf.geek

Services: SkyQ 2TB - Multiroom x3, VM 350Mb cable broadband.
gooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpack

NTL are apparantly going for a 1 off fee for the STB (which you will still rent) but no extra subscription fee.
gooner4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2006, 14:34   #74
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadplay
Two points:

1) Telewest haven't completed digital rollout. They still have numerous analogue-only areas (more than ntl, I believe).
2) Less money perhaps - but they have a smaller network, and we don't know the quality of the work.
So the reports that state telewest will be fully digitalised by a certian date are wrong?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2006, 14:40   #75
jtwn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner4life
NTL are apparantly going for a 1 off fee for the STB (which you will still rent) but no extra subscription fee.
I thought it was the other way round.