Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Harmony

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Billing Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ntl will not connect

Old 13-02-2006, 10:28   #1
ColinJames
Inactive

ColinJames is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy ntl will not connect

Nearly 6 months ago I contacted ntl to ask if I could be connected.
YES they said, we have cable outside your door and your immediate neighbour, in the same building, already receives it.
Great I said, how much? I said.
Just £30 a month they said, no installation charge they said, special ofer they said.
Two weeks later their technician arrives, as aggreed. I have the floorboards up, furniture pulled back, the lot. Under I go, pulling cables and helping out. It goes like a dream.
Where is your Toby (the connection point in the street) says the Technician?
I don't know, I say.
I will look for it he says.
He looks for it. He finds it. I will have to call my boss he says.
His boss comes. Toby too far away he says. Don't worry he says, I will get the street team out he says. It will take three months he says.
!0 weeks late a donkey jacket with a JCB knocks on the door. I will fit your Toby he says manfully.
Good, I say.
Last week Technicians come again to complete connect.
Where is your toby, they say.
We will look for it. They find it. Too far away they say. We will call our boss they say. The boss looks at it. I will get it moved he says.
I make phone call after phone call. Enthusiatic person eventually calls me back.
Toby too far away he says. We will not supply you he says.
Will not discuss it further.

Has anyone out there had a similar problem. How did it end. What do it do next.
Help
ColinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-02-2006, 10:42   #2
UncleBooBoo

Re: ntl will not connect

If I was you be thankfull your not with NTL!
Old 13-02-2006, 13:14   #3
Pia
Inactive

Services: XL Phone XL BB V+ XL TV
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Pia

lol your first post is brill, like a story
to Cable Forum.

Have you phone Customer Services since they told you they couldn't connect you?
If the person next door is getting it there must be a way to connect you.
Pia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 13:32   #4
ColinJames
Inactive

Unhappy Re: ntl will not connect

My penultimate conversation with ntl went something like this
Give me your Customer Complaints Dept. telephone no.
We don't have one.
You don't have a Customer Complaints Dept.?????????
Yes we do, but they do not have a telephone number.
Give me their e-mail address.
No.
No?
Yes, no.
Why not.
It's a secret.
Give me their address, or can't they read.
No need to be offensive.

My upstairs neighbour has ntl connection but to use the same supply ntl would have to walk accross his drive. That is all walk across his drive. Which he will not allow.
Old 13-02-2006, 13:35   #5
Pia
Inactive

Services: XL Phone XL BB V+ XL TV
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Pia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinJames
My penultimate conversation with ntl went something like this
Give me your Customer Complaints Dept. telephone no.
We don't have one.
You don't have a Customer Complaints Dept.?????????
Yes we do, but they do not have a telephone number.
Give me their e-mail address.
No.
No?
Yes, no.
Why not.
It's a secret.
Give me their address, or can't they read.
No need to be offensive.
Sounds like you got an experienced team member then
All calls are recorded, and if that really is how the conversation went then that person isn't doing their job properly. Call again and complain.
Pia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 13:41   #6
Rik
cf.mega poster

Services: 1Gbps Broadband
Rik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
My upstairs neighbour has ntl connection but to use the same supply ntl would have to walk accross his drive. That is all walk across his drive. Which he will not allow.
Have you tried Bribery!

Have you upset him then'?
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 21:24   #7
gavnad
Inactive

gavnad is an unknown quantity at this point

customer concern is purely by snail mail...no telephone except internal and no direct email AFIK!
gavnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 08:23   #8
ColinJames
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik
Have you tried Bribery!

Have you upset him then'?
ntl have, but no joy.

I exist, therefore, I annoy him.
Old 14-02-2006, 08:31   #9
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

I had a similar situation in my flat in Hendon- because there was damage to the cabling under the road, it would have been too expensive to fix, hence they said that my house wasn't servicable.

At the end of the day, the cost of the construction work needed probably can't be justified for 1 extra customer.
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 16:46   #10
ColinJames
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W
I had a similar situation in my flat in Hendon- because there was damage to the cabling under the road, it would have been too expensive to fix, hence they said that my house wasn't servicable.

At the end of the day, the cost of the construction work needed probably can't be justified for 1 extra customer.
You are far too easy on them. If they put the cable in, then they should look after it. After all the costs of maintainance of the network will be built in to the costs everyone is charged. By not doing this work they are getting money for not doing something.
Old 14-02-2006, 20:50   #11
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
You are far too easy on them. If they put the cable in, then they should look after it. After all the costs of maintainance of the network will be built in to the costs everyone is charged. By not doing this work they are getting money for not doing something.
If it was my business i wouldn't have shelled out that amount of money for one extra customer who would have been paying £30 a month...

From a business point of view I am sure the focus is on increasing the penetration in areas that are servicable without spending extra money, rather than picking up customers who are going to take a long time to provide any return on the capital employed.
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote