Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Telewest Broadband to increase speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Telewest Broadband to increase speeds

Old 25-04-2004, 01:19   #61
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Telewest Broadband to increase speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant

Okay I give up I made the whole thing up for the sake of it

Believe what you want I'm moving on
So, either TW have Cable Modems with such poor control that they allow customers to download at 4Mb (and 1Mb customers at 2Mb), or these people are in error - possibly the software they are using to measure the speed is inaccurate.

I know which I think is more likely. Get them to try rdhw's speedtest and post the result.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-04-2004, 01:35   #62
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

MRTG of a telewest customer on 1mb look at the speeds he has in places.
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2004, 01:47   #63
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pem
So, either TW have Cable Modems with such poor control that they allow customers to download at 4Mb (and 1Mb customers at 2Mb), or these people are in error - possibly the software they are using to measure the speed is inaccurate.

I know which I think is more likely. Get them to try rdhw's speedtest and post the result.
Or maybe they were relying on the speed estimate given by IE, which can be wildly inaccurate (I have been told by IE that I am downloading stuff at nearly 700K a second before).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2004, 01:48   #64
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
Originally Posted by kits
MRTG of a telewest customer on 1mb look at the speeds he has in places.
I think i am missing your point, but the highest download speed i can see on there is 129.9 kB/s which is only 1039kbps, only just over the 1mb limit. Highest upload is admittedly 44.7 kB/s which is 357kbps, but i don't see any evidence of him getting 500kB/s download speeds...
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2004, 10:27   #65
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybreath
I think i am missing your point, but the highest download speed i can see on there is 129.9 kB/s which is only 1039kbps, only just over the 1mb limit. Highest upload is admittedly 44.7 kB/s which is 357kbps, but i don't see any evidence of him getting 500kB/s download speeds...
You are mixing the posts I didn't say he got 500K that was for the 2mb connection that Defiant posted.If you read the link it said 1mb connection he hasn't downloaded much for a while but I kow he was last night, so I would keep looking.
Old 25-04-2004, 12:28   #66
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Those stats don't really mean that much - they are on the cable modem's ethernet port for a start, before the proper throttling takes place, also the burst speed noted is nothing unusual due to the cable methodology.

Sorry but any perceived looseness in the way TW police traffic is just that - perceived. Both companies throttle in exactly the same way and where ntl users are using the surfboard modem they are using exactly the same equipment. Get Dan to do some MRTG graphs based on his cable modem's RF port and DOCSIS up and downstreams and you'll probably see a slightly different story on upstream once it's been through the leaky bucket and rate capping engine.
Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2004, 22:01   #67
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanadvise
Read the original post on DS and then read my earlier post here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...8&postcount=35

I thought you had more idea of what was going on Etc!

This isn't about Telewest - its about NTL !
oh in that case - can someone at NTL confirm this?

<edit: size of quote reduced>
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2004, 22:57   #68
Foo Fighter
cf.addict

Foo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enough

Ntl are surely going to follow this move arent they?

Although this company is run by crazy mindless tarts, they gotta have a little bit of sense?
Foo Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2004, 23:36   #69
Defiant
Permanently Banned

Defiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to all
Send a message via ICQ to Defiant Send a message via AIM to Defiant Send a message via MSN to Defiant Send a message via Yahoo to Defiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
they gotta have a little bit of sense?
Er nope
Defiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2004, 00:10   #70
rnb14
Inactive

rnb14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its been confirmed!!

http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyond...age=bbs_faster
rnb14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2004, 00:19   #71
Defiant
Permanently Banned

Defiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to all
Send a message via ICQ to Defiant Send a message via AIM to Defiant Send a message via MSN to Defiant Send a message via Yahoo to Defiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnb14
I feel sick. Why of why wont this bloody government open up the networks for some fair competition.

I mean come on look at this. What do we get. I'll tell ya. We get price increase's and cap's. They'll be giving us Mugs soon to rub it in
Defiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2004, 00:21   #72
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnb14
Whoah, so it has.

Quote:
blueyonder broadband 750Kb The standard blueyonder broadband service will increase in speed from 512Kb to 750Kb, but still cost from only £25 per month (£27.99 if no other Telewest service is taken).

blueyonder broadband 1.5Mb The faster 1Mb service also gets a 50 per cent bandwidth boost to 1.5Mb, for the current price of £35 per month (£37.99 if no other Telewest service is taken).

blueyonder broadband 3Mb The flagship 2Mb service becomes the UK's first residential 3Mb service, offering speeds up to 60 times faster than dial-up access, from £50 a month (£52.99 if no other Telewest service is taken).

Telewest's prices stay the same, & the speeds go up.

NTL's prices go up, & the speeds stay the same.

I wish I was in a TW area instead of NTL
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2004, 00:29   #73
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

** Dreams of the "merger" turning out to be TW taking over NTL - and providing the same speeds

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2004, 00:35   #74
Foo Fighter
cf.addict

Foo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enough

Right complaint email time, whos high up and needs abuse?
Foo Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2004, 00:43   #75
Florence
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pem
** Dreams of the "merger" turning out to be TW taking over NTL - and providing the same speeds
Best prey for that coz if the NTL boffins have it we are all lost and might aswell move over to ADSL.....