Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Tech Support to be charged at 0871 rate from 8 May

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Tech Support to be charged at 0871 rate from 8 May

Old 09-03-2006, 00:12   #46
quadplay
Inactive

Services: 9am, 1pm and 8pm daily
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
Re: Tech Support to be charged at 0871 rate from 8 May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabba
0800 1830123 i'm all for ringing sales. They transfer you to were you want to be (or at least they used to).
Telesales staff have been told they are not to transfer calls to chargable departments. Customer Service reps will be told they can, for now, transfer to technical support (which is at the higher 0871 rate) - but this will be reviewed in the future if significant revenue is being lost this way.

---------- Post added at 00:12 ---------- Previous post was at 00:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
If it is an 0871 number for faults it'll be 10p at all times.
The 0871 number is for broadband technical support only. TV & telephone faults will continue to be handled via the main contact number, which is now 0845.
quadplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2006, 00:34   #47
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

holy **** batman - this 0871 number is 10p at all times - I didn't realise that.

---------- Post added at 00:34 ---------- Previous post was at 00:33 ----------

even more of a rip off than 0870
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 01:41   #48
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I wonder why broadband support is at a higher rate?

higher volume of people ringing up due to speed problems etc?
ntl realising not as cheap as they thought having it in india?
detterent for people to bitch about speeds?

I suspect number 3 might be a big one.

ntl:telewest those of you who thought a merger was to benefit customers have got an early answer to that although I never expected things to go downhill this fast. Generally larger companies are more disrespectful to customers.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:10   #49
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

and it's 10p a min now but may go up in the future.

---------- Post added at 08:10 ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 ----------

BT yahoo broadband tech support is an 0845 number:-

Customer Support:
0845 600 7030

Open 24 hours a day, calls are charged at local rate.

significantly cheaper than ntl
Old 09-03-2006, 09:07   #50
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadplay
The 0871 number is for broadband technical support only. TV & telephone faults will continue to be handled via the main contact number, which is now 0845.
Will the IVR option for Broadband faults just give customers a recorded message with the new number then cut them off then?
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 13:20   #51
Invicta59
Inactive

Invicta59 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
Quote:
We are putting in place initiatives to ensure any customer who is on hold for three minutes or more is given the option to request a free call back from us.
So, in theory, no one should wait more than about 5 minutes. I wonder how long it takes to get called back though, given that many people have lives (!), and can't sit by their phone all day.So, in theory, no one should wait more than about 5 minutes. I wonder how long it takes to get called back though, given that many people have lives (!), and can't sit by their phone all day.
Excellent point. Personally, I'd rather hear one of those "There are 487 calls ahead of you", or "There are 5 calls ahead of you" messages so I could make the decision whether to hold or give up. Of course, hanging up within a minute wouldn't raise much revenue, but it wouldn't waste an entire day/evening/night hanging about for a phone call that may or may not happen either!
Invicta59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 14:06   #52
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Think I'll be phoning NTL then from my mobile...at least I got free minutes there
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 14:38   #53
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTL press release
This change brings ntl into line with other communication companies who make a nominal charge for customer service calls.
So because "everyone else does it", ntl has to do the same? Why not try to be better than the other companies?
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 14:56   #54
etccarmageddon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDutch
Think I'll be phoning NTL then from my mobile...at least I got free minutes there
free mins to 0845 and 0871 numbers? better check mate if you're not 100% sure.

my orange payg phone charges 25p a min for these numbers.
Old 09-03-2006, 15:03   #55
UncleBooBoo

I'm starting to wonder if I did the right thing by keeping my broadband at £34.99 a month with NTL!

(got rid of TV & Telco)

I'm very tempted to call up now and give 30 days notice on my broadband too, this amounts to the fith price increase in under a year since I joined them!

I would not mind so much if I new that when I called this number I would get an answer within three minutes and my problem solved first time. But my history with NTL tells me something very different!
Old 09-03-2006, 15:09   #56
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

considering the problems people have with ntl, merry go round, waiting etc. If they needed to charge a fixed fee might have been more appropriate.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 16:45   #57
Simply Gray
Inactive

Services: Homechoice Installed 30/3/2006 Internet: 8Mbps (Achieve 6Mbps) Television: Big Pack Telephone: BT
Simply Gray is on a distinguished roadSimply Gray is on a distinguished road

Has the 10 meg fiasco been a trial run to see how many calls can be generated for NTL's new income stream? Maybe 1/2meg upgrades are scheduled for May 2006?
Simply Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 17:00   #58
etccarmageddon
Inactive

so why is one call centre 0845 and the other 0871? why is customer service a chargeable call? why is tech support a chargeable call at an even higher rate?
Old 09-03-2006, 17:04   #59
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
so why is one call centre 0845 and the other 0871? why is customer service a chargeable call? why is tech support a chargeable call at an even higher rate?
Normally because the Technical Support calls are longer and cost Ntl more to handle than the Cust Service ones.

A normal call to customer services can be dealt with in about 3-4 minutes by a competent CSR.
Even the best training technical staff will struggle to get past the initial troubleshooting and diags in that time.

They could redeem themselves slightly by bringing the tech support back to the UK with the money saved/made out the chargeable calls and put a cap on the time limit so if a customer has been on the phone for say 25-30 minutes they get a call back.

Can't see that happening though
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 17:38   #60
etccarmageddon
Inactive

tech support jobs exported to Indian AND now they want 10p a min. a double pile of turd. so what they want is for us to pay money which effectively will be going out of the country - so it's not like we're paying this 10p a min and can say the money is being used to keep some uk staff off the dole.