Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Telewest Broadband to increase speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Telewest Broadband to increase speeds

Old 23-04-2004, 21:31   #16
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive

Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Re: Telewest Broadband to increase speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

No if you read it I said you can't bring them down! Which means those would have to stay and to merge the packages need to be the same. NTL are going to be further away from Telewest in packages now making merging impossible.

NTL packages.. All capped to 1gig.
170K, 600K, 1mb..

Telewest only the 256K capped to 750mb a day.
256K, 512K , 1mb, 2mb.. now.. They also have a reduction on price if you have another product like phone or tv of them...

All round a better deal. I regret Telewest not winning when Nynex bought out C&W in the begining..
Are you absolutely sure that one of the following two scenarios wouldn't happen:

a) NTL come out on top and force all customers to accept their own packages, lumber on as usual and waste any advantage that could be gained form Telewest.

b) A two tier system, much like NTLs current TV network comes into operation, with people in former Telewest areas living the life of Reilly and former NTL customers wishing they could share in this good fortune.
Charlie_Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-04-2004, 21:44   #17
wheeliebin
Inactive

wheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant
I think its about time Aizad Hussain was sacked. His decisions upto now have really alienated customers & Staff to NTL. He really doesn't seem to have a clue. Where did they find this muppet
Ntl arent gonna sack someone cos they are unpopular with a small percentage of it's users/ex-users. He is judged on results.

BTW...Dont even compare BY and NTL....they are soon to become one
wheeliebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2004, 21:48   #18
wheeliebin
Inactive

wheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I haven't heard anything so can't comment........ BUT if this is true then the merger will look more like a telewest takeover they have the better deals so pull the punches.. You can't get the customers to take lower speeds once its launched..... Are NTL awake do they see they are strangling the company, stilting its potentual..... All I can see is BT and Telewest fighting it out for the best broadband supplier and NTL creeping under a rock..

Come on Telewest take over NTL [img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
That seems like something of an inane rant . How do the companies having different packages make a merger look like a takeover?
Dear me there will be much more significant problems in making a merger work before worrying about the bloody packages.

The two are very similar companies, get over it.
wheeliebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2004, 22:21   #19
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeliebin
That seems like something of an inane rant . How do the companies having different packages make a merger look like a takeover?
Dear me there will be much more significant problems in making a merger work before worrying about the bloody packages.

The two are very similar companies, get over it.
NTL would have customers leaving on mass if they made Telewest customers move down to what they offer....

Also NTL customers would move over to ADSL if NTL keep them on the outdated slower speeds.

BT are about to run trials that will test ADSL upto 10km 70db they are going all out to see what they can get from ADSL. They are looking for ways to reach the members of puplic who cannot have BB.. Also the fact that if these trials do show waht ADSL can do there could be 1 and 2 mb going further than it does now..
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2004, 22:29   #20
Bill C

Hi

My little contribution.

A user turns up having made his first post. Says telewest are going to do this and that (might be true might not be). You all then shot NTL down even when there is no proof that this will happen or you all start having a go at each other. Can we not wait till Monday and then see if this happens. Then if you need to rant on about how bad NTL are you will have the reason to.

Just my feelings.

Old 23-04-2004, 22:33   #21
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive

Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age

Quote:
NTL would have customers leaving on mass if they made Telewest customers move down to what they offer....

Also NTL customers would move over to ADSL if NTL keep them on the outdated slower speeds.

BT are about to run trials that will test ADSL upto 10km 70db they are going all out to see what they can get from ADSL. They are looking for ways to reach the members of puplic who cannot have BB.. Also the fact that if these trials do show waht ADSL can do there could be 1 and 2 mb going further than it does now..
Would NTL customers really move though? I am moving, due to the service and cost of NTL, but in the majority a lot of people will just soldier on for whatever reason. People on NTL seem to be more likely to downgrade their service than move. This works in NTLs favour when it comes down to it.

There is going to be a limit on ADSL though. At some point, the degradation of the signals gets so bad that data gets corrupted. They think that the might be able to go up to 10km, but this will depend a lot on the actual line to your house, but don't forget these people will probably only be able to get slower speeds. I doubt that 2Meg will go much further out than it is now. If you think practically you may get another km on 1 or 2meg, which isn't going to extend it that far.
Old 23-04-2004, 22:35   #22
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C
Hi

My little contribution.

A user turns up having made his first post. Says telewest are going to do this and that (might be true might not be). You all then shot NTL down even when there is no proof that this will happen or you all start having a go at each other. Can we not wait till Monday and then see if this happens. Then if you need to rant on about how bad NTL are you will have the reason to.

Just my feelings.

Funny thing is though, a lot of these 'rumours' often tend to be quite near the truth, if not 100% accurate. The NTL price rises were only a rumour at the end of last month, then they became reality.
Old 23-04-2004, 22:39   #23
Defiant
Permanently Banned

Defiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to all
Send a message via ICQ to Defiant Send a message via AIM to Defiant Send a message via MSN to Defiant Send a message via Yahoo to Defiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeliebin
Ntl arent gonna sack someone cos they are unpopular with a small percentage of it's users/ex-users. He is judged on results.

BTW...Dont even compare BY and NTL....they are soon to become one
A small percentage. If this board is anything to go by then I'd say its a large amount
Defiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2004, 22:40   #24
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Bubble
Funny thing is though, a lot of these 'rumours' often tend to be quite near the truth, if not 100% accurate. The NTL price rises were only a rumour at the end of last month, then they became reality.

True But i like to see proof before i rant about something
Old 23-04-2004, 22:42   #25
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive

Quote:
Go on rant, it'll make you feel better!
Old 23-04-2004, 22:45   #26
Defiant
Permanently Banned

Defiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to all
Send a message via ICQ to Defiant Send a message via AIM to Defiant Send a message via MSN to Defiant Send a message via Yahoo to Defiant

Quote:
There's a allot talking about this now. I think its because of some internal mail thats been sent out at Telewest. I'm going with it
Defiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2004, 22:50   #27
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Ok I will reserve my rants till monday then
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2004, 22:51   #28
Bill C

Quote:
Ok I will reserve my rants till monday then

Hi Kits
Old 23-04-2004, 22:55   #29
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant
There's a allot talking about this now. I think its because of some internal mail thats been sent out at Telewest. I'm going with it
Really makes £37.99 for 1meg with a cap, rigorously enforced or not, seem a little poor now.
Old 23-04-2004, 23:10   #30
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Bubble
Really makes £37.99 for 1meg with a cap, rigorously enforced or not, seem a little poor now.

your not wrong there
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote